No lights, nothing... (Read 116 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
No lights, nothing...
03/23/14 at 18:26:14

I finished the carb mods and Dyna muffler install, rode the bike to the gas station (ran FANTASTIC!). Went to start it up after filling up and nothing. Nada. No lights, nothing. I tried all the permutations of clutch, neutral etc. Walked home, drove back with the tool box, took the battery cables off, cleaned 'em up, checked the fuses and connections under the tank. Everything seems to be OK. Still nothing. Would a battery just totally crap out like that?

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: No lights, nothing...
Reply #1 - 03/23/14 at 21:59:03

Any voltage on the battery?
If you pulled the carb and re-installed it, you may have disturbed the wiring under the seat. There are some wire blocks there(2 I think), I know if one of those blocks is separated - no lights or power.
If there is voltage on the battery, check the connection on the wiring blocks.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 03/24/14 at 02:17:56

There are 2 fuses under the edge of the seat on the right hand side.  You can still get to them without taking the sear off.  I hope this helps.  If I remember correctly they are 15 watt.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 03/24/14 at 10:26:57

I checked all the blocks and fuses. They seem to be ok. Taking the battery in today. Thanks!

IP Logged
curmudgeon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/24/14 at 11:48:16

I don't have much to add - just that if the battery isn't the cause to start tracing wiring and look for an open or short that shouldn't be there. It's not much fun, but I'm really at a loss based on your description of the issue.

I'll be subscribing to this thread though, because I'm interested to see what your solution is.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 03/24/14 at 15:58:32

There is one connector under the tank, right side looking down sitting on seat, toward the front.  If it comes apart, the bike is pretty well dead.  I've had mine do it once.  Pushed it back together even though it didn't look to have come loose.  Fired right up after that.

I am with everyone else, fuses, connectors.  It's not usual for a battery to just suddenly be dead.  I would look for something that has come loose or is blown.

Hope you get it figured out soon.  Prime riding season is not far away.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/24/14 at 18:22:25

If the horn wont make a sound & the fuses are good, no lites anywhere,, yea, make certain of the connector under the tank,.,One guy had his vibrate loose,, he rode home, parked, messed around a while, decided to go for a ride & Nothin,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 03/24/14 at 23:19:42

Turns out it was the battery. Since it started up fine just ten minutes before, I'd-a-thunk I would have at least gotten "dash lights" out of it, but I guess not.  New battery and a ten mile ride after work with the new carb  mods, air filter and Dyna muffler. Oh. Baby. What a difference!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 03/24/14 at 23:20:38

Steve H wrote on 03/24/14 at 15:58:32:
Hope you get it figured out soon.  Prime riding season is not far away.

I live in Phoenix... prime riding season has been here since November.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 03/25/14 at 04:22:06

Yeah...I see. Sorry, I didn't look at where you are.  It's about to get really hot for you in a while.  You do still ride even though it's over 100, don't you?

Around here if it's close to 100, it's usually 90% humidity and miserable.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 03/25/14 at 08:34:41

Steve H wrote on 03/25/14 at 04:22:06:
Yeah...I see. Sorry, I didn't look at where you are.  It's about to get really hot for you in a while.  You do still ride even though it's over 100, don't you?

Around here if it's close to 100, it's usually 90% humidity and miserable.

Yeah, I'll take dry heat any day. I work construction and have worked outside in 118.  Riding in the summer isn't too bad actually, just imagine standing in front of your oven with a fan blowing in your face.  The hardest part is getting on a black leather seat after it's been sitting in the sun for a couple hours.  Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/25/14 at 10:41:15

Carry a towel, cover the seat.

I strapped a sports cooler bottle on mine,,& hauled a coupla bottles of water. Wet the tee shirt, leave the long sleeve unbuttoned a few buttons,, re-wet at a light,, just keeping the chest cool really helped me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:26:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No lights, nothing...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.