New Thread: Crimea (Read 105 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
New Thread: Crimea
03/31/14 at 11:14:51

So I thought I would start a new thread.. just for Crimea. As the Ukraine saga unfolds it is possible that there will be news of just Crimea or just Ukraine or of course news of their interaction.

It was a long weekend for me, helping my mother, helping friends so I had very little time until sunday evening. I used that bit of time to try and look up info on Ukraine.. when I found this series on YouTube. I had seen some VICE "news" report before. I have no idea about their legitimacy, but videos pretty much speak for themselves (or seem to). I started at "Dispatch 14" and ended with 19. Dispatch 20 came out today.

In short these videos seem to be or a reporter just going around Crimea and poking his mike in everyones face. Pretty bold sometimes, a little smarter at others. It does re-affirm my position: the US should keep the heck out of this. It is just too messy. There really is no right or wrong, there is only those with power.. and THAT changes as well.

I will end with this. As someone who identifies strongly with the southern US, the part that attempted to secede from the US, I do not take pleasure in seeing this occur. Its very painful, right or wrong... governments do not feel pain... people do.  

Dispatch 14 - pretty good. At this point the Ukraine Military still have the bases, but the day after the referendum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqHeZUS9_EY

Dispatch 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoZwWzYBBkc

Dispatch 16 - We see the Ukraine gearing up. Kinda sad really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_fzoZww-9g

Dispatch 17 - The next few show the Ukrainian bases in Crimea being overtaken one by one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_fzoZww-9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fur0PJKvOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgtKoYBZVg

Dispatch 20 - I have not watched this yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhbbKoSH88c

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Re: New Thread: Crimea
Reply #1 - 03/31/14 at 12:55:47

thanks for posting.. interesting

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/01/14 at 05:47:40

They sure have a famous river there..
The Crimea River.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 04/01/14 at 07:22:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/01/14 at 05:47:40:
They sure have a famous river there..
The Crimea River.

Phunn---neee !

Try saying "Dniepr" without twisting your tongue  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/01/14 at 19:43:04

Ouwck ouwk,, I ga a cramp..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 04/02/14 at 07:03:10

Common Northerner: So where are you from?
Me: Mississippi
Northerner: I thought that was a river?

Undecided

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 04/03/14 at 01:21:34

Paris, France ?

You mean France is a Country ?

I thought Europe was a Country...  Roll Eyes

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 04/03/14 at 01:23:37

Meanwhile, in Madagascar...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/03/14 at 16:00:15

I listened to an interview today. Guy said he didnt believe the vote was an accurate representation, YES, it would have passed, because the majority want to be under Russian rule, but he didnt buy the 90+% Yes vote, at all. He has experience being there, cant remember his name,,

IP Logged
North Country Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bangor Maine
Reply #9 - 04/03/14 at 17:43:01

"Common Northerner: So where are you from?"

Bangor Maine sir.

North Country Girl   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 04/04/14 at 07:21:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/03/14 at 16:00:15:
I listened to an interview today. Guy said he didnt believe the vote was an accurate representation, YES, it would have passed, because the majority want to be under Russian rule, but he didnt buy the 90+% Yes vote, at all. He has experience being there, cant remember his name,,

That would certainly sit with the videos. The Tartars as group, boycotted the vote, but then is seems they were not sent voting notices anyway. then Ukrainian makes up some percent of the population which one would assume would not in favor of the going Russian. So sure, I think everyone acknowledges that vote was inflated. But by how much and did it make any difference. I personally don't think so either. the truth still seems to be that powers in the Ukraine did not have their act together to quell such a move. And.. I submit ... still don't.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 04/07/14 at 00:35:40

The Tartars are an ethnic group which lived there for centuries before the Russians even got there.
There is extremely little love lost between Russians and Tartars; I quote from Wikipedia:

"The Crimean Tatars emerged as a nation at the time of the Crimean Khanate, an Ottoman vassal state during the 15th to 18th centuries and one of the great centers of slave trade to the Ottoman Empire.
The Turkic-speaking population of the Crimea had mostly adopted Islam already in the 14th century, following the conversion of Ozbeg Khan.

Until the beginning of the 18th century, Crimean Tatars were known for frequent, at some periods almost annual, devastating raids into Ukraine and Russia.
For a long time, until the late 18th century, the Crimean Khanate maintained a massive slave trade with the Ottoman Empire and the Middle East which was the most important basis of its economy.
One of the most important trading ports and slave markets was Kefe (modern-day Feodòsiya) . Slaves and freedmen formed approximately 75% of the Crimean population.
"

Under Stalin, they suffered a fate very similar to that of the Choctaw  and the Seminole Nation under Andrew Jackson.

The Crimea is Ukrainian only from a political point of view.

Very much like Iron Mountain and Ironwood are in Michigan... if you know what I mean...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 04/07/14 at 03:59:22

Quote:
Under Stalin, they suffered a fate very similar to that of the Choctaw  and the Seminole Nation under Andrew Jackson.

Halito, naholla hobak.  That is Choctaw for hello, stingy greedy white person with no balls.  

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 04/07/14 at 05:40:50

I wouldn't know, I did 5 years public schooling in Virginia but they only taught French, in those days Spanish was considered "foreign".
Lips Sealed
As for stingy-greedy, I'd also include "stupid".

When the Allies decided to "teach those crummy WOPS a lesson" in 1946, not only did they split a town in half along the river (Gorìzia was split and the eastern half was given to Yugoslavia, renamed "Nova Gòritsa") just like Berlin...
...they didn't even check the local maps and split peoples' back yards from their homes, and the border sliced the local railroad, one rail to Italy, one rail to Yugoslavia!

Notice the road sign informing you of the border crossing; notice the railway overhead...

Roads were made impracticable because as they would climb/descend hills, bends and hairpins would "crossborder" a few feet into the adjoining Country!

Imagine a road block with submachine guns and dogs...  Undecided  Just to go around the bend !!!   Sad

The Romans were much more pragmatic, "you pay taxes, you live long and prosper; you raise fuss, we crush you"

One would have thought you guys had learned ... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #14 - 04/07/14 at 08:00:45

pg wrote on 04/07/14 at 03:59:22:
Quote:

Halito, naholla hobak.  That is Choctaw for hello, stingy greedy white person with no balls.  

HAHAH .. small world.. so small

My wife worked at the Choctaw Reservation ('90-'92). She learned what naholla was REAL fast (and taught me).

Sad thing is.. if my mother and her parents weren't so wound up, I could probably claim well over the 1/32 needed to get benefits.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 14:45:23

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › New Thread: Crimea

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.