Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
extended forks options? & how to swap em? (Read 1138 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: extended forks options? & how to swap em?
Reply #15 - 04/07/14 at 10:19:23

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I posted an image of a before and after and also did a post on my thoughts on the handling. Here are the links:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1364074176

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1364665799/0

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #16 - 04/07/14 at 10:38:45

I know I love what you did man I really can't wait. I have to do this sooner than later. This is a way better option to the rake kits

Was it hard to make the swap Greg?

I called him back he's an old timer I told him there must be some kind of mistake cause a bunch of guys had bought em from him and he confirmed it was the ls650 and not the sv650 that he was thinking of he said in the first call.
I found that link also and they bare both close in price
Frank wanted $279 + $30 ship to Fl
And AME wants around $331 shipped
Looks like I have to come up with some bread  Undecided

WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #17 - 04/07/14 at 13:27:37

It wasn't a hard swap for me, wicked. I paid a shop to put the new tubes in the lowers. Smiley  Then  I installed the assembly. I didn't have the tools to do the fork work, so I farmed it out.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #18 - 04/21/14 at 14:58:01

Greg wrote on 04/07/14 at 10:10:22:
I would ask the chopper kit folks if they would just sell the forks.

edit: Never mind. They do. Here's the link ...

I just called up the chopper kit folks and they said that they actually get their 4 over tubes from Franks and that I would be better off going directly through Franks if I was not ordering the whole kit.

WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #19 - 04/27/14 at 09:37:43

Interesting.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 04/27/14 at 09:46:30

When I bought my kit the fork tubes were shipped from Frank's, not Chopper Kits.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 04/27/14 at 10:03:25

Local chopper shop has a couple springers for sale... set of conversion bearings is around $40... should I price the twisted front leg +4 or the I cant remember +10 the next time I'm down that way? Both are (gag) solid chrome... hate that stuff if it is more than a slight accent piece.

Would work out to +10 and +16 on a Savage chassis... which takes a -2 from Paughco, DNA, V-Twin Mfg, etc to run a stock frame height with a springer fork.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #22 - 04/28/14 at 16:01:06

WD wrote on 04/27/14 at 10:03:25:
Local chopper shop has a couple springers for sale... set of conversion bearings is around $40... should I price the twisted front leg +4 or the I cant remember +10 the next time I'm down that way? Both are (gag) solid chrome... hate that stuff if it is more than a slight accent piece.

Would work out to +10 and +16 on a Savage chassis... which takes a -2 from Paughco, DNA, V-Twin Mfg, etc to run a stock frame height with a springer fork.

Thats what I was thinking to, I see girders on craigslist all the time for $100. Where do you get conversion bearings for $40?
My other question is there a way to use those bearings, lets say they are 1" can you then add a harley front end from lets say an older sportster or some sort of smaller harley that you could actually buy a rakes set of trees and over forks. They have a way to do this for the intruders are they the same size. There really has to be viable and feasable options for this bike to have an extended front end. My major selling point on this bike was the already 35 degrees in rake. I also like the Honda VLX and the intruder 1400 all having a massive stock rake and no need for welding a neck just triple trees and extended forks and lower the rear then you go to town and this bike looks great with a sportster tank I could only imagine having it raked out with 5 degree triple trees and 6 over forks and some ape hanger z bars MAN O MAN!!! Wink and the way these little bikes cook it would feel hot rod all the way BB!!

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 04/28/14 at 22:34:27

If the raked trees fit an 800 Intruder, they fit an 800 Marauder, a 1400 Intruder AND an LS650. Same steering stem size. 800 Intruder front end is a 3 nut direct swap AND gives you a front wheel driven, high mount speedometer, oh, AND a better quality rotor and caliper. Master cylinder is still substandard.

$40 conversion bearings is easy, I go to the bearing house with a tracing of the inner dimension, outer dimension and bearing thickness I need. They're just Timken bearings, nothing exotic.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #24 - 04/29/14 at 16:18:34

No kidding??? So this triple tree will fit our savage?  http://www.bikercom.com/shop/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=GZ-090104

Cause the only one I could find where it said " made for savage" was $750 and there was another one I think for around $1100 it was robbery

I really want about 5-6 degrees added to the 35 so I can go with 6 over and slam the back shocks. With the vs800 trees in that ad and the forks were looking at $800 give   or take. That sure beats $2000 for one of those chopper kits and you don't have to have that crazy peice hanging on your front end. So it looks sharp too Tongue

I really love this savage chop they have the right idea and I bet its fun as hell to ride

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 04/29/14 at 22:52:38

Send him a pm, that's one of Demin's builds. He lives on this forum.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #26 - 05/03/14 at 10:47:19

Heres a great example of what I'm talking about. In my opinion the Savage and intruders really look great as old school chops

Can anyone absolutly confirm that VS800 raked triple trees will work on our bike?
I would really hate to come up with the over $400 only to find out they didn't work. I can't understand why if they did work the manufacture would not include the S40/savage as working with them. Wouldn't they make more money that way???
Or do I have to have the entire front end from that bike to go with the trees for this to work.

I guess my main question is where can I get a fair priced set of raked trees for this bike 5 or 6 degree?

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 05/04/14 at 07:10:56

The trees fit, but you really need the tubes/sliders, axle/spacers and the wheel assembly off a donor 800. Since the 800 front end is a bit wider than the LS front end.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #28 - 05/04/14 at 08:25:47

That is a stock frontend on my purple bike.I think the stacked headlights make it look longer. Undecided.And no fender makes a difference too.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #29 - 05/06/14 at 15:56:25

I have decided to just go with a 6 over springier when ever I can come up with the $450-$550 which really is better than buying a raked triple tree for $650 or a rake kit for $2000

I would do the fork tubes for $350 but it just seems easier to me throw in a springer and be done and even though it gives it a nice old school chopper look I still think the fork tubes look cleaner. But I have to compress springs with a special tool, seal forks and whatever else plus if I want 6 over or more I have to find trees which not only are they pricey but I can barely find anything custom for this bike let alone raked trees.

On flea-bay I found a springer for $429 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DNA-SPRINGER-FRONT-END-6-OVER-STOCK-LENGTH-CHROME-NEW...

and

a savage 650 springer conversion kit (Bearings) for 1"springer $150
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Springer-Frontend-Conversion-Kit-/170915629323...

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › extended forks options? & how to swap em?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.