Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Battery relocation to muffler bracket help (Read 1423 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Battery relocation to muffler bracket help
Reply #15 - 03/11/14 at 23:18:45

To try and make this box as painless as possible I just purchased off eBay the same muffler mount that comes on the Savage,  so I'll be able to take this with me when creating the box and it's dimensions.   I think that will greatly help me get this done.   Really leaning towards that Earth X battery right now.   It is the largest but so far from my measurements it will be just small enough to fit.   Curious if a quick disconnect cable will be compatible with this...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 03/12/14 at 05:25:32

uigiroux wrote on 03/11/14 at 23:18:45:
  Really leaning towards that Earth X battery right now.   It is the largest but so far from my measurements it will be just small enough to fit.   Curious if a quick disconnect cable will be compatible with this...

Not sure why you want a quick disconnect?  The Savage does not draw any current when the key is off, and the EarthX people don't recommend using any kind of battery tender as the battery does not lose power when not being used.  If you do install a quick disconnect....it has to be a big one.....big enough to flow the current to run the starter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/12/14 at 06:48:14

That's a good point,  but as it was previously noted,  the location is hard to access,  so on the unfortunate chance I have battery trouble while not at home,  I could conveniently get my battery out and quick.  Or maybe it is just good advertising and not really worth it,  I'm new to these (LiFePO4) batteries,  but a lot have that option , and I've had a few very difficult times with my current lead acid battery needing a charge and things being difficult since no battery tenders.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/12/14 at 07:13:51

You can wire in a battery tender/chargng lead easily, and it does not have to be larger wires as you will not use if for jumping....only charging at a rate of 1-2 amps.

The only downside of Li-Ion batteries  (if you ignore the cost).....is that they will be ruined if you ever let them go completely flat or overcharge them.  They have no sense of humor when it comes to those two conditions.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/12/14 at 17:08:27

Here is out I did it, I just used the standard bracket which worked sweet and much more straight forward than mucking around making a new holder.

http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Projects/SavageBob.php

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #20 - 03/12/14 at 20:27:46

you can always get rid of the battery box and leave the battery  Grin easier that way. Glad to see another Savage rider down here in H-town.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #21 - 03/12/14 at 20:45:39

uigiroux wrote on 03/11/14 at 22:22:28:
Thanks for the tip!   I'll give that a shot tomorrow.   Do you have an idea what something like this might / should cost?

Not a clue. I've had custom sheet metal folded for under 50.00 here in Phoenix. It will all depend on where you live and basically how far away the shop owner sees you coming....  Wink  I always get better prices showing up in my construction work clothes and a "good ol' boy" attitude.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #22 - 03/12/14 at 20:52:34

If you have a few tools to do this yourself, it really is not that hard.  I don't worry too much about weather protection, and I have ridden in plenty of rain with this.  I used the Batteries+ store brand alternative to the Yuasa YTZ7S, and I made my own bracket out of strap steel and some carriage bolts.  To remove my battery, all I have to do is cut a zip tie and unscrew the terminals.  I used rubber from an old bicycle inner tube to isolate it from vibration.

When this bracket is made, you will find that you HAVE to test fit it on your bike.  The space there is VERY limited - only about .5 -.75 inches of total wiggle room front to back.  Also, you may have to rearrange/reroute a few cables.  I was able to complete this mod without having to make any changes or splicing to my wires.  This was facilitated by removing the airbox but keeping the side covers.

When I have to replace this battery, I'll probably get an EarthX.  The Yuasa will get the job done, but don't leave the lights on while you're still talking or saying goodbye.  You'll wind up learning how to push-start your Savage!   Tongue

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 03/13/14 at 01:05:26

That location,... down under, is reinventing the wheel... the Intruder has the battery down there already... it's a PIA to get to...
Ours ain't good, but that is worse...
The advantage is you get to have hole behind your head...
If you like the idea of locating your battery further away, and nearer to the exhaust... so that you have a useless hole where your battery should be... go for it...
...but,.. what did you gain?... other than different?... but, unintentionally identical to an Intruder...(which sucks!)....
If the battery were in the stock Intruder position... inconveniently, far, low, and near the muffler... would you be locating it up and forward by the cylinder and under the carb?...

In some instances... you are fighting 100 years of development...
"I'm going to mount my handlebars behind me!"...
"I'm mounting my gas tank in my tire?"...
"I want my exhaust to blow forward!"...

What advantage does a dirt bound battery give?...
Less protection, more heat, harder access. longer wire run,
Ours ain't the easiest access... but I see no advantage...
I think we have the right location... but not good access...
JMHO rant... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/13/14 at 22:05:38

What I stand to gain is purely an aesthetics issue.   I want it clear in that area.   In terms of putting my battery in harms ways essentially as you 'ranted',  that's the whole point of a battery box with cushioning inside.   Yes I'll have to do some rewiring,  but that's not too difficult for me.   And I got a draft made up from a metal shop today for $30 with a removable rear cover,  rather than the top,  so access will actually be much easier in my opinion,  and If I set it up with a quick disconnect,  well then all the easier.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #25 - 03/13/14 at 22:13:09

uigiroux wrote on 03/13/14 at 22:05:38:
And I got a draft made up from a metal shop today for $30 with a removable rear cover, .

Nice! Another win for going outside the "bike shop" box.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/13/14 at 22:25:49

It was pointed out to me earlier about the Earth X ETX12L battery and how it has a built in cell balancer, (so no special expensive charger required), or as they call it (BMS).   Upon further digging I've come to find that the Shorai LFX14L2-BS,  and the Scorpion SST12B-SP also have this feature, and one thing I like about the Scorpion battery is it has a button you can push on it to run a self diagnostic check on it,  though they are weird about not listing amperage,  but they compare the battery I listed above as being the equivalent as the Shorai or the Earth X.   The Scorpion is the cheapest at $113, and although the Shorai is listed about $160 I've found online retailers where I could get for about $120, and the Earth X is pretty much going to be $169.   As much as I would like the Earth X it's the largest and I'm concerned it will leave me with very minimal room for cushioning.   I like the Scorpion,  but I've heard very little about them and am slightly reluctant.   Shorai seems to be the one I'm most leaning towards.

Does anyone have experience Scorpion batteries and or any thoughts on my thinking the Shorai LFX14L2-BS is the battery to go with.   Also,  would it matter if I go with the L2 or the A2 version?   Or I guess I'm just asking does polarity matter in this instance / application?

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/13/14 at 22:34:59

I see 2 reasons to relocate battery: make easier access to carb and lower center of mass of the bike. Both goals can be achieved by installation of mini battery, though.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/13/14 at 22:45:32

Serowbot wrote on 03/13/14 at 01:05:26:
That location,... down under, is reinventing the wheel... the Intruder has the battery down there already... it's a PIA to get to...
Ours ain't good, but that is worse...
The advantage is you get to have hole behind your head...
If you like the idea of locating your battery further away, and nearer to the exhaust... so that you have a useless hole where your battery should be... go for it...
...but,.. what did you gain?... other than different?... but, unintentionally identical to an Intruder...(which sucks!)....
If the battery were in the stock Intruder position... inconveniently, far, low, and near the muffler... would you be locating it up and forward by the cylinder and under the carb?...

In some instances... you are fighting 100 years of development...
"I'm going to mount my handlebars behind me!"...
"I'm mounting my gas tank in my tire?"...
"I want my exhaust to blow forward!"...

What advantage does a dirt bound battery give?...
Less protection, more heat, harder access. longer wire run,
Ours ain't the easiest access... but I see no advantage...
I think we have the right location... but not good access...
JMHO rant... Huh...

I'm rather confused with your comment and comparisons you made.   It almost comes across as if your questioning why do anything at all to the bike,  I mean after all,  that's the way Suzuki built it so they should know best,  right?   I'm not trying to be rude or anything but this website is the main source for making modifications to the Savage on the Internet.   I'm almost certain I've seen many posts you've made talking about mods you've done yourself.   And in terms of safety of the parts,  well I think this pales in comparison to the many threads there are about adding power to the bike by big boring it out and adding a larger piston,  high performance camshafts,  etc...   Those things increase the compression a great deal and could blow the whole motor.   I'm just relocation my battery,  which also from this forum I've seen countless others do.   Granted they usually put in beneath the seat in the space left from doing a Ryca conversion or something to that effect where they mount some sheet metal to create their own compartment.   Anyways I'm ranting now,  but I've taken all the dimensions into account,  and even bought a muffler bracket off eBay so I can take it to the fabricator and he can build it perfectly to size so I won't have to worry about the rear swing arm hitting it or the frame above,  so given all this and the fact I'm going to be insulating it like crazy and waterproofing it,  I don't see the problem...

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 03/13/14 at 22:49:20

kt97679 wrote on 03/13/14 at 22:34:59:
I see 2 reasons to relocate battery: make easier access to carb and lower center of mass of the bike. Both goals can be achieved by installation of mini battery, though.

Also a very good point I forgot to mention.   I have a pod filter on now and had to remove the top cover of the stock battery box just so it could fit.   My relocation will make any work I need to get done in that area completely accessible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:23:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery relocation to muffler bracket help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.