Front Axle grease (Read 101 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Front Axle grease
03/23/14 at 12:05:37

Hey Guys,

I am putting my front end together and I am wondering If I should go out and grab bearing/axle grease or if what I have now is good enough:

Quaker state nlgi no.2 Multipurpose grease (brown lithium i think?)

Or would this be a bad idea?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Front Axle grease
Reply #1 - 03/23/14 at 17:59:08

Dunno about yours, but mine has sealed wheel bearings so no grease needed. If you just want to smear something on the axle to make it slide in and out smoothly, just about any grease will do.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 03/23/14 at 19:10:14

gizzo wrote on 03/23/14 at 17:59:08:
Dunno about yours, but mine has sealed wheel bearings so no grease needed. If you just want to smear something on the axle to make it slide in and out smoothly, just about any grease will do.

+1

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/24/14 at 04:56:33

I remember correctly - the outside of the bearings have a seal....the inside does not.  If you take the bearings out you can cleand and grease them from the backside.  I used Lucas Wheel Bearing grease - but any quality wheel bearing grease will work fine.

The axle.....just put a light coat of grease or oil on it to help prevent corrosion and help with installation.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/24/14 at 20:33:27

I just use a synthetic blend from Valvoline.   On a side note I just learned this the hard way,  luckily before it became a serious problem but make sure not to mix up which side the spacers go.   While I was doing my fork lowering mod I mixed them up not realizing the difference in length.   My bike worked fine but I noticed front wheel squeaks.   Rather than pay Ryca $80 plus shipping I made my own spacers and tool for about $5.  I was worried I had got the spacers off my a fraction of a mm and this was the cause.   Well I just replaced my brake pads as they were on there last leg and I was disturbed to see that the left side of the caliper mount had clearly had metal on metal friction (explains the soot that covered my left fork).   I got a friend who's been working with bikes a long time to come help me out and very quickly he saw the problem.   Now there is plenty of clearance and i've marked my right spacer to avoid this problem in the future.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:23:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Axle grease

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.