Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
2001 LS650 savage...work in progress (Read 1140 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress
Reply #75 - 05/09/14 at 12:06:01

Did a few short runs and kept track of voltage... on the slow short runs after stopping the voltage was usually at about 13.80v and dropped down to around 12.45v after about 1/2 hour, at least this means its charging.
On the long runs (4-5miles) at high speeds (55-70mph)after stopping, I was getting 12.84, and it would fall to about 12.35-12.45v.
Not sure what to do, is 12.35volts good enough? or should I just go ahead and get a new battery?
If I do get a new battery I am going for the small 8cell type and get rid of the battery box and probably the air box after the trip in june. I'm bringing the trickle charger with me, so if I have to i'll charge the battery every night.
On another subject.....the risers.... I found a couple of old aircraft engine mount spacers, aluminum, 3/16" thick and 2" tall, what say you all? think they will work?
Where did you guys get the bolts for your 2" risers? ACE? Lowe's? Did you use metric or standard? What grade?  How long?
I don't want to mess the steering up by getting the wrong stuff and i'll see if I have some bolts in my mess, but i'll have to go to a "grade" site to figure them out.

« Last Edit: 05/10/14 at 10:37:33 by old_rider »  

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #76 - 05/10/14 at 15:37:30

Got the risers added on today.... here are 2 vids, one explaining what I plan to do and one after its done....short 2 min videos so that photobucket will accept them.

P.S. Let me know if the vids work for you guys..

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #77 - 05/10/14 at 15:40:01

Oh and I figured out why I was popping on quick throttle release and fast downshift....ummm....my flange bolts on the header were a little loose...guess I needed to recheck them after I put on the Dyna exhaust. LOL Cheesy

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #78 - 05/10/14 at 18:08:38

The videos work, now we'll need a report of how you like the spacers  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #79 - 05/13/14 at 15:45:09

Well, I got Ed's forward controllers put on, took me 2 days and a lot of bellyaikin' and cursin' my broken body, but it is done!

Total different ride, legs are not cramped, center of gravity seems to have shifted a little back, and I can lean into my backrest now.

The risers work great too! I can comfortably lean back into the backrest without stretchin' my arms to far.

I tried to do some videos on the process, but it ended up poor in some area's (legs in way, body in way, bad lighting) so I am not sure i'll post it. I will try to edit it with windows software, but on the little laptop so I have some good files here that are not buggered up.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #80 - 05/14/14 at 09:53:51

Goofin' with the battery today and followed instructions on http://www.batterystuff.com/blog/how-to-tell-if-your-battery-is-bad.html , at crank the voltage dropped to 8.5v.

It will still start, but this bike sat in a garage for two or three years and got charged once a year when his mom came to visit.

It charges to 13.4v but then drops off to 12.3 - 12.4v, so i'm thinking new battery before the trip this summer.

Going ahead and getting a smaller battery for the teardown and rebuild next fall. Probably an Antigravity 8 cell, so it will fit in the small bracket in front of the rear tire.

Anyone know of a good place to get one cheap? I will be on the look-out for the next couple weeks.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #81 - 05/14/14 at 11:04:22

Try Amazon.

Lisa finds all kinds of deals for me there, for the bikes, the Super Beetle, even for the fairly rare 1949 and 1969 Dodge trucks. Rare only in the sense that most of them got worked to death (49) or rotted away to nothing (69) and you don't see many out and about on the roads anymore.

Bike is looking good. If you still want to try FL bars on yours, they only run me $10 if I pay cash, shipping would likely be another $10 or less. Looks like we're even going to put a set of them on Doug's 1500 Drifter...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #82 - 05/14/14 at 22:15:21

Thanks WD.... for right now i'm keeping the setup till after the june trip and maybe up into the fall.

I am going to order me the antigravity 8 cell... smaller one only puts out 240 crankin' amps, but someone here told me that the one they have works fine.

All I need to figure out is how to extend the cables... jumpers or new cables? that is the question.... of course I want to go cheap for now, until the build redo in the fall/winter.

Not sure how many are following this thing cause I keep posting stuff, but hope someone has done the small battery in the lower bracket and will chip in to tell me how they done it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #83 - 05/14/14 at 23:04:46

6 gauge multi strand copper wire, you can get lugs that size at NAPA, Carquest, Tractor Supply, etc. I use it for the generator to mechanical voltage regulator connection on Ancient Blue, the 49 Dodge truck... I think you can get it in black, red, white, yellow or green. Mine is white, left over from hardwiring a 220V hot tub... works fine, I spun the generator on the junk engine over and got zapped.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #84 - 05/15/14 at 21:46:25

Stopped by a local bike shop, they sell "parts unlimited" batteries... mechanic was talking up the one they use on the 1000RR... dang thing only weighs about 2lbs and is 4" by 2 3/4" by about 4" tall... said they could weld up a bracket for it cheap too...

Maybe i'll let them fix me up with it.... only $85 to boot.... dang small bolts though...

Also my speedo cable was "wicking" again... went to auto zone and picked up a set of multi-sized "O" rings and put a thick one on it..and re-taped and cable clamped it... wow...  does anyone have any replacement numbers for it??

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #85 - 05/16/14 at 04:49:06

For the cable or just the o-ring ?

On Bike Bandit:
CABLE,SPEEDO
#1070741   $58.85

O-ring was not listed separately

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #86 - 05/16/14 at 06:08:53

The "O" ring... looking around and can't find a part number for it, the only suzuki dealer we had got canned by suzuki for "not enough volume" so i'm stuck for going to a dealer for genuine part.

Haven't ridden the bike again yet... will do so today knowing i'll be headed to a bike shop I won't be worrying about the bike not starting when I get there Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #87 - 05/16/14 at 07:14:49

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #88 - 05/16/14 at 07:56:02

Sweet! Thanks WD!  I will look see what I can find for that part number. The "O" ring fix on that link is what I did yesterday, so i'll see if it works, I will probably be looking around for the seal in the post also, maybe order some and keep on hand "just I case".

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #89 - 05/16/14 at 13:26:15

Picked this up today...... going to temp install it until after the trip. (add) only cost me $57.00 (jr. at the counter saw me talking to the owner like we knew each other and gave me a business discount).

Mechanic/shop owner, says it cranks a 1000RR like its nothing....and should work fine with the savage....
he wants to help me with my build this fall....guy loves working bikes... he didn't even make fun of my Harley tourpack Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/16/14 at 20:40:17 by old_rider »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:24:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.