Yamaha thumper in June (Read 340 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Yamaha thumper in June
Reply #15 - 03/07/14 at 16:25:06

Yeah, you would think by now they would start using aluminum frames more, saving weight and improving gas mileage.

Steel must be way cheaper to use tho....so that's probably the reason.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #16 - 03/08/14 at 03:14:19

Steel is cheaper, a LOT stronger, and easier to repair.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #17 - 03/08/14 at 04:58:49

I think exhaust systems have gotten heavier too.
I like the looks of that new bike but I wonder how long before you start seeing a cafe version?
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 03/08/14 at 06:51:48

Yeah, it looks nice.  I'd ride it.  Prefer it to be a bit bigger engine, though.  But, $6000.  No wonder they have a hard time selling smaller bikes.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #19 - 03/08/14 at 07:58:43

I am not sure about reducing the weight of the bike is as important as reducing the weight of the rider  Tongue
I like it but echo the sentiments of the CC and price..... on the fence re: kick.
All that being said I am glad a manufacturer is getting away from producing cookies and giving us more selections, VIVA LA DIFFERENCE  Kiss

PS: the last remark was NOT aimed at Bot, tho one could readily assume.....  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 03/09/14 at 10:40:17

I think building a decent frame for handling road conditions & being expected to take years of riding just simply requires more weight than is gonna lend itself to peppy performance from a low tech, low displacement engine. I think they built a " I am not a scooter" , low tech,easy maintenance, daggum good MPG bike. I see a grocery gettin commuter bike there. The fun is there, because it leans into corners & a fella can "Walter Mitty" race against himself just fine. Youll know if you chose the wrong line by the exit speed. For me, the fun isnt JUST how fast I am coming out, its "Can I improve?" & "Can I come out of that corner at that speed every time?". Until I can match my best speed out of a corner 90+% of the time & I dont feel like the bike is capable of doing better w/o someone literally backing it in, then I am not yet finished learning to ride that bike.,Ive got some really sweet curves between home & town & after a few hundred passes thru I never tired of the challenges they offer & never got so consistent that I felt like I had learned what I needed to know to call myself "Good". I look at that 400 & see never ending fun. I believe it will handle better than the Savage, in that pegs wont be dragging so soon & the steering geometry looks better for cornering.
POwer covers a multitude of sins. Low power requires a rider to get it Right if hes gonna carry any speed thru a corner. The grins Ive gotten from watching my exit speeds slowly increase as I work thru those corners is something I wont forget. Nor will I forget the early on near disasters, I Have screwed up so badly as to wind up in the ditch. Didnt drop it, but I wasnt about to to try to aim it back toward the road till I stopped & got my , uhh, Act,, yea,, got my act together.
The Savage will lean in a turn hard enough to fold a peg up tight enough to hurt a foot pinched between engine & peg. Ive had to pull my foot out because my ankle was in a bind & the REd Wings simply werent enough to keep my foot from hurting in there. The Savage WILL handle in a turn, & Ill bet that little 400 will out do the Savage in a corner, in the handling department, BUT, theres that little matter of another 250 CC's & the Grunt the Savage has,, It just mite make for an interesting performance comparison,
6 G's? Dang,, KInda steep, but Ill bet its a well built, low maintenance machine & would give years of cheap riding. People will buy them, & "Graduate" to a Bigger,, "better" bike, theyll be out there for cheap in a few years. But I doubt they sell many at that price,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 03/09/14 at 11:04:42

Serowbot wrote on 03/07/14 at 12:29:31:
Man!,.. EFI weighs a ton!... Undecided...

PS... no way a SR500 was 31hp...  more like 24...

IIRC my Ducati 1971 450 (432cc) was rated ~24bhp.

IIRC 1978 Yamaha XT 500 (the early one with manual decompressor and steel tank) was rated 32bhp.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #22 - 05/09/14 at 07:45:16

When comparing weights of old bikes and new ones, don't forget that the old weights were "dry weights" and the new ones are "curb weight ready to ride." It is claimed the so-called dry weights included no fuel, no oil, no brake fluid, and often no battery.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #23 - 05/09/14 at 08:15:12

The bike looks like a natural candidate for a cafe conversion.  That will help with the weight problem!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/09/14 at 09:18:59

Art Webb wrote on 03/06/14 at 23:11:52:
That's where pegs go on standards, which is what that bike is
I like it a lot, but it needs electric start and 200 more cc

+1 on those comments! We "Old Guys" really miss the "standard" configuration we grew up with. If Honda re-introduced the venerable CB450 at the same quality as when they were discontinued, I'd buy one tomorrow. But alas, we are now stuck with Dirt Devils, Crotch Rockets, or HD Wannabees. I like this new Yam. It looks good, but I'm afraid it will go the same way as the Honda Ascot - died after 2 years due to low sales. :'(

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 05/09/14 at 09:26:15

Went and checked out the Star Bolt when they debuted and was seriously underwhelmed by the build quality for the MSRP.

Will be checking these out as well, but, if it can't be retrofit with a carburetor, I won't be buying one. They only have this bike 1/3 of the way correct so far, needs a magneto and a carburetor if it is kick only.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #26 - 05/09/14 at 15:28:14

Kick starting a 400cc bike shouldn't be that hard; but at that price I'll never know.

IP Logged
William Pors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/12/14 at 12:10:52

The power and what not is a little bit disapoopinting but it looks pretty timid and mild. I like the bike itself because of how it's a 400 cc ideal cruiser for commuting. It's defeinitely a huge step up from a rebel... much rather learn on this ( learned how to ride for the motorcycle class on a rebel ) . I would throw some bags on it http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-suzuki-saddlebags.htm and then just ride it until i get tired or bored of it...at which then ill do the cafe racer conversion!~

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/12/14 at 12:37:38

This bike beats the hell out of a scooter.......  Never figured out why some buy a scooter instead of a Rebel....or something like this.

but the price is a killer.....   I'm looking second "run around town" bike after I got rid of my S40, but this is over priced I think. Kinda like the idea of a kick start....

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 05/13/14 at 00:43:35

For  short riders, the 30 plus inch seat height will turn off some potential buyers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:19:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Yamaha thumper in June

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.