Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What can I use to protect my Corbin seat ? (Read 109 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
What can I use to protect my Corbin seat ?
03/21/14 at 06:07:23

I just bought a brand new Corbin seat for my savage, I'm wondering what is safe to use to protect the leather from the sun and water... ( something that won't stain my backside, or make the seat slippery.) any good ideas?

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What can I use to protect my Corbin seat ?
Reply #1 - 03/21/14 at 06:19:06

First.....I would see what Corbin says to use and how to maintain their seat.

Leather needs to be treated with leather conditioner.  You can get it at just about any auto or big box store in the auto cleaning products section.  Apply it when the leather is cool, and you can let it soak in for a while.  Then before you ride be sure to wipe off the excess and buff the surface with a dry cloth.  Lexol is one my uncle used on his antique car seats - but Meguires and others make good products.

Don't use products made for rubber.

If your bike sits outside.....you might consider getting some quick release pins like Versy has, and take the seat inside to keep it out of the weather.  You should avoid getting the seat wet if possible.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #2 - 03/21/14 at 07:46:02

Thanks for the help! This is why I turn to the forum for info Smiley

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 03/21/14 at 08:56:17

Wow!  It didn't take any time for someone to say what I was going to say.  Talk to the people who made the seat and see what they recommend.  I bet they've done lots and lots of testing on just that particular question.

I've often wondered why more people don't heed manufacturers' recommendations for care and upkeep of items.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 03/21/14 at 10:46:21

I believe the corbin seat is made out of high grade vinyl which requires very little care. I never did anything to mine for the 3 or 4 years I had it(washed the bike a couple times a years)  and it looked like new when I sold the bike last summer. also I had the bike parked in a garage the entire time except when I took it to work.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #5 - 03/21/14 at 11:14:13

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 03/21/14 at 10:46:21:
I believe the corbin seat is made out of high grade vinyl which requires very little care. I never did anything to mine for the 3 or 4 years I had it(washed the bike a couple times a years)  and it looked like new when I sold the bike last summer. also I had the bike parked in a garage the entire time except when I took it to work.

AL
My seat is genuine leather on the parts where you plant your butt, bought it last month from Freedom Cycle in Concord,NH.  Corbin makes a " saddle cream", I did some research on Lexol, it says in the description that it contains " natural oils".  Both run around 15 bucks, which is better?

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 03/21/14 at 14:55:58

Here's a question I have about it.  How do you make it more comfortable?  It is well made, just a bit firm for long rides.  Perhaps a sheep skin cover or an air-hawk pad?

Thinking of seats has anyone tried putting on a Honda Shadow seat?  Someone has one they said I could have for free.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 03/21/14 at 16:34:41

I use Doc Bailey's leather black once a year, and leather clear once or twice during the summer. My seat is three years old and looks like new.
Corbin seats can be ordered all leather, all vinyl, or a combination of the two. Mine is leather on top with vinyl sides.
Bear in mind they do take a while to break in (Corbin says 1000 miles) but mine got way better after 300, and I have a boney ass.

Note: If you use the leather black, buff it out really well and wear black jeans for a ride or two, otherwise you can get black on your pants.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 03/22/14 at 07:16:54

pg wrote on 03/21/14 at 14:55:58:
Here's a question I have about it.  How do you make it more comfortable?  It is well made, just a bit firm for long rides.  Perhaps a sheep skin cover or an air-hawk pad?

Thinking of seats has anyone tried putting on a Honda Shadow seat?  Someone has one they said I could have for free.

I have a standard and a modified VTX (about the same as shadow) seat and probably will look at fitting one to my savage when I get it here. So i'll let you know Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #9 - 03/27/14 at 11:31:30

Guys: I made some calls to both Meguiars and Lexol...
DO NOT use Meguiars, it has petroleum distillates in it. Lexol contains Swedish pine oil,no petroleum at all.. Just a heads up and a big THANX to everyone for their help and suggestions! Cool

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/27/14 at 21:33:29

I use 100% silicone oil on dashes, plastics, everything but paint. On seats, ONLY if Im not gonna ride for a few days & then, VERY little..
Call around to copier repair places & ask for fuser oil. Just tell them ya want some, not for a copier, just to use as oil.. so, make & model dont matter. Ive been doin this for about 20 years. I get a pint for $5.00, OR, go online & get a gallon,, for around 150..Ive got a few pints stashed. Ill be dead before theyre gone. A few drops goes a long way.. Ya otta see my 12 Y/O 4 wheeler,, It was almost white a few weeks ago,.,.a little cleanin & rubbin & its blue again,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:16:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What can I use to protect my Corbin seat ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.