Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
2001 LS650 savage...work in progress (Read 1140 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress
Reply #15 - 03/25/14 at 01:30:15

Today I took off the tank, replaced the petc0ck, put on rubber hose to keep away the rattle, capped off the vacuum hose, cleaned up the under side of the tank and main beam, ran me a wire for the 12v adapter and did a little more cleaning (mainly on the rims).

Tonight I bought some Rotella T6 (synth) gonna change it out and get the gas out of the system (run it for about 25 or so miles), then put on the marine 12v adapter I bought and change the oil and filter for the next 3,000 miles.

I am not going to dismantle it until after the dragon run... all I will do is add the tour pack instead of a back seat (got to paint it black first, it has gold in it). I might do the rear blinker mod and bring them back to the rear (just to try it, so I can do the wife's later and know how long it will take).

Here are a couple of pics.... I can't believe how new it looks Cheesy
Also through in a pic of the raptor after I made it "wife proof" LOL Cheesy

« Last Edit: 03/25/14 at 05:18:22 by Dave »  

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 03/25/14 at 03:23:55

Boy, that sure looks clean!  You'll have that dialed-in in no time.  

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 03/25/14 at 13:21:41

Well, thought I would change the oil before I rode it, good thing too! What came out was a mixture of oil and gas, about a gallon and a half!

I threw an oil quart in this pic to give you an idea what size the pan is

Well after I changed it I rode it for about half hour to see if the last battery charge took and to insure I was in the green.
Came back to the house and it was dripping oil on the drive, some splatter on the right side...ok i'm letting it dry off now
I might have it a little on the over full side, but I can see the level at the top of the window, I might drain a couple spoonfuls.
Can oil spray out of the neutral wire hole (behind the clutch lever)??
Next test ride i'll throw on the google glass and take a video... after the washer mod all i'm going to do is stick a dyna on it..

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/26/14 at 04:41:39

The o-ring on the clutch shaft can leak, and there is the potential for the seal at the neutral wire to leak.  When I had my cutch cover off I was sure to clean and place some black silicone seal at the rubber grommet for the neutral wire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #19 - 03/27/14 at 10:50:14

Ok rear seat came off.... both side rails and backrest.... and oh yeah I am doing it! LOL... going to make them hurley guys mad!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/27/14 at 11:11:25

Is that the Barco-lounger seat back and trunk update?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 03/27/14 at 14:08:18

I also found an old cb radio bracket and moved it to the license plate bracket and going to use an old set of led blinkers I had on my  super moto see if they work.

On the cheap today! LOL Cheesy

Had some steel, so I cut a couple brackets... now all I gotta do is paint it and pad the backside so it won't scratch the fender paint.

I am taking a break at the moment so, it should be done this evening
or tomorrow.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 03/27/14 at 22:14:04

Well got the little mini led's on and working, got the tour pack mounted and hopefully some wiring run...LOL... I did a back yard bill by shoving some connectors into the backside of the tail light plug, so I can wire up the brake and running lights.

I hope the savage can take a few more little lights, I think four or six overall, might change them to led types to save some more power.

Haven't looked, but does this thing have a "flasher" solenoid? Where would it be located and how many pins does it have? Was thinking of going total led blinker lights to lessen the load on the savage power system.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 03/28/14 at 13:56:46

The ones I have a plenty bright, I ran them for about a month until I got a total tail system put on it.

I got all the wiring done and its ready to ride again, its been sitting for two days now without actually starting it, and I've turned the key on several times checking the wire power.

It started right up! had 12.30 volts showing on the test meter before the start, I might hook up the charger overnight to insure full power before the test ride tomorrow.

IP Logged
William Pors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/28/14 at 16:08:57

Looks like you got a hellova deal on that bike... I love the sport bike with jet theme in the back. Looks badass.

If you need any locking saddlebags check out Viking. http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-suzuki-saddlebags.htm
Discovered them and am looking for an excuse to get their bags. Your bags look good though.
Looking forward to see the rest of your build.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 03/29/14 at 13:36:27

Thanks... next is dyna muffler... got one to put on it, then that will be it until after the dragon run in a couple months... then I will tear it all apart and see how much weight I can get off of it.

The tour pack is for fun... just to see if I could do it without tearing up the bike.

The sport bike In the back is my Kawasaki 300 ninja, I retired out of the Air Force and last base was special operations (Hurlburt Field). So I decided to spray bomb it with krylon and some graphics from militarygraphics.com

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #26 - 03/29/14 at 15:15:12

Just got back from the test ride....

Battery after shut down was at 12.50v, so the system is keeping up with the new lights.

Still have he mysterious oil leak, is it possible that the odo cable is leaking? I disconnected it at the tank and not on the lower end and the cable under the spring protector is wet with oil...

The oil is fresh oil, so I know its blowing out, I traced it all the way to the top back right side (not blow back). The area around the oil filter is clean as a whistle so it is not leaking there.

There was actually some residue up in the starter area on the right side top....

I'm kinda at a loss where it can be coming from....

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #27 - 03/29/14 at 21:30:01

old_rider

In reference to your question in Reply #22:

"...does this thing have a "flasher" solenoid? Where would it be
located and how many pins does it have?"

The flasher is located on the frame rail, passenger side, tucked up
under the fuel tank.
It's mounted in a rubber holder and you can push it out of the holder
without tools.
Hold the scoot over your head, peer up in there and you'll see it.
It's a two - wire flasher.
I attached a close-up picture showing its location.

Web_3173_Installed.jpg

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #28 - 03/30/14 at 04:38:17

It's fairly easy to modify a seat from a V-Star 950 to fit the Savage by making some brackets & you can usually buy them cheap on the Yamaha forum. The flasher is a 2 terminal & can be replaced with an automotive electronic flasher that will work with LEDs without needing resistors.
Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 03/30/14 at 07:52:20

Thanks guys... i'll be heading into town to get the electronic flasher relay, the one I put on an old 250 ninja was 3 pronged but worked like a charm for the mirror blinker set.

I have a couple old Honda vtx seats I might see if I can modify to fit, they are HUGE and if I redo the foam in them would be right cushy.

I do have the oil level at the top of the glass, so will drain some today and see if the leak stops or lessens. Drivin' me nutz trying to figure where its coming from, its so hot when I get back can't put my fingers anywhere, so I guess I will have to be patient and let it cool off after a ride and figure out where it is coming from.

Ridge... how heavy is the pull behind in your signature pic? I have one that weighs about 190lbs I think.
Does it pull/push the bike around?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:32:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2001 LS650 savage...work in progress

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.