Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plug Fix Question (Read 120 times)
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Plug Fix Question
03/27/14 at 00:17:59

So i have the head all apart, I set it to TDC(I think?)

I lined up the marks on the timing cover and the nut, loosened all the bolts and pulled the top.

Now, i dont know if i was on intake or compression? Does it matter? Also when i pulled the cover off, the rocker arms moved a little, do i have to do anything to them when i install the cover, or am i ok just putting it back on? Was gonna check the Valve clearance when i have it all back together and re-torqued, Is that the right time to do that?

And that brings me to my last questions, without pulling the motor, how do i retorque the bolts in the cover, The ones under the timing covers, and close under the frame, without pulling the motor?  i can barely get a tiny ratchet in there to get them out.

Oh, and the plug was half way out of the hole. no wonder she was dumping oil everywhere.

thanks in advance for all the help, this site has single handedly  made me confident enough to do major modification to my bike. Thanks guys!

If it's not thumpin, im not humpin.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Plug Fix Question
Reply #1 - 03/27/14 at 04:59:27

It does not matter if it was on compression or intake stroke when you took it apart.....the crank and piston don't care.....the cam controls which cycle it is on and you will assemble it with the cam lobes down when you put it back together.

The head cover bolts are small 6mm bolts with 10mm heads.  They require very little torgue and are easy to strip out.  If you have a torque wrench that fits and goes to those small settings....great.  If not - just snug them up with a 1/4" drive socket set, combination wrench or with a 3/8" drive socket using very little force.  They should be snug.....not tight. If you remember how little force it took to loosen them - you need to install them with a bit less force than it took to loosen them.

You will adjust the valves after the head cover is back on.  Rotate the engine over a couple of times afte the head cover is back on, then adjust the valves, then before you put the valve inspection caps back on try and dump some oil onto the cam and rockers.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/27/14 at 06:48:42

You don't use assembly lube on the cam lobes, Dave?  Just need to use one that's ok with wet clutches and then I do an oil change after I ride it around the block a few times (I use cheap oil for my initial fill after a rebuild).

I put a bit of assembly lube on the cam lobes, then reassemble.  Keeps any excess RTV from getting stuck on there, and keeps the cam lobes from getting skid marks on initial start up.

And I dump oil in through the valve inspection covers (both of them) quickly to flood the area when adding oil back in the bike before starting it up for the first time.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/27/14 at 06:53:10

seedubs1 wrote on 03/27/14 at 06:48:42:
You don't use assembly lube on the cam lobes, Dave?
And I dump oil in through the valve inspection covers (both of them) quickly to flood the area when adding oil back in the bike before starting it up for the first time.

I use cam assembly lube on a new cam, and if I have some laying around I would probably put some on the lobes on a used cam - but the assembly lube is not really necessary on a cam that has been running on the rockers for a long time and everything is already broken in.  I do lube the cam bearings surfaces lightly when putting everything together, then dump a bunch of oil on top through the valve access cover as you stated.  

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #4 - 03/27/14 at 10:59:09

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I'll have her all back together tonight, how long should i wait to let the RTV set up before i start the bike?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/27/14 at 11:06:56

Loud3r wrote on 03/27/14 at 10:59:09:
Thanks for all the help, hopefully I'll have her all back together tonight, how long should i wait to let the RTV set up before i start the bike?

Might as well let it sit overnight.....Better safe than sorry.

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #6 - 03/27/14 at 12:35:32

Thanks for the info, gotta leave her at my dads while i fix the leak, got pretty far yesterday, then after i got the plug in i realized his torque wrench only goes down to 20FT LBS. :/ Oh well! i'll get to finishing her today and let it dry over night. here's some pics, any insight, or motormasters that see anything off or odd, besides the plug that's sticking out (that's the way i found it BTW)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/27/14 at 21:26:46

Just remember the middle bolt has to be in the head cover as it goes in & the "upside down" bolt has to be in place in the corner. Take yer time smearin the goo on. Get it thin & even, that is what sets the clearance on the cam bearings. Take your time torquing it down, let it crush the goo flat. But dont Squeeeeeze it all out,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #8 - 03/27/14 at 22:50:21

got her all buttoned up and torqued to 5.5lbs, just to be safe. good enough? did one dry run, put the cover on almost got it perfect, didnt get the upside down bolt perfect, had to start over. two trys, not bad. checking valve clearance tomorrow and starting her up. lets hope all is well!

IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #9 - 03/27/14 at 23:21:54

Well i think i messed up, i put RTV around the flat part around the cam..am i screwed? i really hope i dont have to pull the head and wait another day...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/28/14 at 04:44:41

That square area is the well that holds oil for the cam to splash around in.  There is nothing on the head cover that snugs up against it.

With sealer stuck on that edge.......there is a possibility the stuff could come off someday and restrict the drain hole down the front of the cylinder.....or it could get into the sump.  It might not do any harm - but I don't know for sure.  If it was mine......I would take a few hours and do it over so that I wasn't constantly worrying about it.

For the torque on the head cover bolts - Too loose is better than too tight......as too tight often strips out the threads in the cylinder and is hard to repair.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/28/14 at 08:50:16

I NEVER touched mine,, a 2005, had it 8 years, 20,000 miles, never a problem,, I never retorqued the heads on my car, or truck, or mower, or any other bike.. either,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Loud3r

Sacramento, Ca

Reply #12 - 03/28/14 at 11:58:10

Well, better to take it apart and redo it the right way, then do it the wrong way and have to pay for it later. Looks like the cover is coming off again, not taking any chances. Also got the syringe for easy application. thought it was silly at first, now i totally understand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:28:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Plug Fix Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.