Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version (Read 1724 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version
Reply #150 - 04/16/14 at 10:13:01

I am now getting the messages on the opening of windows and google chrome.

"Your hardware will no longer be supported in the near future and updates for your computer will no longer be available"

Hardware not supported? They should say "our software updates for your computer hardware" or somesuch...

Oh and mint 15 and 16 are not recognizing my wife's windows xp and wants to do a full install....LOL... i'm now downloading all my game updates on my hard drive and will see if it recognizes my windows xp, if I does i'll dual boot mine and full install on her's.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #151 - 04/16/14 at 14:35:09

Well after spending the last day and a half trying to reformat, defrag and install all updates on two hard drives that are approx. 8-10 yrs old.

Hard drive 1 (wife's) Western Digital 250gig, loaded and updated windows just fine, runs our game just fine (little slower).

Mint 15 and 16 , 32 bit cinnamon will not recognize the windows system on it and says there is nothing loaded on the drive and do i want to do a full install?

Hard drive 2 (mine) Seagate 250gig, loaded windows just fine, game refused to load fully (says bad sector on the hard drive)

Loaded mint 16, 32bit, recognized windows system, so i dual boot partitoned, linux started up fine on dual boot, so i updated all the files. Upon  reboot to windows, system shows windows icon and loading bar, then resets and reboots.
No matter what I do, or choose for the windows reboot (safe, last know good boot, safe with drivers ect... or regular) it will reset and reboot... so good bye windows on it.

I'll keep playing around with stuff, let ya know, and even go to the forum for linux and put in my 2 cents and ask some questions.

Oh, and it will NOT recognize my wireless linksys card Sad

(posted with mint 16, 32bit on old system)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #152 - 04/16/14 at 15:40:53

Did you burn your copy of the
boot recovery / boot repair disk?

Using the boot repair disk and now before it gets any more complicated might allow you to get back everything you're after.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #153 - 04/16/14 at 15:47:57

I'll slap it in there, see what happens Smiley

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #154 - 04/17/14 at 00:36:42

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/14 at 05:04:09:

Art, if the words Safe Boot or Safe Mode carry no meaning for you, just ignore them.  They are just words.  

I'm not here to teach you Windows.

Eventually something will eat your XP machine and you may stick the Mint DVD disk you bought into the optical drive and boot it because you have no choice.

You will be surprised that it boots into a fully working Mint machine that does not install itself unless you tell it to, and that you can run as a fully operating system off the install DVD itself (abet slowly, since DVD drives are slow) complete with all the needed office softwares.  

You can try it out before you even install it.

Roll Eyes

I've yet to find a good vid for replacing the system battery, and I haven't got my stuff backed up to CD roms yet, other than that I'm ready to give it a whirl
I guess I can run off the DVD drive without worying about backing up though?
just to see how the OS works, and not fear losing stuff

also spent most of tuesday and part of wednesday pulling and cleaning the Ninjas carbs (now I remember why I don't like sportbikes, it takes longer to get the plastics on and off than it does to do the fool carbs)

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #155 - 04/17/14 at 11:42:03

Art Webb wrote on 04/17/14 at 00:36:42:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/16/14 at 05:04:09:

Art, if the words Safe Boot or Safe Mode carry no meaning for you, just ignore them.  They are just words.  

I'm not here to teach you Windows.

Eventually something will eat your XP machine and you may stick the Mint DVD disk you bought into the optical drive and boot it because you have no choice.

You will be surprised that it boots into a fully working Mint machine that does not install itself unless you tell it to, and that you can run as a fully operating system off the install DVD itself (abet slowly, since DVD drives are slow) complete with all the needed office softwares.  

You can try it out before you even install it.

Roll Eyes

I've yet to find a good vid for replacing the system battery, and I haven't got my stuff backed up to CD roms yet, other than that I'm ready to give it a whirl
I guess I can run off the DVD drive without worying about backing up though?
just to see how the OS works, and not fear losing stuff

also spent most of tuesday and part of wednesday pulling and cleaning the Ninjas carbs (now I remember why I don't like sportbikes, it takes longer to get the plastics on and off than it does to do the fool carbs)

Hi Art,
if you can work on Ninja multi carb assemblies you can find and change the cmos battery on your computer  Smiley
Don't know what your case is like but it will either have a few screws on the back, a thumb screw or you need to remove the front bezel.

Here I am continuing to remove the bezel and cover to one of the computers in the preceding photos.

and the battery could look like this on your mother board.

Some really old motherboards had your typical 9 volt battery as well, like you used to have in transistor radios that always went dead when you were on the beach with your girl... but I digress  Smiley
HTH,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #156 - 04/17/14 at 15:18:49

that's actualy better than the vid I found on you tube, thatnks
ninja is a 500r, so only 2 carbs, mostly it hard to get them suckers outa there haha

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #157 - 04/17/14 at 15:19:45

Art Webb wrote on 04/17/14 at 15:18:49:
that's actualy better than the vid I found on you tube, thatnks
ninja is a 500r, so only 2 carbs, mostly it hard to get them suckers outa there haha

after changing the battery will I have to do all the settings or just time / date?

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #158 - 04/17/14 at 18:23:42

You should just have to use default settings in bios. And set the date and time. Not sure what your bios is like but you may have to set the HDD perimeters, most bios's will auto detect.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #159 - 04/17/14 at 19:28:48

Well, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is out now, and it seems it has a new installation method cooked into it called Updater.

You do two-three clicks and get a new menu that lets you update from the previous version to the next version using the auto-update function -- without going through the DVD thing at all.

Shocked      progress, she comes !!!

This sounds very interesting to me, and it will also be interesting to see if the Mint folks can leverage it over into Mint for this one as well.

Installation could be as easy as 3 clicks if they can do it and it does work well.

New stuff, it is always nice to hear about new stuff but it always seems to be actually work better in the second or third year when the gimmicks all get worked out totally and become completely stable.

"But hopeful for the future, we are"  sez Master Yoda ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #160 - 04/17/14 at 20:36:05

BAHAHAHAHA
well folks the joke's on me
I finaly tried to load the Linuxdisk into my DVD drive, only to find my DVD drive has, at some point in time, died
not sure at this point, looks like I'ma need new hardware one way or the other

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #161 - 04/18/14 at 04:56:26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-11-6-C7-Chromebook-2GB-16GB-Chrome-OS-C710-2856-...

$130 and it has a Cat5 connection (wired 10/100 Lan) according to the listing and according to the reviews posted on the web.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C710-Chromebook-11-6-C710-2856/product-reviews/B00...

READ them CAREFULLY before ordering, it isn't Walmart and take backs will be much harder.

I read a few, one guy says don't buy it as it requires wireless printing too.  He says you need to have Wifi throughout your house to go Chromebook.
  This one has a Cat5 Lan connector but apparently all of Chrome OS defaults to wifi.   It can be worked around by someone with basic PC skills and a wifi connection to start out from.   People who want plug & go need to have a wifi base to work off of.

But, this one is $65 cheaper than the one you bought originally, this gives you the budget bucks to buy a Wifi router.   Rub becomes that if a modern wifi printer is really required as well, but the cost savings isn't going to buy one of those.

Well, you are out of luck going to the cheap new stuff since you lack Wifi in your house and the new stuff DEPENDS on current technology being used throughout the house.

Shame that, but good to know about it up front.

« Last Edit: 04/18/14 at 06:59:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #162 - 04/18/14 at 10:10:17

I may just get a refurb with widows7, as I saw one on walmarts website for $128 (it should work fine without wifi)
I can always put Linux on it later
to me wifi will never be as secure as ethernet, which is not as secure as I would like
we shall see though

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #163 - 04/18/14 at 21:41:55

OF, My hard drive is partitioned into c and d with windows xp. The d partition is fat 32 file system, and the c partition is ntfs file system  ,the d partition is only a couple gb. the c partition is the majority of a 200 gb hard drive.How does the two different file systems ,partitions,effect  the installation process? Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #164 - 04/19/14 at 01:28:53

Your D: drive is your recovery partition and you should leave that alone.

Your C: drive is your active partition, and you should defragment it in Windows and compress it and see how much free space you actually have available in it.

What the installation program will do is let you shrink your C: drive and make room for the Linux drive.

You don't need more than 20 gigs for the Linux set up, it simply doesn't take any more room than that.  

Some folks with large C: drives are letting Linux have over 100 gig which is unnecessarily huge, so when you get to that stage actively grab the colored space for the new drive and adjust it with your mouse to only a reasonable 20 gig Linux drive.

Linux only really occupies 8 gigs on a standard install, the rest of the space is for your programs and stuff which will not mass all that large as Linux programs are tight and tiny, just like Linux itself.

What your old drives are formatted in doesn't matter, Linux can read any file format.  The partitions that are created by the install procedure will be in Ext4 format, which Windows (and its viruses) can't read.

The Linux hard drive format itself is a better format, and the drive organization is superior as well.   You NEVER have to defragment a Linux drive or do any form of maintenance to it, ever.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 09:16:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dual Booting to Linux Mint 17, Mate version

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.