Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(SOLVED) 1998 engine knocking with throttle (Read 366 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 1998 engine top end knocking only with throttl
Reply #15 - 03/26/14 at 05:36:23

Nothing wrong with Brad Penn oil.....provided it is not the reduced ZDDP oil they make for cars which I don't believe is colored green.  Their High Performance oil is green and good oil made at the old Kendall refinery and it has ehough ZDDP.  There is no reason to drain that out until it is worn out and ready for an oil change.

Rotella T or T-6 is a good oil.....no reason to buy anything that costs more.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #16 - 03/26/14 at 06:42:38

Thanks guys I guess I'm just a little paranoid, I dont want to lose this bike. I have been riding since I was 8. My first road legal cruiser was a 1995 savage that was back in 1998 I have had quite a few since and between the way it feels riding and that clanking it really just doesn't feel right. I don't really know how to check the rockers and clearance and I don't think I have the tools to measure it. Is there a thread here for that? I have the clymer but I'm kind of dumb so I didn't quite get it.
Funny thing is I had a $1500 budget to buy a bike and I probably could have bought a good running bike, but when I found this one not only had I owned one before and loved it but it looked easy to work on (no syncing carbs and what not) so I figured I could learn to work on bikes with this one to start. Well.... I sure got my wish Grin
Problem is I don't have unlimited money for it

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 03/26/14 at 06:48:10

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

This link will take you to really good directions for valve adjustment.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #18 - 03/26/14 at 06:53:31

oldNslow wrote on 03/26/14 at 06:48:10:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

This link will take you to really good directions for valve adjustment.

NO nuts! THANKS THATS GREAT!
This place really is awesome

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #19 - 03/26/14 at 07:00:40

When I got to the second post and moved the flywheel to tdc there was no play in the rocker RMS at all the wouldn't budge. That's as far a pressing or pulling on them with my hand.
The part at the end where it says start it up if you hear a noise you did the wrong end don't ride the bike I'm thinking that's the noise I'm getting and its too late as far as riding the bike I hope I didn't F it up

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #20 - 03/26/14 at 07:34:36

wickedbiker wrote on 03/26/14 at 07:00:40:
When I got to the second post and moved the flywheel to tdc there was no play in the rocker RMS at all the wouldn't budge. That's as far a pressing or pulling on them with my hand.
The part at the end where it says start it up if you hear a noise you did the wrong end don't ride the bike I'm thinking that's the noise I'm getting and its too late as far as riding the bike I hope I didn't F it up

Before you start loosening the rocker arm nuts, take your feeler guages and see what goes in. Start with the smallest (.0003) and work your way up. If the smallest won't go in, they're too tight, if anything larger than the .0005 goes in then they're too loose. Anything in between is within spec.  Save  yourself some trouble that way and you only do the ones that need it.  Wink

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 03/26/14 at 07:55:05

Quote:
When I got to the second post and moved the flywheel to tdc there was no play in the rocker RMS at all the wouldn't budge.

Just because the timing marks are lined up does not mean you are at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke. Put your fingers on the exhaust rocker arm and rotate the engine until the rocker arm gets loose. You should be able to wiggle it just a little bit. Keep turning until the marks are lined up and then try to wiggle the intake rocker. When both rocker arms are loose, and the marks line up, you are at TDC on the compression stroke and you can check the clearance.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 03/26/14 at 08:20:10

The crank rotates twice for each revolution of the cam.  If you have the crankshaft marks lined up and the rockers won't wiggle.....take another full revolution the crank and then see if the rocker wiggle.

If you watch the rockers while you turn you will see that on one revolution at the TDC marks....the exhaust rockers are closing while the intake rockers are opening - you want the other TDC where the rockers are not moving.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 03/26/14 at 08:38:19

The nice thing IZZZ that When youre installing the cam chain youve got the left side TDC mark lined up ( hopefully) AND You lay the cam in, lumpy side down, SO, youre setting it at TDC compression. If ya go back & check later & land it on TDC exhaust, then the rockers will be holding the exhaust valves down.
So, make sure youre at TDC compression.. OR, Roll the engine around until ya get all 4 valves closed & free up the rockers, THEN look & see if the mark is at TDC on the crank.. Pulling the plug makes this so much easier, remember, only turn it the way it turns when its running,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #24 - 03/26/14 at 13:33:56

Thanks all of your posts have helped me to make a great deal more snese out of the opporation. Im going to go to harbor freight and pick up the feeler gauge and Im waiting on a fuel air screw and a good battery charger in the mail so I will take care of this Saturday so my old lady can entertain the rugrats. Ill get back on here Saturday or Sunday and let you guys know how it went. I really cant thank you all enough. I really am not sure id be at this point without your experience.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 03/27/14 at 09:15:52

Phhht,, weve all been there.. I dare say the help here is better & faster than what is available at any dealership.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 03/27/14 at 09:55:12

This might sound a little off topic.....but if you start hearing strange and horrible noises coming from your engine.....try grabbing the headlight ring, speedometer ring and a few other parts that might vibrate.  I was sure my valves and cam were self destructing and grinding each other away......then one day I reached up and grabbed my headlight and squeezed the trim ring (easy on a Cafe' conversion).....and the noise went away.  Turns out my trim ring had become some kinda rattly noise maker.  I took the ring off and put some rubber tape where the ring clips onto the bucket to provide some padding......and it ceased being a source of noise and was only a source of illumination from then on Grin.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #27 - 03/28/14 at 12:24:12

Dave wrote on 03/27/14 at 09:55:12:
This might sound a little off topic.....but if you start hearing strange and horrible noises coming from your engine.....try grabbing the headlight ring, speedometer ring and a few other parts that might vibrate.  I was sure my valves and cam were self destructing and grinding each other away......then one day I reached up and grabbed my headlight and squeezed the trim ring (easy on a Cafe' conversion).....and the noise went away.  Turns out my trim ring had become some kinda rattly noise maker.  I took the ring off and put some rubber tape where the ring clips onto the bucket to provide some padding......and it ceased being a source of noise and was only a source of illumination from then on Grin.  

Not off topic at all man, I'll defiantly check that out if I ever get this battery charger in the mail funny how you can order something in the same state and it gets sent like its coming from half way around the world LOL!
I'm sweaten it though mainly because this thing (The Engine) was shipped via fed ex from Pennsylvania to Florida and it was upside down the whole time when I got it one ot the lifter covers was crushed and the engine guard cover was broken. I had to use the ones from the old engine to repair it. The sound is like its hitting a lifter or the spark plug if thats even possible. I just hope there isnt any damage that isnt fixable. But I will listen for what you said because for the life of me I can't really pinpoint the noise and what you are suggesting makes perfect sense as a possibility

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 03/28/14 at 18:00:03

You might also check that the decompression lever is going all the way down, and it not in contact with the rocker when the engine is running.

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #29 - 03/30/14 at 16:16:38

Well I got the job done today the front side was loose and has a clearance way over .0005,.0006 and so on so I got that adjusted then the rear facing ones were tight with no play and I couldn't get the .0003 through at all they were shut tight so I adjusted those and they had play after words. Put on the covers , gas tank and whatnot

And now I can't start the bike to test it out. In another thread I have I am looking for help with a problem I am having where I have a fully charged battery and the bike is acting like its dead.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1395762622
I thought I had resolved the issue but In guess not. :'(

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:18:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › (SOLVED) 1998 engine knocking with throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.