Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Masterlink? (Read 76 times)
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cam Chain Masterlink?
03/17/14 at 11:38:19

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12-0353-Suzuki-LS650Savage1986-2006-Cam-Chain-Master-L...
I found this cam chain on ebay with a Masterlink? Would this be a bad idea?

There was a previous conversation:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

But it is not conclusive if its a bad idea or not really.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cam Chain Masterlink?
Reply #1 - 03/17/14 at 11:56:41

Shipping:
US $74.04 (approx. C $82.09) UPS Worldwide

& whats that picture OF? I dont see a master link,, I see a chain. It Says ya get 10 master links,, REally? What good is a master link? Just how would that help? Theres no way a chain with one full link missing will go on, & an extra lkink is clearly insane, only a 1/2 link MITE work, BUT, why do that? Get the Versy on it, get all the goody out of the chain, & replace it with as good a chain as you can find.
IMO, you should run away,, run away..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/17/14 at 11:59:00

The stock chain does not come with a master link.
The chain pictured does not have a master link.

The chain is made from several interlocking plates and I've never seen a master for that type of chain.

interesting, $74 shipping for a $34 part.  So if it's the wrong part you are screwed.

WWW   IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 03/17/14 at 12:03:28

Justin: I have the Versy on my chain now. I am just looking towards the future when I do have to replace the cam chain.

I am no overly inclined with mechanical things. The prospect of removing the engine head and clutch basket just to get to the cam chain scares me a bit.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/17/14 at 12:08:07

Ive worked with chains that ran on multi toothed gears. They were BIG, like 4 inches across, we had to use rope looped thru a few times to haul the ends close enough together to run the link & plates in, so yes, multiplate chains exist that use links. Thats where the 1/2link gets important, on those big things that are 20 feet long sometimes. BUT, a chain like our cam chain? Ive never seen a link made for them & I wouldnt want one. I want the plates bradded on both sides.
Can you imagine that "locking" side plate flying off? Ohh NOOO!!

I actually dont believe a link exists. I think its a scam & youll get a cheap chain for $100.00.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/17/14 at 12:18:56

Coaxial wrote on 03/17/14 at 12:03:28:
Justin: I have the Versy on my chain now. I am just looking towards the future when I do have to replace the cam chain.

I am no overly inclined with mechanical things. The prospect of removing the engine head and clutch basket just to get to the cam chain scares me a bit.

Once you've had the head cover off once or twice... that's an easy job.
You've had the clutch cover off... that's not too bad either.
Taking the clutch off and the cam chain is an easy job.
Don't take the clutch apart and you won't have any trouble with it.
Getting the cam off is probably the hardess part.

take your time, read directions twice, do once.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 03/17/14 at 23:46:58

That looks like a badly written and misleading description on the ebayer's part. Looks like the chain is one piece and you can buy master links individually or in packets of 10.
FWIW, I've replaced a bunch of timing chains on singles (mostly XR, TT and DR) and the chains we were using came with a split link, maybe is what they meant by Master Link, that term makes me think of the link in a drive chain with a clip? The ones we used, the chain was threaded on, the master link installed and the pins peened over with a dolly behind to support the cam and sprocket. Those links last the life of the chain. Really easy to fit, you set the timing marks up, back off the tensioning device and snip the timing chain with bolt cutters (or you could Dremel the side plate off). Attach the new chain to the old (a cable tie or something) slowly wind the motor over feeding the new chain in, join it with the link, peen over, check the timing and that's it. I don't have any problem using a split link.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:30:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Masterlink?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.