Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jug resleeved with Nickel (Read 97 times)
boognish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jug resleeved with Nickel
03/21/14 at 18:12:09

I got my 2004 savage in 2012 with 400 miles on it, it sat outside and had some water damage. I got it for just about free and it ran just fine for about 1000 miles, then I decided to take a long trip. Kentucky to Minnesota, mostly interstate... It was a nightmare, needless to say I made it but the savage was hemorrhaging oil the entire way while sustaining freeway speeds. The jug had an indentation on the inside and my mechanic said as opposed to replacing it I could send it to this performance atv shop his buddy ran and get it resleeved with nickel. I went that route.
I was basically ignorant at that point and the explanation that I got was that it was "better" which made me happy because it was cheaper than the new jug.
What does my fancy sleeve do? Anything?
It does run absolutely perfectly after that.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Jug resleeved with Nickel
Reply #1 - 03/21/14 at 18:25:03

lol, no clue

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/21/14 at 18:30:31

Was a sleeve put in it or was it plated with Nikasil?  Nikasil is short for Nickel Silicon Carbide which is used by several motorcycle manufacturers and is generally a good durable lining.

Quote:
What does my fancy sleeve do? Anything?
It does run absolutely perfectly after that.

Since it now runs well I would say that it fixed your problem by providing a hard smooth cylinder bore of the correct dimension.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
boognish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/21/14 at 18:40:23

I am moving up north April 1st so I will ask what metal he used exactly when I go back in there.
He was most likely just givin me smoke when he said it was "better" or being considerate enough to lead me in the cheaper direction.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 03/22/14 at 07:24:58

it's common to "re-sleeve" many piston powered engines.. many highway diesels get re-sleeved at major overhaul..

you did good

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/22/14 at 11:58:51

shorty wrote on 03/22/14 at 07:24:58:
it's common to "re-sleeve" many piston powered engines.. many highway diesels get re-sleeved at major overhaul..

you did good

Yup.  Whenever we rebuild our diesels, new sleeves get put in.

Much cheaper to replace a scored piston bore with a new sleeve than to replace a block.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 03/22/14 at 18:18:43

I'm just curious... When they resleeve the engine, do they bore it out the thickness of the sleeve so the piston size remains the same? In other words, if the sleeve is 1/2 mm thick, do they bore the engine 1 mm so that the same size piston can be used?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 03/22/14 at 20:05:29

boognish wrote on 03/21/14 at 18:12:09:
as opposed to replacing it I could send it to this performance atv shop his buddy ran and get it resleeved with nickel. I went that route.
I was basically ignorant at that point and the explanation that I got was that it was "better" which made me happy because it was cheaper than the new jug.  

How much was the re-sleeve job if you don't mind me asking.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/23/14 at 08:38:38

Kris01 wrote on 03/22/14 at 18:18:43:
I'm just curious... When they resleeve the engine, do they bore it out the thickness of the sleeve so the piston size remains the same? In other words, if the sleeve is 1/2 mm thick, do they bore the engine 1 mm so that the same size piston can be used?

Yea, the piston size stays the same. They bore the block, OR, some blocks come sleeved from the Fak Toe Ree,, Then all they hafta do is get the old sleeve out & slap a fresh one in. IIRC, Detroits are that way,
The block has to be very close size to the sleeve, or there will be hot spots. The sleeve cant just slide in, it needs to be Tight,, for physical support and heat transfer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:21:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jug resleeved with Nickel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.