Send Topic Print
Help! (Read 121 times)
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help!
03/09/14 at 18:15:27

Over the winter put on a ryca tank and petcock did the main jet and pilot swap with the k/n filter. Also eliminated the decomp. Today go to start it for the first ride of the season and the starter is spinning like crazy, but no fuel is getting to the spark plug.  I checked the bowl of the carb and its getting there but that's about it. Could someone please tell me what's going. I've been at it all day and kinda bummed I missed the first ride of the season with the rest of the savages in the town.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Help!
Reply #1 - 03/09/14 at 18:38:41

If it's gettin' to the bowl,.. then yer' jets are clogged...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/09/14 at 19:28:45

& The starter can sound like its spinning along plenty good BUT its eating up the voltage the CDI needs to fire the plug. You can pull the plug & itll be sparking like crazy. Load the starter with pulling thru compression & Shazzam, no sparkee.. Check the battery. If its not better than 12.5 V, charge it. In fact, if its a wet cell, pull it, check the water, make SURE its fully charged,
Many hours have been spent chasing ghosts on just that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/10/14 at 02:59:04

Thank you I'll do that tonight

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/10/14 at 05:05:04

Also check that your conversion to the manual decompression was done correctly.  If the exhaust valves are being held open and releasing the compression....it won't start.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/10/14 at 21:03:00

Boy Howdy,, Dave pulls out the SUE Preme "No Duuuh" moment.. easy to miss that one & IF its spinnin over as easy as you say,, he mita just landed on the winning square..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/11/14 at 06:44:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/10/14 at 21:03:00:
Boy Howdy,, Dave pulls out the SUE Preme "No Duuuh" moment.. easy to miss that one & IF its spinnin over as easy as you say,, he mita just landed on the winning square..

Well this one caught me last year.  I had just done the Cafe' conversion, changed to a Mikuni carb....and I could not get the engine to fire.  At first I blamed the carb as it was brand new an unproven...then eventually I discovered the cable on the compression realease was just a tad too tight and the exhaust valves were being held open slightly.  Once that was fixed....it fired right up.

IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/11/14 at 10:15:45

Well, thanks guys, the battery was low a little. Charged it up and still doing the same thing, went right through the carb and the carb is cleaned every hole and crevice, I fooled with the decomp lever and still can't get it to start.  Everything is pointing to the valves being open. Is there a way I can see if they are open and maybe the lever is not opening or closing them.  Maybe it broke internally.

IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/11/14 at 10:16:51

Ya know now that you say that the starter is spinning way to fast that's got to be the issue.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/11/14 at 10:51:53

eppley wrote on 03/11/14 at 10:15:45:
Well, thanks guys, the battery was low a little. Charged it up and still doing the same thing, went right through the carb and the carb is cleaned every hole and crevice, I fooled with the decomp lever and still can't get it to start.  Everything is pointing to the valves being open. Is there a way I can see if they are open and maybe the lever is not opening or closing them.  Maybe it broke internally.  

Take off the valve inspection cap at the front of the engine.  From the right side of the bike look through the inspection hole and try to find the place where the decompression shaft pushes down on the rocker arm.  The end of the shaft will not be round - about half of it is cut away.  The shaft should not be touching the rocker shaft unless the decompression valve is being activated.

If in doubts.....unhook the linkage to the decompression lever and try it.

You do realize that you only need to activate the decompression lever for an instant.....just long enough to get the engine spinning.  Then you release the decompression lever and let the engine turn over with full compression.  In fact.....in most cases the engine starts just fine without using the decompression lever.   The only time that a problem shows up is when the engine has come to rest at the beginning of the compression stroke...the starter cannot get the piston over top dead center without a little bit of a head start.

The decompression lever should be horizontal when not in use.

IMG_0805_001.JPG

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/11/14 at 10:55:03

Are you getting good puffs of air out the exhaust when you crank the engine over?...
My compression tester won't fit down into the plug cavity, so I never check compression...
The other thing would be to check the valve gaps... if you have valve gaps, you're valves are closing...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #11 - 03/11/14 at 11:37:35

sounds like exhaust valves hanging open but if you want to eliminate the fuel system as a possible culprit, you can spray a short blast of starting fluid into the air intake.. if the engine is flooded this won't help

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/11/14 at 14:43:28

Alright I LOVE this FORUM So I got home popped open the inspection cap.  Somehow my decomp. Lever was upside down like it did a 360 have no idea how.  Flipped it back over started up like it was brand new.  Now that I think of it, I prob. Never would've cleaned the carb real good if this never happened.  THANK YOU.

IP Logged
eppley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/11/14 at 17:41:50

Not the lever the shaft

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:31:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.