Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bucking / missing at 65 mph (Read 158 times)
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bucking / missing at 65 mph
03/06/14 at 12:41:02

Help! I bought a decent 1996 Savage, 19,ooo miles. I had a problem when hitting about 60 mph. The bike bucks and snorts like it is running out of fuel. Here's what I've done: adjusted the valves, cleaned the tank and fuel lines, checked and gapped the plug (running a nice tan color), changed the air filter, removed the carb and installed a new float needle  seat and float bowl gasket. It improved slightly - the bucking does not start until I hit 65 mph and also backfires when downshifting. I am at my wits end! One other question. . .  there is a small line the same size as the line that connects under the gas tank. It seems to go nowhere. I don't believe it is a battery overflow. Any advice, please? I am retired and don't want to drop a wad at the nearest dealer, 45 miles distant. Any and all advice is gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

IP Logged
LarryP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bucking / missing at 65 mph
Reply #1 - 03/06/14 at 12:50:42

Mack, I noticed that you did not say anything about cleaning the carb, re jets , passages. Perhaps ? Hope some of the other guys will weigh in with valuable advice. Larry

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 03/06/14 at 13:27:04

Our petc0ck - the fuel valve under your gas tank - is vacuum operated.  If you have a small vacuum leak it may be starving your engine and not providing enough fuel.  Perform Serowbot's petcock test, found here:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

You are not alone, it's a pretty common problem.  If you determine that to be your problem, simply purchase a genuine YAMAHA Raptor 660 petcock.  Do a little research, the part number can be found variously throughout this site Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/06/14 at 13:34:03

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 03/07/14 at 05:13:06

Mack... I did the white washer needle valve mod and adjusted the air/fuel ratio on my wife's LS650 and the bucking has settled into a mild surging and the backfire on shutdown went away, still backfires a bit on hard downshift , wife never gets it past 60 so she doesn't feel it.
I'll be watching this thread to see if you solve it completely... oh and I also changed that vacuum petc0ck out.
Does that small line come off of your carb? or tank? sounds like an overflow.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/07/14 at 10:46:57

I did not rejet. I did let the carb soak / sprayed passages in carb cleaner for four days. This morning I tried the vacuum line bypass test with no success. I am thinking my next move should be a COMPLETE carb rebuild and the Rapptor fuel valve. Any additional comments are appreciated. Thanks!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #6 - 03/07/14 at 11:25:41

Before tearing the carb apart, I would try a Raptor petcock, or at least run on PRIME. My stock petcock developed a stiff diaphram and would not open the petcock under low vacuum conditions. This manifested itself under high speed/high load conditions like attempting to drive 65mph into a 20mph headwind.  My bike would act like it ran out of gas. It would stumble a few beats and then actually quit. Switching to PRIME while coasting down would allow the engine to start firing again.

Under run-around-town conditions I never experienced a problem.

IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/07/14 at 11:35:49

Gents, many thanks for replies. I just ordered a Raptor petcock even though the bypass was not successful. The stock petcock seeps a tiny bit anyway. A new one will be good.  But cannot find a source for a complete rebuild kit for the Mikuni BS40SS. Any advice?

IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/07/14 at 11:37:01

Old Rider, what is the white washer repair or mod? Thanks!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #9 - 03/07/14 at 12:29:11

Also make sure the gas tank cap is properly vented.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 03/07/14 at 12:31:06

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb woes and fixes
Reply #11 - 07/19/14 at 14:26:21

I'd posted about my Savage spitting and coughing at 60 mph and got some advice. Seems the main fix was to upgrade main jet size from 145 to 155. In being highly frustrated getting the float bowl off, I determined to make it easier. Replace your float bowl screws with socket head (Allen) screws from Home Depot. 5mmx12mm, SKU # 387480032789. The best tool is a flex shaft reversible screwdriver. Mine is made by Allied. The flex shaft allows you to get the bit into position and install / remove them. Getting the cheap tin can screws out was a headache. Putting in the new Allen heads was a breeze. I can change jets in 10-15 minutes. Oh, by the way, thanks to the rider who advised cutting one full circle of spring off the reversionary valve assembly. Magic! No more backfiring.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Carb woes and fixes
Reply #12 - 07/19/14 at 18:27:21

I remember your thread, did you ever get around to doing the white spacer mod?  Yep, stainless steel Allen head screws make a whole lot of jobs easier.  They should sell them that way.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Re: Carb woes and fixes
Reply #13 - 07/19/14 at 22:08:55

I replaced all of the external screws on my carburetor
with Allen head screws.
Here's a picture that shows the location, sizes, and
quantities of the screws.

Carb_Screws_Web.jpg

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Still coughs and stumbles like running out of gas
Reply #14 - 07/20/14 at 10:47:23

Engineer: Please tell me again about the white spacer fix. I can't find it. Last night I installed a 155 main jet (up from 145) and it still coughs and sputters like it's running dry at about 61 mph, level ground. I've adjusted valves, gapped the plug, new air cleaner, Raptor petcock. . .
I like this bike but it's getting close to becoming a trade-in!
Thanks, Engineer!
49mack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:27:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bucking / missing at 65 mph

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.