Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
2001 LS650 savage...work in progress (Read 1140 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress
Reply #60 - 04/15/14 at 16:22:10

The video works fine. Are you opening the t5hrottle when you try to start it?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #61 - 04/15/14 at 16:28:44

Did on the last try....

I rolled it about a quarter inch and it started... I really don't like using the enrichment knob.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #62 - 04/15/14 at 22:27:33

Sorry, I can't see the harm in using the enrichment valve just to start from cold, sure Ive had memory lapses and haven't pushed it right in on occasion but I don't think I've done too much harm.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 04/16/14 at 06:16:27

Yep....use the enrichment knob if that is what it takes to make it start quickly. Then push it in.  My bike always starts in one or two revolutions....it never has to crank for more than a second or two. The enrichment circuit only is effective when the throttle is closed since it operates through the Pilot Circuit...engine running or not.  If you pull the throttle open while trying to start the bike it moves the butterfly open and the vacuum does not flow past the little hole in the carb body. The idle fuel supply comes out a little hole just behind the throttle butterfly when it is closed.....when the butterfly is open the air flow spreads out over the entire throat and does not pick up fuel from that little hole.  Cracking the throttle open when trying to start the bike can help clear out an engine that is flooded.  

old_rider.  Can you do me a favor and measure the distance from the bottom of the tour pack to the back/arm rest on the Tour Pack.  The Harley rack is lower than the passenger seat in the photos I looked at, and I am afraid that if I get a Tour Pack like yours the back/arm rest will be up around my wife's shoulders if I mount it on the ST1100 rack.

Thanks - Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #64 - 04/16/14 at 08:31:42

old_rider wrote on 04/15/14 at 16:28:44:
I really don't like using the enrichment knob.

..+1,... what jc and Dave said...

Why the choke phobia?...
If you jet to start good without choke,... you're jetting will be too rich 95% of the time...
That's why we have chokes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #65 - 04/16/14 at 10:04:35

Not really a "phobia", but have always gone with a little twist first rather than use a choke or enrichment right off the bat.

Guess it was something my adopted dad used to do all the time and I kinda' stuck with it.

Dave,
The speakers are removable, but it is 8.5" from the bottom of the box to the bottom of the backrest, or 10" from the bottom of the rack tube mount, to the bottom of the back rest.

There are after market luggage packs everywhere and the are a LOT cheaper than HD tourpacks... if mine were to be sold by Harley it would be $1,500 as it is (rack, lights, speakers and antenna) new and right around $800 used.

I actually need to get me some bar extensions (1.5" or 2") or spacers to bring the bars back to me if I want to rest against the seat back.
It is ok if I let go of the clutch side after I get up to speed and kinda lean a little back I can rest with my back against it... but if I have hold of both sides of the bar I am not against the pad.
And the mount will not allow me to bring it forward unless I re-drill it, i'm not comfortable doing that when I can still sell it after this trip.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 04/16/14 at 10:17:43

old_rider:

Thanks for those dimensions - that will help me decide.  I have a GIVI top box right now and it has a back pad - but there is no available arm rest and my wife wants something to keep her from tipping out.  So far the Tour Pack looks like the best option...the Goldwing stuff is just too integral and blended into the bodywork to make them useable.

She gets sleepy sometimes.....I don't wanna' lose her! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #67 - 04/16/14 at 10:53:09

Have you looked on ebay or amazon for passenger armrests?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-PASSENGER-REAR-SEAT-ARM-REST-W-STUDS-/2515...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #68 - 04/16/14 at 10:58:35

Buy some metal, foam and covering and you could make your own if you already have a luggage pack.

Guess the only thing would be to make the fiberglass or plastic bottom part ( I would back yard bill it and use marine grade plywood).

Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #69 - 04/17/14 at 05:17:27

The Givi trunk I have is all rounded and sculptured and it would be tough to make something that attaches to the trunk.  And I am getting into summer when I am just too busy at work and cutting grass at home to do bike projects.  I was looking for something that could be used mostly as it was made.  I think the height will be OK - but the backrest is not really an armrest - but more of a wrap around seat back.  I will set the wife on the bike and see if maybe the armrests can be built that are not part of the trunk.  Thanks for measuring for me......now back to your bike project.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #70 - 05/03/14 at 06:45:31

Well, took the contraption out for the day to do some errands and on my fourth stop (short ride, stop, shut it off, go in for ten minutes, start up, short ride, stop ect....) the bike didn't want to start.
Guess maybe the trunk add on is using up a bit of my charging amps since it has like eight lights on it.
Either that or its the battery, i'm not sure, I have been keeping track of the voltages, when I get back from a long ride the volts are at about 13.1 and slowly go down to 12.5 -ish, sometimes they are at 12.3
I didn't have the meter with me when I went to town so I don't know what was up with it.
I turned off the gas (smelled like maybe it was flooding, but not sure, was in walmart parking lot so it could have been someone elses vehicle) and let it sit for about five minutes, and finally after the fourth crank it barely started.
Guess i'll take it out and run down to a autozone or orielly's and have them check it out. Sad

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #71 - 05/04/14 at 16:36:53

Got a surprise in the mail yesterday and went to work on it....

Got a set of Ed's 4" forward controllers, rough cut, so I decided to polish them a little.

Got to figure out the amp problem on the battery system first, then I will install these puppies!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #72 - 05/05/14 at 07:30:00

Well.......I would try unplugging your box for a week....and see if the bike behaves like normal and the battery charging becomes reliable.

Dave

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #73 - 05/05/14 at 21:00:54

Went to the Harley dealership ordered me some led bulbs... gonna cost a bit... but the amp draw will be way less.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #74 - 05/07/14 at 18:23:05

Got the bulbs put in, think I might have a  couple that didn't light up after looking at this video..... but so far they look good and the battery stayed up at 12.45 an hour after a ride...will see what happens after a couple of short drives...

I'll drive around the neighbor hood, come home, shut it off, wait ten minutes, start it again, run it ten minutes around the neighbor hood, shut it off, wait ten and restart..... rinse repeat until it won't start...or until I get tired of testing it.
Got the bulbs put in, think I might have a  couple that didn't light up after looking at this video..... but so far they look good and the battery stayed up at 12.45 an hour after a ride...will see what happens after a couple of short drives...

I'll drive around the neighbor hood, come home, shut it off, wait ten minutes, start it again, run it ten minutes around the neighbor hood, shut it off, wait ten and restart..... rinse repeat until it won't start...or until I get tired of testing it.

Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6x92k4vis

Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:22:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.