Send Topic Print
Precious metals (Read 75 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Precious metals
03/20/14 at 06:20:02

I'm engaged on a discussion on another forum that might be of interest here.

Lead.

I'm on a mailing list for a firearms training site. The owner there suggests 7.62x39, specifically, will become scarce state side. This is probably THE most popular Russian caliber.
He theorizes that the Russians will be using it, along with the Ukrainians, Poles, anyone in that area when the action pops off.

Now, the last lead smelter in the US has shut down.

Lead can still be recycled but no new lead will be smelted.

What would the US military "train" with?

Unless their recent purchase of billions of dollars worth of ammo was, as they claimed, for training purposes, but stretched over 5 or 10 years.

To quote someone there who casts his own lead bullets:

Quote:
As of November, I'm paying 50% more for lead alloy now than I was in November, 2012 when the plant announced it was closing its doors on December, 31, 2013.   Various bullet alloys are running roughly $3/lb at Rotometals right now. You want to buy at least $100 worth to get the free shipping, otherwise your cost will rise to right around $4/lb if they have to add shipping costs.

The best going theory so far:
Quote:
But I would not be surprised if they (liberals) try to ban lead outright, and insist on it being buried in a landfill somewhere, by a company they want to pay the least amount of money, who will no doubt cut corners. Which will end up with miilions of tons of Lead contaminating the ground & water.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Precious metals
Reply #1 - 03/20/14 at 07:35:01

I assume its a done deal. Military is looking at non-lead bullets. Lead has been so demonized... that like it or not.. I don't think it will be used in (NEW) ammo much longer. Wheel weights are gone, fishing weights gone, lead plumbing solider is going... ( still there for electrical).

batteries are not really useful for amateurs to recover lead for ammo.

I have about 150lbs left of lead ingots @ ~7lbs each. Its my stockpile.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/20/14 at 08:46:33

Anyone who has lead now & sells it for scrap now is not looking down the road. Its gonna appreciate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 03/20/14 at 09:42:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/20/14 at 08:46:33:
Anyone who has lead now & sells it for scrap now is not looking down the road. Its gonna appreciate.

maybe ... maybe not.

If they really do outlaw lead bullets.. then I have nothing. Current thinking is there is pretty easy to follow trend:

uses for lead dries up.. price goes down
stock piles of lead go down prices go up for the remaining uses of lead
remaining uses of lead go down price goes down

eventually.. there will be few legal uses of lead and stockpiles will reflect that. Modern day buggy lash

As far as the government is concerned I own a 150lb toxic dump. I fully expect they will treat me that way. (and charge me to take it)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/20/14 at 10:37:49

I see your point, its well made. I see first a jump in price due to demand staying the same, supply falling off. They cant just up & make lead bullets illegal. Theres billions of them out there. They Can make manufacturers stop using lead, but thats gonna create one helluva screaming noise out of the Masses. Shotgun ammo? No biggee that its not lead now, but can you imagine having to relearn how to shoot your target rifle? Its gonna be a while before demand drops & it will go up, first.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 03/20/14 at 13:20:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/20/14 at 10:37:49:
I see your point, its well made. I see first a jump in price due to demand staying the same, supply falling off. They cant just up & make lead bullets illegal. Theres billions of them out there. They Can make manufacturers stop using lead, but thats gonna create one helluva screaming noise out of the Masses. Shotgun ammo? No biggee that its not lead now, but can you imagine having to relearn how to shoot your target rifle? Its gonna be a while before demand drops & it will go up, first.,

Exactly... but shotguns went from lead to not in your lifetime... see you already accept it. Its the new "normal".  Yet many duck hunters use to reload thier shot shells.. I perfectly recall seeing bags and bags of lead shot on the floor at the local gun stores in my youth. And it was dead cheap.

US military is going to "green" ammo  theres all your 223 right there and 308... and 30-06

alot of rifle ammo is going pure copper already.

Nope.. there will be no screaming.  Old men will just mutter, and the youth will shake thier heads at how old people would toss lead into the environment, in the olden days .. like it ... well like it just another thing dug out of the ground.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/20/14 at 14:24:48

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/20/14 at 16:59:38

Okay,.. here's a dumb question... (from a guy that don't do loading or nuttin')...
What would pea gravel do if loaded into a 12 or 20 gauge?... Undecided...

BOOM!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 03/20/14 at 17:48:55

I suppose one would want to reinvent the wheel every-once-in-while especially if they controlled the resources or if they were ahead of the curve (follow - the - money).

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/21/14 at 06:15:03

Serowbot wrote on 03/20/14 at 16:59:38:
Okay,.. here's a dumb question... (from a guy that don't do loading or nuttin')...

BOOM!...

It wou;d wreck the barrel.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/21/14 at 06:19:29

I heard a story, one time, about someone who wanted a tree removed.
It was the city's tree and they wouldn't oblige the property owner.
He nailed a few copper nails into the tree.

I'm not sure of the science behind it. I'm not even sure it's not an urban myth...

But let's say a stray bullet hit, and then was embedded into, a tree.

--Steve

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 03/21/14 at 14:44:21

Quote:
He nailed a few copper nails into the tree.

I'm not sure of the science behind it. I'm not even sure it's not an urban myth...

I don't know the science either, but I hear a couple pennies hammered into works as well.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 03/24/14 at 09:41:23

Serowbot wrote on 03/20/14 at 16:59:38:

BOOM!...

Lead is very soft.. rocks are not(generally) so the inital shock of ignition would begin pulverising them, as they travel down the barrel them further crumble and etch the barrel as well. Exiting the barrel they have much less mass than the lead and thus much less energy. They will not travel very far and hit with little energy doing very little damage.

Thus the old daddy shootin' stray boys with rock salt. lotta boom, lttle range and even less damage. (though it burns if they do find flesh).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/24/14 at 18:33:22

As we ( a small group O boys) were running from Mr Turner's pond, he let go with some salt,, I saw the gun come up & I pulled up next to a guy, putting him between me & the gun,, He was screaming, I was laughing,, as we exited the property,, poor ol Jimmy,,, that guy had the worst luck,, wound up dead, riding on the outside of a troop truck,, the moron driver scraped against the mountain, crushing him,,He also swam for the deep part of that pond on a later date, not knowing there was a Tin Canoe suck out there, swam into it, got cut all to heck,, his brother shot a 22 into the creek right in front of him. It bounced off the water & shot him in the gut,,yea, he had a few "Bad Moments"..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 14:15:29

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Precious metals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.