Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Battery relocation to muffler bracket help (Read 1423 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery relocation to muffler bracket help
03/11/14 at 00:29:34

I am in the process of relocating my battery to the ledge on the muffler bracket beneath the swing arm.   I have 2 questions I need help with.   First being the battery I chose.   The smallest (by far) I am aware of is MOTY Designs 8 cell,  but am also considering the Battery Tender BTL14A240C, Shorai LFX14L2-BS,  Ballistic Evo2 8 cell, or the Yuasa YTZ7S (or it's cheaper alternative Motocross brand).   Now I love in Houston TX so it rarely gets cold here and am at sea level.   My first choice is leaving towards the MOTY Design battery as it is the smallest and can come standard with quick disconnect,  while the others,  if they even offer it,  adds about another $50.  As far as I'm aware all but the Shorai battery use in one fashion or the other an A123 battery.   The Shorai uses the square prismatic cells,  but they're not encased in metal cylinders like the others.   So that's my first issue is just which battery is best for me.

Next of course I need to fabricate a battery box to house these which I have read the other thread where another member fabricated a box using lengths on metal and connected them together and bent them,  eventually resulting in a battery box.  While this was a very good job done,  I'm looking for a box more water proof, made from sheet metal with  a removable lid which secures to the box and possibly a hinge on the back of the box or some way to remove the rear altogether so if need be I can remove the battery without having to remove the whole box.   That wouldn't really be too difficulty as I'd be securing the box to the four holes in the bottom of the muffler bracket,  but all the same I'd prefer to avoid that if possible .  Now,  regardless of the size of the battery I want to make it as large as possibly so I can possibly put other things in the box or if not in the box,  perhaps fit a bracket of the lid that say I could put the rectifier or  the computer on and this would also allow me to put a good amount of cushion in to protect everything.   So any ideas on how to, or where I would go do have this made of preferable make myself as I'm a poor college student,  or any good blueprints that are similar to what I described I would very much appreciate it.

Lastly,  I will obviously need to do a good bit of rewiring and any help on how to do this would be great.   I have already removed the airbox and the side panels so I had to relocate the computer that was hidden by the left side cover under my seat over my carb,  so that more likely than the rectifier will be needed to be  moved down there.   My main goal is to clear out the middle area of the bike where the airbox and battery were obviously,  but I eventually want to do a Cafe Racer or Bratstyle type seat so I'll eventually need to relocate the rectifier,  but that'll be a while from now (poor college student).  

Please any help would greatly be appreciated, but I'm most concerned with the fabrication of the battery box.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Battery relocation to muffler bracket help
Reply #1 - 03/11/14 at 03:48:09

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/11/14 at 05:25:27

You should also consider the EarthX batteries.  They have the cell equalizer built into the battery...a lot of Li-Ion batteries don't have this and require you to get their charger/equalizer for the longest life.

I bought the 12A battery and it starts my bike great.  I have put about 2,000 miles on the bike since I installed it.

http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx12a/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 03/11/14 at 08:23:26

Still my favorite look...one day I will move my battery and have the "wide open spaces"   Cool

(Moved his battery to the saddlebag then eliminated the battery box and airbox) - was DiamondJim's bike, not mine

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/11/14 at 09:02:27

I'm not crazy for the "there's a hole in my motorcycle" look...
If I moved the battery, I'd have to fill that space with something else...
Maybe a lunchbox... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #5 - 03/11/14 at 11:50:15

I went with the Shorai 14 amp and plan to put it on the ledge under the swing arm.. The battery is sealed so no need to waterproof it, and orientation of the battery is not an issue (no fluid)

I will leave the airbox stock for now with the sidecovers in place..
This enables me to leave the module under the left cover (as stock)

The battery cables need to be lengthened, smaller than 10 gauge will cause a voltage drop

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #6 - 03/11/14 at 11:55:48

sorry I just realized you are concerned about the battery box..

I am just placing the battery on it's side and a rubber pad beneath it..
Then large zip-ties to secure

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/11/14 at 13:05:56

Yoshi wrote on 03/11/14 at 03:48:09:

This was the thread I was referring to in my first post.   A good job,  but I'm looking for something more professional.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/11/14 at 13:07:44

Dave wrote on 03/11/14 at 05:25:27:
You should also consider the EarthX batteries.  They have the cell equalizer built into the battery...a lot of Li-Ion batteries don't have this and require you to get their charger/equalizer for the longest life.

I bought the 12A battery and it starts my bike great.  I have put about 2,000 miles on the bike since I installed it.

http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx12a/

I forgot to mention these batteries and yes I do find that to be a very good selling point.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/11/14 at 13:09:47

EJID wrote on 03/11/14 at 08:23:26:
Still my favorite look...one day I will move my battery and have the "wide open spaces"   Cool

(Moved his battery to the saddlebag then eliminated the battery box and airbox) - was DiamondJim's bike, not mine
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/russ_diamond_jim/6-6.jpg

This is exactly the look I'm going for!

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/11/14 at 21:35:13

I like idea of moving battery to muffler bracket by 2 things worry me:

1. It's hard to access.
2. I don't quite understand how to protect it from dirt and water.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/11/14 at 22:00:02

kt97679 wrote on 03/11/14 at 21:35:13:
I like idea of moving battery to muffler bracket by 2 things worry me:

1. It's hard to access.
2. I don't quite understand how to protect it from dirt and water.

1)  The area is really quite easy to access if you remove the exhaust or if you just get real low on the ground you can get at it relatively easy.

2)  The whole purpose of this post is mainly about a battery box for the battery so the battery and everything in it will be protected from dirt and water and will be cushioned with lots of padding.   I rarely ride in the rain unless it happens unexpectedly,  regardless,  anything down there will subject to the elements,  hence why I want the battery box to protect everything.  

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/11/14 at 22:06:28

I sent rough blueprints and dimensions to a motorcycle shop today for a quote,  and after awhile I'm emailed back saying it would cost $150.  This is what I'm trying to avoid.   It's a piece of sheet metal with a few bends,  welded,  with a small lid.   This shouldn't cost more than $50 and I think that's even too much...   What do I do!?!?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 03/11/14 at 22:10:55

uigiroux wrote on 03/11/14 at 22:06:28:
I sent rough blueprints and dimensions to a motorcycle shop today for a quote,  and after awhile I'm emailed back saying it would cost $150.  This is what I'm trying to avoid.   It's a piece of sheet metal with a few bends,  welded,  with a small lid.   This shouldn't cost more than $50 and I think that's even too much...   What do I do!?!?

Check with a sheet metal shop that does air conditioning ductwork etc. The bike shop probably would sub contract to someone like that anyway because they won't have the machinery to do metal work.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/11/14 at 22:22:28

Thanks for the tip!   I'll give that a shot tomorrow.   Do you have an idea what something like this might / should cost?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery relocation to muffler bracket help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.