Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Considering a "long" ride (Read 75 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Considering a "long" ride
03/06/14 at 08:06:12

I thought I mentioned it here.. but maybe not. I got robbed a few weeks ago. They made off with nearly all my guns. For those not from "around here" guns are not just something you own to shoot. They are something passed down generation to generation. The shotgun that was stolen was my grandfathers, and was made in 1860's. I had it since I was about 18, and was due to pass it to my son.  but anyway....

The insurance had payed off, and I have found a replacement for one of my pistols... it is 388 miles away in Athens AL. So I am considering making the trip on the Vstar 1100. It would for sure be the longest ride I have ever taken and it would be bar far the most time I had spent on the interstate on a bike.

thoughts?? advice??

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Considering a "long" ride
Reply #1 - 03/06/14 at 08:19:29

I would want warm and dry weather before I started on a long trip.  I am not taking any long rides in 24 degree weather.  Even if I dressed warm - it would have to be in the 60's before I went on a long ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/06/14 at 08:26:59

Take a break every 100 miles or so, to walk around and wake up yer' back and butt...

Just like a long airline flight... you need to get your circulation going...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #3 - 03/06/14 at 09:59:31

I'm with Dave, it's got be at least in the 50s and dry before I'd ride very far.  A couple of friends and I went http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/ for lunch last May and the ride back was in a thunderstorm with hail.  I'm pretty sure air temps were in the 50s and I was miserable most of that trip after we got wet.

And like the 'bot says, stop every 100 miles or so, get off, walk around and get something to drink. It's easy on my S40 since I have to stop then for gas anyway. Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/06/14 at 10:26:50

Yeah, Pine. IMHO, if you are going 400 miles one way on the Interstate on an errand, then take the car. All you will do is wear a flat spot down the middle of the rear tire and start wondering why you are out there dancing with the Peterbilt trucks. Take an extra day and plan a back roads trip.
Just my two cents

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 03/06/14 at 11:32:45

I love the concern... I am a "fair weather rider" myself... temps are expected to be 69F winds light ( 6mph) zero percent chance of rain...

Well.. I may take the truck...

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 03/06/14 at 14:50:59

Give it a go!  Take look on map and see if there is somewhere interesting you may want to stop and take break.  Last year I did (3) 500 mile days.  Just make sure you avoid rush hour in Atlanta.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #7 - 03/06/14 at 18:13:47

The V Star will do just fine for the trip. I took mine on many long trips without any problems. Depending on how you ride, you will be switching to reserve about 125-150 miles which makes for a good stop to fuel up and stretch.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 03/06/14 at 20:49:05

Take a GOOD rain suit Pine, it is going to be 30% or better about every day along the lower section of the eastern states for the next 2 or 3 months.
Weather man says from this week to next it is going to be in the mid to upper 60's and lower 70's, BUT.... 20% chance of scattered thunderstorms....
Nevermind was thinking Atmore....not Athens... looks like some good ol' state highways up there, might prove to be a nice ride.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 03/07/14 at 02:51:08

I have to agree with the 50 def temp, since once you add in the wind chill effect it gets pretty cool real quick.
Don't forget though, that throughout the entire year in a LOT of the country occasional thunderstorms are common, so regardless of temp it is necessary to have rain gear handy if you want to stay dry.
Of course, if it is too warm and you welcome the cool water and prefer evaporative cooling then go for it dude.

Very sorry to hear about the guns.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:37:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Considering a "long" ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.