Send Topic Print
Gasket scrapin (Read 37 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Gasket scrapin
03/11/14 at 06:04:07

We talked about this a while back,, & yesterday I was messin around with a busted tent pole. Fiberglass. I needed a scraper & shaped it up on the grinder, flat spotted 2 sides & cut a wedge end on it,, dude,, it was Mahvelous.. I have a coupla power line supports that are about 4 feet long & maybe 3/4" diameter fiberglass,, Ill try makin a scraper & see how that works. If its just truly killer, Ill have enough to share..
The power company was replacing some poles a few years ago & they asked me if I wanted a couple,, they were happy to not have to haul them away, I was happy to have them,,& I got quite a bit of handy hardware off of them,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Gasket scrapin
Reply #1 - 03/11/14 at 07:15:39

JOG:

I have made some scrapers from thick plexiglass, and they worked great for removing old weathered silicone calking from the seams of my trailer.  I would spray some window cleaner on the seam for a lubricant, then use the plexiglass scraper to wedge the caulking off...the glass cleaner allowed the scraper to move along the painted aluminum surface without scratching it.

I have also made scrapers from Ebony wood that work really well.  Both the plexiglass and Ebony need to be sharpened fairly often - but they don't gouge or scratch anything.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 03/11/14 at 08:33:54

Old bank cards work well too.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/11/14 at 11:11:41

Well,, heres what Ive learned so far.. and it aint good..

First, the scroll saw blade cant ditch the heat or handle fiberglass,, it rubbed the teeth off & got so hot its slack now,, OOPSIES!!

The cut off grinder creates a Nasty smelling cloud of fiberglass dust.
Ive got one side almost flattened,, so, I am almost 1/3rd of the way to having a working scraper & have to run away to breathe & its bothering my eyes..

In closing,, Ive decided that
Number 1: Ive never been unable to successfully scrape a surface
w/o a fiberglass scraper
and

Number B: I dont need one badly enough to go thru the BS of building it.

Im calling it a fail ,   :'(

I kinda wish I hadnt cut that thing up,, POOT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:30:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Gasket scrapin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.