Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
2001 LS650 savage...work in progress (Read 1140 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress
Reply #30 - 03/30/14 at 08:11:36

you can pull the timing plug to drain some off.
although it might be messy.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #31 - 03/30/14 at 14:46:10

Remembered reading some where about not "loosing" the oring(?) off of the speedo cable when you remove the tank.
So I took off the speedo end at the top of the case and there was no o-ring or seal, so I made a rubber washer out of a 1/8" thick rubber piece.
No more leak (drove it for about 45 min.)! Had some mist maybe, not sure, might have been left over surface stuff from when it was leaking worse.
I am going to degrease it tomorrow  and then do an hour ride to see what happens.
Starting the 12v plug adapter setup, got the wire run and the adapter attached to the front fork, going to pickup a 2 amp "on / off" switch at auto zone or wally world whichever I go into first.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #32 - 03/31/14 at 13:05:39

Picked up some "PlastiDip" to coat the tour pak with black, so it doesn't look so bad with the gold color.

But before that had to do a little add to the back... the electric tape is really hard to write on so....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #33 - 04/02/14 at 13:51:37

More work done.....
Got it plastidip'd with black... stuff is rough, spray pattern sux, but it might work out ok, after it hardens.
Got my gps power outlet put on.
Found tool kit in the saddle bag.... what is the brass thing? it can be compressed...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 04/02/14 at 14:03:26

brass thing is a belt tension gage... worthless
might make a good ball stop on your pool table.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #35 - 04/02/14 at 20:01:16

When I shoot pool the ball stops where I want it to...(well most times), so I won't need it and i'll leave it out of the case....less weight.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #36 - 04/09/14 at 15:17:31

Put on a modified seat (BadX) from a 2007 Honda 1300vtx... its kind of a temporary set-up at the moment just to see if I like it.

Hopefully I can get my foot extensions and see if they work together well enough to ride in june.

wife and mine side by side

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #37 - 04/09/14 at 18:54:29

Wife and I went out to dinner.... the vtx seat isn't going to work...makes me sit forward about 2" and up about the same.

But I did get a pic of her rear end as we pulled into the garage...LOL... she wanted to be a little more visable, so I put some reflective tape on her trunk.

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #38 - 04/09/14 at 19:52:49

verslagen1 wrote on 04/02/14 at 14:03:26:
brass thing is a belt tension gage... worthless
might make a good ball stop on your pool table.

Ah! I was wondering the same thing! I just took it out of the tool kit, it looked pretty useless no matter what it was supposed to be for.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #39 - 04/10/14 at 18:47:29

Got the Dyna on and the cover on.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #40 - 04/11/14 at 13:33:32

Took it for a shake down ride, dyna sounds good, very few pops (mainly on high rev quick shift), but when i got home have a weird oil leak.

Oil is coming DOWN from the clutch cable under the tank, and I just filled it up before the hour and a half test run.

Valve cover maybe? The motor is hot so i'm going to wait till this evening to look for it. But would like to see a few "it might be this" posts (pertaining to the leak Cheesy ).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 04/11/14 at 13:53:41

One of the right rear head cover bolts is the path for the oil comig up to the head.  It should be one of the bolts with the sealing washer on it. Do not overtighten any of these bolts....they are small diameter and pull the threads out of the aluminum head easily.  You need to see if you can trace the source....maybe clean the motor back up and take a very short ride....then start looking for something that could leaking oil onto the clutch cable.

The tech section area for the head plug repair shows which bolts should have the sealing washers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 04/11/14 at 13:59:20

Also could be the speedo cable if you've lost the seal at the bottom.
It's a little unusual, but does happen.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #43 - 04/11/14 at 14:12:35

I actually made a seal for the bottom speedo cable and it hasn't leaked for about a weeks worth of riding (testing seat, tourpack for shaking ect..), but today I was goosing it and got up to 80 for about 2 min, back down to 55, back up to 70 for about 2 min again...ect.. just to see if I could get it to pop on accel and decel.

Think maybe the extra pressure on it (high rpm) caused it?

I have cleaned it up several times before I found the speedo cable didn't have a seal (got a part # ?), made the seal but drove around last week withing limits and general riding, thought I had the leak thing fixed.

Going to clean it up again and drive like a normal human being till the gas gets a little lower in the tank. I will keep an eye on the leak and see if mild driving causes it too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 04/11/14 at 14:23:09

old_rider wrote on 04/11/14 at 14:12:35:
I have cleaned it up several times before I found the speedo cable didn't have a seal (got a part # ?), made the seal but drove around last week withing limits and general riding, thought I had the leak thing fixed.

The seal is not available.  We did find something that looked like it, but could only order in bulk.

Most people use an o-ring.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:26:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.