Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Battery relocation to muffler bracket help (Read 1423 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Battery relocation to muffler bracket help
Reply #30 - 03/13/14 at 23:00:18

My previous post came out much more negative than I intended...
Apologies...

I have bicycle pedals for footpegs...  Undecided...
Pffftt!... I don't know why I like that...
Can't say it's smart or practical though... Grin...

Best luck on yer' mod... and give us some finished pics...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/13/14 at 23:08:40

Serowbot wrote on 03/13/14 at 23:00:18:
My previous post came out much more negative than I intended...
Apologies...

I have bicycle pedals for footpegs...  Undecided...
Pffftt!... I don't know why I like that...
Can't say it's smart or practical though... Grin...

Best luck on yer' mod... and give us some finished pics...

No apologies necessary!   I'll be posting pics very soon.   I finally got my Dyna muffler on with a little bend outwards and slightly extended and I wanted to post that but I'm waiting for this battery mod because as it is currently the state of my battery box is not good so it'd be an eye sore lol.

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 03/14/14 at 12:15:38

Please post lots of pics of the install.  The other installs like this that people always link to have broken picture links, so they're pretty worthless at this point.

IP Logged
motox56
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 03/14/14 at 16:02:35

Antigravity 8 cell battery with hold down bracket.

DSCN33401.JPG
  IP Logged
motox56
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 03/14/14 at 16:09:25

Another picture

DSCN33421.JPG
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/15/14 at 00:11:52

That looks great!   I just want my battery fully enclosed...

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #36 - 03/16/14 at 07:01:26

why fully enclosed? There is no need to keep water off the battery.
12 volts is not sensitive to water and the battery is fully sealed.
you can run a garden hose over the battery and cables with no effect

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 03/16/14 at 13:22:40

I realize they are waterproof and come in who built cases,  but as it was pointed out earlier,  putting the battery in this location exposes it to elements of which water is not the only one.   I realize the unlikeliness that a rock or something to that effect will be kicked up and damage the battery,  but I consider it a possibility.

Also  a major reason I want it enclosed is that I'll obviously have to do a bit of rewiring and I plan on making the box as large as I can for  a two fold reason.   First is so any battery that normally would fit in that area can be put in should the need arise,  although I am pretty sure the Earth X ETX12A is as wide of a battery that I'll be able to squeeze in at 2.6in or 66mm wide (I think I'm going to have to cut some of the bolt down that is holding the bracket in and find a narrower nut to hold it in,  and use some threadlock just to be safe).  
Secondly is since I'm doing all this rewiring I I want to hide as much of the possible extra wire and any other things that don't make the bike look proper.   In my opinion that would certainly include hidden wires and personally I'd rather just not even see my battery,  so that's why I am painting the battery box black so that whole area will hopefully go unnoticed altogether.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 03/16/14 at 18:07:41

So I finally decided and took the plunge,  I got the Earth X ETX12A and found a coupon code for 10% off so reduced from $169 to $153.  Considering it has a great warranty and is as far as I'm concerned is the best overall battery with its built in BMS (battery management system)  so I  won't have to spend an extra $50 or so just to properly charge and balance the cells.   If anyone else is considering the Earth X  brand,  you can go to www.warpoffroad.com and use coupon code: AZOP10.  That may just apply to the battery or the whole website but I was just happy it worked so I jumped on it.   I figure in the long run this will be the best choice and most economical given not needing any special chargers or cell balancers,  etc...   So Monday I'm expecting the battery bracket I ordered on eBay to come in and hopefully before the end of the week I'll have my battery too so once I have both of those I'll head over to the metal shop I spoke with and this project will finally be all ready to complete.   Many pictures will be included.   On a side note I am considering mounting the rectifier on the front outside of the battery and maybe having a piece of metal I can attach in front of that to protect it,  yet still leaving it open on the sides for ventilation.   Thoughts?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #39 - 03/16/14 at 18:27:24

Uig, i'll be watching and listening about your battery and views on it.  I like the idea of opening the center area and making it look less crowded and have been wondering what i'm going to do once I get my savage (can't experiment on the wife's ).

Moto, I like your placement, a removable shield with wing nuts would make the battery accessable without tools in case you would need to.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
motox56
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 03/16/14 at 19:12:25

Using a fake oil tank for the rectifier, solenoid, ignition box and other electrical connections. Battery is well protected behind motor with muffler on one side, belt and belt guard on the other side, and swing arm to the rear.

DSCN33391.JPG
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #41 - 03/17/14 at 10:59:50

uigi-
good luck on the batt and mod, I'm certain it will be sanitary when through  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 03/24/14 at 19:54:37

So this weekend I'll be making the mod.   I got myself the Earth X ETX12A battery which with its built in BMS allowing for normal charging and the protection of over charging or going under powered and bricking I am very pleased with this and I got it (normally $169 plus tax and shipping)  for ten percent off with free shipping and no tax so $153 and no need to purchase special chargers.   Only concern is it is the widest of the ones I was considering and so I'm going to have to be clever about making this box work while still allowing me to put padding in for the batteries protection.  

Anyways I'll be posting pictures soon,  I had a wiring question first.   As I'm extending where my battery is by about a foot in terms of the terminals,  I called Earth X and asked them what size wire I should use and it took awhile getting in touch with the tech people but the receptionist relayed that they said '10 gauge @150 Celsius.'   I know what the ten gauge means,  but not sure about the rest?   Also I am trying to determine what I should also move to the box,  be it inside out our.   I think I want to mount the rectifier to the front of the box,  but I was thinking before that,  I should move the computer module that is held behind the left cover there and I forget what it's called but following all the battery wires they lead to a cylindrical bit of metal that is mounted on the fender also.   In terms of looks in the center obviously I'm going for the look of 'Black Beauty'  posted above,  I even want or am considering the metal plate mounted to the battery box bottom which follows up the rear of the frame (and any blueprints of what that would look like would be great),  but eventually I plan on having a bench style seat so the rectifier and the other thing I don't know what's called would eventually have to be moved.   That mod will be a ways away so it's not a rush,  but if it's something I could do easily,  I might as well get it done all at the same time so everything fits right,  not one thing now then need to move those things and have to find somewhere to put them again.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 03/24/14 at 19:58:03

motox56 wrote on 03/16/14 at 19:12:25:
Using a fake oil tank for the rectifier, solenoid, ignition box and other electrical connections. Battery is well protected behind motor with muffler on one side, belt and belt guard on the other side, and swing arm to the rear.

As much as I like this,  like I said, I want to keep the center part of the frame around the engine totally empty as possible.   Thanks for the idea though.   If I was going for more of a bobbed look I would do this but I'm going for a Bratstyle / Cafe look (without the bump in the rear of the seat or clip on handlebars).

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 04/03/14 at 19:58:42

So I've finished my project.  It took me 10 hours last night between rewiring, making my own main battery wire with auxiliary cable, and actually getting the box mounted.  It was a lot more tedious than I thought it'd be.  I ended up having to remove the gas tank and exhaust which I didn't plan on, but now that everything is done, my new box got scratched quite a bit.  I didn't take any pictures as I was focused on getting done quickly and had school that morning (didn't finish until 5am) but soon I will take it apart and reassemble  with a good bit of photos to show the steps.   Now though where my battery box used to mount is just bare, so I'm thinking of putting a steel plate over it like on black beauty, and am probably going to mount the rectifier where the old box used to be.   Overall it's not a tough mod to finish , regardless of having a battery box or not, but making the wiring look nice is a pain, had to lengthen lots of wire's.  Also thinking of making that bit of steel follow the frame up to the carb, so I can mount things and more easily hide things beneath the seat and when I change my seat by welding on some DOM tubing, I'll have a little compartment there , ironically, I'll probably put my battery there once I change my seat this way, so this mod I've done could be just temporary,  but for now I love having the free space I've created by relocating the battery box.  
Ok so once again, pics will be coming soon, but it looks great!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:18:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery relocation to muffler bracket help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.