Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
extended forks options? & how to swap em? (Read 1138 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
extended forks options? & how to swap em?
03/29/14 at 15:22:08

Hey! I want to put +4 forks on my savage I plan on cutting the back shocks to lower the rear about an inch or so. I know forks by frank is an option for about $250, is there any other options? ie. Other bike with longer forks that fit a savage, a place that sells +4 fork extent ions 4 savages, ect. (I know there are different forks and front ends on flea bay, just don't know if any will fit my bike)
Also if I go with franks or whatever what do I need (oil,tools,sect) and how do I make the swap?

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: extended forks options? & how to swap em?
Reply #1 - 03/29/14 at 19:32:53

Like this?  Arteacher has something like this.

http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/Suzuki-S40%20_05_pics.htm

Suzuki37.jpg

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 03/29/14 at 20:07:47

I LIKE that!  Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 03/29/14 at 20:16:33

I like that too.  If it were a nice chrome springer, it would be right. Smiley

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 03/29/14 at 20:17:11

I did Frank's. I like 'em. I don't think you'll be able to lower the rear and keep a suspension. I lowered my rear fender. Gives the appearance of lowered rear.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #5 - 03/29/14 at 20:38:21

Yea like that but for around a couple hundred rather than a couple grand like they want for those rape kits whoops I mean rake kits.
But I would add a peanut tank and old school sissy bar.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 03/31/14 at 03:15:53

If you extend the forks more than 2" without making some change in rake angle your handling will deteriorate badly. Franks Forks can make you a set, but he won't go more than 4" with the stock rake as the bike becomes dangerously unsafe after that.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 03/31/14 at 04:40:48

I disagree arteacher. I extended mine 4" and the high speed handling is infinitely better.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #8 - 03/31/14 at 10:33:00

Yea once you lower the back end and the fact that the bike already has 35 degrees you dont really need much more rake angle to add a little length. the trail should be perfect. Heres the post that really got me hooked on the idea. I was amazed at how great this bike looks just by a few modifications.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1176518249/0

Does anyone know what the stock length of the forks are? and what they are with 4 over stock?

I found these on ebay, I know that our tubes are 38mm in diameter and you can pretty much swap out any tubes as long as they are the same diameter right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Suzuki-RM400-Front-Forks-38MM-41-5-Long-/3508253...

Heres another cool thing I found: http://cincinnaticaferacer.com/the-library/forks/

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #9 - 04/06/14 at 13:41:44

I need to bump this thread I really need to know what the stock fork tubes are on the savage. Also if you have 4 over what length are those?
is it hard to take out the old tubes and add new ones? I mean whats the process of that?

I know that savage forks are 38mm diameter so could I just buy a set of forks from another bike that has longer tubes that are 38mm diameter, remove them and swap em into the savage?

These are probably too long.... Longer than 4 over I'm sure but here is an example lets say I buy these remove the tubes and swap them into my savage? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Suzuki-RM400-Front-Forks-38MM-41-5-Long-/3508253...

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 04/07/14 at 06:25:58

Not all 38mm tubes are the same, because the wall thickness can vary. If the walls are thicker or thinner you will need to change the dampers too.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 04/07/14 at 06:42:52

wickedbiker wrote on 03/29/14 at 20:38:21:
Yea like that but for around a couple hundred rather than a couple grand like they want for those rape kits whoops I mean rake kits.
But I would add a peanut tank and old school sissy bar.

The "rape kit" was worth every penny. The quality of the parts could not possibly be better. Solid steel triple plated trees and rake extender, and the best quality bearings I have ever seen. The fork tubes are thicker walled than stock. Installation was relatively easy, and you get their technician's personal cell #, which he actually answers, if you need help.
They provided the best customer service I have ever had anywhere. Period.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #12 - 04/07/14 at 07:18:39

Thats cool man I didnt mean anything by it I just dont have that kind of money for one simple modification. As a matter of fact I saw one of those kits on a Sportster that was for sale at a local shop by my house and don't get mad at me but it was hideous. It stood out in a crown and appeared to be big and clunky looking especially on a smaller model bike like the 1200. I'm sure it rides and feels great, but when I have the option to add a 40 degree rake by lower the rear and adding 4 over and having a nice clean look for at the most $300 thats more the route for me. I have a family of 5 and I think all together I spent about $1,600 on my bike to begin with so spending $2000 on a couple of parts to rake the front end just doesnt seem feesable to me.
In all honesty I would get some custom bearings and put a girder front end on my chop long before paying that kind of bread for a giant slab of metal hanging out of my front end. Smiley

I was really hoping to just swap out some tubes from another front end perhaps on ebay for $100 instead of the $250 + shipping to frank if I could avoid it. One option I dont have to really wait long to come up with the cash the other I do.
I know that the vulcan 700s and 750s have 38mm and the viragos and the RM 400s, 250s, 125s as well as some dirt bikes like the YZ and a few others I just cant really see were anyone thought of or did this other than a select few swapping entire front ends.

So unless someone chimes in and says "YEA! Tjhose there vulcan tubes  L do the trick!" or somethin to the likes I suppose I stuck waitin to casll franks forks forked by frank or whatever once I can come up with an excuse to take $300 out of 3 little mouths to feed.

Heres the ride I had right before I got my savage
1974 CB750 SOHO 4banger Chop Amen savior frame with girder front end. 4 carbs all with cone breathers (and yes thats a real oil bag under the seat LOL) Grin

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #13 - 04/07/14 at 09:25:16

Well if I dont get some kind of help with this it looks like Im screwed. I just called Franked and he basically told me Im forked hes not making forks for the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #14 - 04/07/14 at 10:10:22

I would ask the chopper kit folks if they would just sell the forks.

edit: Never mind. They do. Here's the link: http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/parts_forks-honda.htm

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:29:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › extended forks options? & how to swap em?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.