Send Topic Print
Exhaust fitting (Read 136 times)
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust fitting
03/27/14 at 14:28:24

I am probably being very naïve here but I have bought a brand now downpipe ( stock ) and also a used ( but very good conditions ) silencer ( muffler ). Because of what I have read... I have assumed that nothing has changed in the dimensions of the stock savage exhaust system since the models incept until now. So I have assumed that my shiny new downpipe would fit into my slightly older muffler ( silencer ). It doesn't seem to however. Various diametres seem ok.. but when I marry up the downpipe AND the muffler the overall length seems to be about an inch too long. I may be doing something wrong but I can't see how. Is there anything that can tell me how these things go together and what the various dimensions should be please ? Embarrassed

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exhaust fitting
Reply #1 - 03/27/14 at 18:36:49

I don't believe that there have been any changes.....but I have never owned a stock muffler.  I have 3 headers from various years...and they are all the same.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/27/14 at 21:29:08

Ditch that muffler, get a Dyna. Better looking, MUCH nicer sound, & its faster, immediately, cuz its lighter. Mite need to rejet, ehh,, but who cares? Itll run better, sound sexier & be prettier.. all for a whoppin 20 bucks..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/27/14 at 21:51:45

Stock pipe, and stock muff?...

You just ain't pushin' hard enough...

PS... there's a fairly substantial, lead impregnated, gasket goes in between them two parts...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bobdog

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bremerton, Wa.
Reply #4 - 03/28/14 at 04:17:06

Yes, the coupler gasket .

2009 red w/white,emgo short vintage style muffler , carb spacer mod. 2 washers. raptor petcock, 4" uni pod filter and 50.pilot, 150 main .
bobdog bobdog bobdog   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 03/28/14 at 08:01:40

I know the muffler is a beech to get off the pipe, so it is in there pretty tight.  I had to take the whole assembly, stand it upright and bounce the end of the muffler on a block of wood on the floor to get it to seat. Be sure you are pretty lined up so you don't have to twist it to get the bracket to line up on the frame.  DO NOT try to hammer it in place with the  down pipe attached to your engine, you could break your motor or strip out the bolts. That would be a bad day.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 03/28/14 at 13:23:26

My Dyna was leaking so I put the stock muffler on for now.  I had more problems getting it off than n.  Putting it back on was a snap.  Try twisting and rocking it to get it to seal into the header.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/30/14 at 09:14:47

Thanks folks..

Turned out that slamming into the floor..., hard a few times seemed to seat the header and muffler ok. Well at least it looks and sounds ok.

Thanks for all the replies.. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust fitting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.