Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Neglected 96 now runs, dies with throttle (Read 156 times)
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Neglected 96 now runs, dies with throttle
03/14/14 at 06:51:02

A few weeks back I picked up a very neglected 1996 LS650 (6000ish miles). The major issues were as follows:

- The bike had not been started in at least 6 years, and sat inside a shed (yay), under a tarp (boo).
- A critter ate the main harness under the tank, and the tank wiring. I swapped the main harness out for a 1998 one, that is all fixed. I also fixed the tank wiring myself. All is well there.
- The gas tank was full of 1/3 gas, 1/3 murky water. I completely drained that out and flushed out all the crap I could. There is a little rust in the tank, but not a worrying amount.
- Airbox had a lot of oil/water in the bottom of it, air filter was toast because of that. I removed the filter entirely (a new one is on order). Everything was cleaned and re-installed, except the filter which we left out for testing purposes.
- Engine oil appeared to be empty. In actuality the case was full of oil AND fuel. I drained the engine and put back in the proper amount of 10w40. All good here. And no, we never tried to crank over the bike with all that crap in it, thankfully.
- The jets in the carb were completely stopped up with gunk, and the float was covered in goo. I cleaned everything out, and got as much out as I could. The slide and diaphragm also appear to be in good shape, no tears, good seal on the diaphragm, needle was pretty clean. Overall the carb appears to be AOK inside now.
- With fresh gas in the tank and the rest of the issues sorted, we tested the petcock. No fuel flowing on the PRI setting, or any other setting (with vacuum). I'm not surprised. We grabbed a little fuel bottle and used that as our gas tank instead. Raptor petcock on order.

With the tiny "tank" hooked up, the bike fired right up and idled after two attempts. Not bad. No evil noises coming from the case (I'll check the cam tensioner soon to verify). Sadly though, whenever we touch the throttle at all the bike chokes out and dies.

At this point it seems like a carb/fuel issue. I'm guessing two things:
1.) The little bottle we were using as a "tank" wasn't flowing fuel fast enough. Maybe the raptor petcock on the real tank will help?
2.) There is still some part of the carb that is gummed up that I didn't get to. Any ideas where else I should look? I didn't check the TEV part of the carb, should I? Is there a total carb rebuild kit I can buy?
3.) Would the auto decompression system cause this? Could it be out of adjustment? This is a shot in the dark.

Thanks for reading LS650 experts! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Neglected 96 now runs, dies with throttle
Reply #1 - 03/14/14 at 07:19:51

schleppy wrote on 03/14/14 at 06:51:02:
- The jets in the carb were completely stopped up with gunk, and the float was covered in goo. I cleaned everything out, and got as much out as I could.

I think I'd start there. "As much as I could" probably wasn't very good. A complete tear down and dunk in a tank etc. is in order. Carbs are finicky to begin with, add a little gunk in a passage and they aren't happy.

IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/14/14 at 07:23:29

S-P wrote on 03/14/14 at 07:19:51:
schleppy wrote on 03/14/14 at 06:51:02:
- The jets in the carb were completely stopped up with gunk, and the float was covered in goo. I cleaned everything out, and got as much out as I could.

I think I'd start there. "As much as I could" probably wasn't very good. A complete tear down and dunk in a tank etc. is in order. Carbs are finicky to begin with, add a little gunk in a passage and they aren't happy.

That's what I'm thinking. I got the float area and the diaphragm area very clean. I'm just not sure about some of the smaller passages. I also never removed the pilot air jet or the other air jet (main air jet?). Maybe there was gunk in there too.

IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/14/14 at 07:25:22

Also, is there a spring under the float needle? I was worried that there was and I lost it. I don't remember there being one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/14/14 at 07:50:22

You definitely need to take the carb main and pilot jets out and clean them, along with the little passages in the carb body.  To do this properly the brass cover over the idle mixture screw will have to be drilled out, and the idle mixture screw removed.

There is an article in the Tech Section showing how to take a carb apart and clean it.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

I have never taken the jets out of the TEV or top of the carb body.....it is most likely the jets down near the float bowl that are causing you problems.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/14/14 at 07:52:11

Dave wrote on 03/14/14 at 07:50:22:
You definitely need to take the carb main and pilot jets out and clean them, along with the little passages in the carb body.  To do this properly the brass cover over the idle mixture screw will have to be drilled out, and the idle mixture screw removed.

There is an article in the Tech Section showing how to take a carb apart and clean it.

Lucky for me it looks like one of the two previous owners already removed the brass cap!

I'm going to take the carb apart again this weekend and go over everything one more time.

Can you guys suggest a good cleaner to use? Besides the diaphragm and the TEV, is there any other rubber in the carb I'd have to pull out?

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 03/14/14 at 09:14:47

Running without an air filter can upset the air/fuel mix. This might be contributing to the off-idle stalling.

IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/14/14 at 09:16:58

bobert_FSO wrote on 03/14/14 at 09:14:47:
Running without an air filter can upset the air/fuel mix. This might be contributing to the off-idle stalling.

Agreed. I wondered about that myself.

It sounds like I really should have take more parts out of the carb to clean them. I have a feeling that is the major problem here. The lack of air filter certainly can't help.

Does anyone know exactly how many parts in the carb are rubber? I think I want to do the carb cleaner dip can to be sure I get everything, but I don't want to miss any tiny o-rings.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/14/14 at 09:22:44

Just take it apart, you wont miss any rubber.. its not that complicated, theyre just finicky, & make sure the gas ya go back with is fresh, just regular gas,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/14/14 at 09:23:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/14/14 at 09:22:44:
Just take it apart, you wont miss any rubber.. its not that complicated, theyre just finicky, & make sure the gas ya go back with is fresh, just regular gas,

It was definitely fresh gas. I'm almost certain that I just need to clean some of the other passages better, and the idle mix area.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/14/14 at 09:27:46

there is an o-ring in the float valve seat.

interesting to note, the carb specs diagram does not show the idle mixture screw.  And supposedly, there might be an o-ring in there to hold the adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/14/14 at 09:29:14

verslagen1 wrote on 03/14/14 at 09:27:46:
there is an o-ring in the float valve seat.

Thank you verslagen!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 03/14/14 at 14:16:17

You said "bottle" for your temp gas tank.... did you vent the bottle?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
schleppy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/14/14 at 14:18:50

old_rider wrote on 03/14/14 at 14:16:17:
You said "bottle" for your temp gas tank.... did you vent the bottle?

Yep, the bottle had a small vent. I suppose it's totally likely that the bottle may not have been flowing well enough. I'll test that when the new Petcock comes in.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #14 - 03/14/14 at 14:56:02

Even if the bottle flows slow, once the float chamber fills up, you should be able to rev it higher than idle for a short while.  At least until until the float level lowers too much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:21:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Neglected 96 now runs, dies with throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.