Expensive hobby... (Read 176 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Expensive hobby...
03/22/14 at 13:39:01

I just added up what I have spent on my bike since I bought it getting it just the way I wanted it and I don't think I am going to mention the total to my wife Embarrassed
Total is $5575 CAD.
The most expensive mod was the rake kit, which came in at $2400 with the shipping.
Add to that the original purchase price of $4200 (don't forget about our HST) and the grand total comes to $9775.

Lest you think me a fool for spending all that, it is far more comfortable, safe, attractive, easier to ride, LOUDER, and a bit faster than it was stock.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Expensive hobby...
Reply #1 - 03/22/14 at 13:52:20

arteacher wrote on 03/22/14 at 13:39:01:
I just added up what I have spent on my bike since I bought it getting it just the way I wanted it and I don't think I am going to mention the total to my wife Embarrassed
Total is $5575 CAD.
The most expensive mod was the rake kit, which came in at $2400 with the shipping.
Add to that the original purchase price of $4200 (don't forget about our HST) and the grand total comes to $9775.

Lest you think me a fool for spending all that, it is far more comfortable, safe, attractive, easier to ride, LOUDER, and a bit faster than it was stock.

Convert that to USD then tell the wife Wink Just don't tell her you converted it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/22/14 at 15:16:07

me thinks you're looking at it incorrectly.
either you've learned a trade or you've subverted therapy.

$10,000 for technical training is pretty reasonable I think.

some smo said ny shrinks were $300 an hour.
how many hours did you put in?
$300 times 100 hours = $30,000
you saved $20,000!!!

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 03/22/14 at 18:02:47

Maybe expensive but hey...you have the bike you always wanted, and it will last nearly forever. Not be flushed down the toilet next morning. You want an expensive hobby, try f3f glider racing or dynamic soaring...
Cheesy Cool

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 03/22/14 at 20:00:46

Yep arteacher,you're looking at it all wrong for sure.  Like the others point out,you have to divide the cost between hobby,therapy,vocational training AND transportation. That softens the pinch on the budget tremendously.

And of course to reclaim the transportation investment you've got to get out and ride more! I try to ride at least 10-15,000 miles a year.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 03/23/14 at 03:24:04

Dude, pay attention.

Don't forget the TRUMP card.

Riding a motorcycle makes for a calm, stable, happing, loving husband, who is much better able to tend to the emotional & physical needs of his loving wife.

Cost is irrelevant.

Cool

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/23/14 at 04:57:17

I agree with everyone, the therapeutic benefits of wrenching on your own project just about always outweighs the monetary cost. Unless of course you are doing it to flip it and try to make a profit!   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/25/14 at 05:51:21

I just added up what I have spent on my bike since I bought it getting it just the way I wanted it Embarrassed.

What?  Are you Crazy?  Don't keep any receipts.....destroy all evidence and ONLY qoute the original purchase price if you have to.  You can keep records of anything that you take off and sell....and deduct that from the purchase price.  You can also explain how much money you save in gas (don't calculate insurance or registtation costs for the bike or what the riding gear costs). Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/25/14 at 05:55:50

One of the most unhappy realizations for me was how fast tires go away & what they cost & the installation costs.Of course riding gear is expensive, too..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #9 - 03/25/14 at 11:27:54

just tires and batteries alone eat-up the gas savings... don't care, as others have said, therapy is MUCH more expensive...

my other hobby is shooting and ammo prices can be a buck a shot  Shocked

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 03/25/14 at 14:07:18

I hear ya shorty, ammo prices have gone up so much.  And if I took the time to reload myself like I used to I wouldn't have time to shoot....such a vicious cycle   Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/26/14 at 11:35:55

I don't ever quote exact numbers!  If she ask I always say "I probably spent more than I should have, but...."

I also like to throw in things like, "Parts were $17.00, but if I had it done at the shop it would have been $300!"  I fail to mention the $175 I spent on tools.  

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/26/14 at 11:45:31

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/22/14 at 13:52:20:
Total is $5575 CAD.

Convert that to USD then tell the wife Wink Just don't tell her you converted it.

I gave $500 for mine and have dropped $2000 more on it.  If you had followed that formula you'd have around $20K.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:15:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Expensive hobby...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.