Selling bikes (Read 172 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Selling bikes
03/10/14 at 17:41:02

Not sure I should sell my bobber bike to a kid who's first question is how fast will it go and is it 1 stroke or 2 stroke....   Huh

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Selling bikes
Reply #1 - 03/10/14 at 17:55:40

S-P wrote on 03/10/14 at 17:41:02:
...is it 1 stroke or 2 stroke....   Huh

Grin Grin Grin...

I'd try my best not too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 03/10/14 at 18:26:49

In all sincerity, ask if Dad or big brother is available for a quick conversation.  You want to know that the kid has taken some very desirable courses: given that he will probably kill himself on a pocket rocket you might be doing him a favor. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/10/14 at 18:34:04

I know a guy who sold a bike to a friend who promptly went out & got run over.. He lived, but never was able to make it on his own. He is still not over it & he is pushin 60.. that was 45 or so years ago.,,If you think he is a likely statistic, I recommend ya dont sell to him, Its just not something ya need on your heart if it goes badly.. Yea, I know
"If I dont sell him a bike, someone else will.." Well,, then its on them, innit?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 03/10/14 at 18:36:47

I've been buying and selling stuff for years to make an extra dollar or two but I've always tried to stay away from bikes for just this reason. Even if a kids dad is ok with the purchase I'm just too afraid of reading an obit in the paper and knowing someone got killed on a bike I sold them. It may be silly but just how my mind works.

That goes triple if it's someone under 21.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 03/10/14 at 21:07:52

Trippah wrote on 03/10/14 at 18:26:49:
In all sincerity, ask if Dad or big brother is available for a quick conversation.  You want to know that the kid has taken some very desirable courses: given that he will probably kill himself on a pocket rocket you might be doing him a favor. Roll Eyes

JOG  If you think he is a likely statistic, I recommend ya dont sell to him, Its just not something ya need on your heart if it goes badly.. Yea, I know
"If I dont sell him a bike, someone else will.." Well,, then its on them, innit?

Yeah... I had a friend who sold a "Dukes of Hazzard" car to a couple of teenage yahoos and the next night they wrapped it around a light pole and killed themselves.  He always felt guilty for that. I told the kid the bike is not a rocket, it is for putting around town and short weekend rides around the lake.  I didn't hear back from him.  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/10/14 at 22:37:59

You can't feel responsible for selling...  
A buyer will buy from somebody...

I sell with good advice... that's better than most would get elsewhere...
That will help the ignorant,... but you can't fix stupid... Huh...

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/12/14 at 10:32:14

I sold my gsxr to some guy in his early 20s.

15 minutes after I sold it to him, he called me up all pissed off because I sold him a turd that wouldn't start after he stopped at a gas station to fill it up.  I drove all the darn way out there to figure out what happened since that bike was show room condition only to find out that he hadn't the sense to switch the kill switch off...

I figure he eventually wrapped it around a tree considering his common sense level.

My .02 on selling:
If they're legally ok to buy what I'm selling and have cash, they can have it.  I'm a good honest seller, and I'll shoot strait about what I'm selling.  But it's not up to me to decide if what I'm selling is dangerous to the person that's buying it.  This is America, and an adult buyer can make his/her own decision regarding that.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 03/12/14 at 16:17:12

Amen!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 03/12/14 at 22:02:32

One of my coworkers at the shop in WA sold a 750 Nighthawk to a new rider. Older bike, air cooled, drum rear. It came back on a wrecker within 2 hours, covered in blood and smashed to pieces. The buyer was an older ex-con that wanted to start riding again after a 25 year prison hitch. I quit selling running bikes to new or returning riders that day.

Former 1%er club member, long time rider, 25 year "vacation" on the state's dime.  Never heard the final outcome, left the job a year later and he was still in a coma... and yes, he had on a full face helmet when he hit whatever it was that he hit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #10 - 03/13/14 at 15:21:37

I sell but make the buyer sit behind me.. nobody takes the bike out of my sight after a bad experience with a liar years ago  :'(

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 03/13/14 at 16:47:25

Yup,... last Savage I sold to a "experienced dirt rider"...  
He left my driveway and shot straight across the street into a wall on the test ride...

"Dude,.. you just bought it"...  Roll Eyes...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 03/13/14 at 16:51:24

If people are over the age of contractual liability, their purchase becomes their joy, boredom, issue or problem. Best to stay away from the under eighteens.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 03/13/14 at 21:25:36

Just sold to a "kid" (over 21). His dad was with him who rides a classic Harley. Both took it for a test drive. Seemed like a cool family.  Both came back from the test ride with big grins.  I recommended they join the forum.  They got a smokin' deal and solid bike thanks to everyone's help here, and the Wifey is happy because I almost broke even between selling my bobber and buying the newer bike.  All is right in the universe.  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/14/14 at 12:17:06

S-P wrote on 03/13/14 at 21:25:36:
Just sold to a "kid" (over 21). The Wifey is happy because I almost broke even between selling my bobber and buying the newer bike.  All is right in the universe.  Smiley

Yep......wifes like that "even up" kind of stuff.  When I sold my trials bike I was able to buy us a 2-Seater road bike with the money, and still have enough left over to buy us some riding gear!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Selling bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.