Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spring Tune-up after some winter neglect. Input? (Read 72 times)
SaraPeg
YaBB Newbies

Thompson Falls, Montana
Spring Tune-up after some winter neglect. Input?
03/06/14 at 08:01:19

Hi guys,

First, thanks for any input and help I receive. Really appreciate your time here. I'll try to keep this short..

I have a savage 650, 2003 with about 12k miles. Had planned to ride it all through this winter but with how cold this one was and some other things going on in life, I didn't ride much past fall.

Went to start it in December and battery was dead. Have left it outside and covered, exactly as is, all winter and now with spring almost here I'm feeling like an idiot for not doing anything to winterize.

I know I'm probably going to need a new battery because this one has been dead and frozen for too too long.

As for other things I must do to get it safe and sound and working, I'm not fully sure. That's where I wanted to ask for you guys to help me with coming up with sort of a list I can go through.

I have a Clymer manual and am pretty handy/mechanical for a gal so I'll be doing all the work myself.

I just don't want to miss anything crucial.

Also, can someone reassure me that I didn't kill my bike by being such a bad mother to it this year? You can also yell at me for it.

Thanks again for any input and for your time!

Let freedom ring.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Spring Tune-up after some winter neglect. Inpu
Reply #1 - 03/06/14 at 08:13:12

Don't try to start it and drag a bunch of old fuel and rust into the petcock and carb.  Drain the fuel and throw it out......look inside the tank and see if the tank got rusty.  If it is rusty.....take it off and clean it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386849349

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SaraPeg
YaBB Newbies

Thompson Falls, Montana
Reply #2 - 03/06/14 at 08:16:05

Thanks, Dave. Will do.

Let freedom ring.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/06/14 at 08:19:54

Fresh gas, fresh oil, new battery,.. and go...

PS,.. there's a tiny screw on the bottom of the carb floatbowl that will open a drain for the carb... might as well get the old gas out of there too...
Then fill the tank and start it up with the petcock set to PRIME... (once it starts, you can switch back to the RUN setting)...

Welome to SS.Com... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SaraPeg
YaBB Newbies

Thompson Falls, Montana
Reply #4 - 03/06/14 at 08:39:45

Thank you and thank you!! As much as I love winter, I can't wait for the weather to warm up!

Let freedom ring.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 03/06/14 at 09:49:34

Air up the tires too!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 03/06/14 at 10:32:10

1.  Try charging the battery first, before just buying a new one, though if it was "dead" it may have frozen and be no good.  You might need to refill with distilled water too.  

I am still on my original '07 battery.  It is often fairly dead by spring, but charges up again OK.  

(It was in an unheated shed all this winter and came back dead.)  My bike is not roadworthy yet, but the battery took and is holding a charge after being topped off with distilled h2o

2.  I drained my old gas from October and topped off my Ford Explorer tank with it.  (thrifty!)

3.  Better check all your turn signals, lights.  They have a tendency to quit working after a winter out.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/06/14 at 11:31:16

Serowbot wrote on 03/06/14 at 08:19:54:
Fresh gas, fresh oil, new battery,.. and go...

PS,.. there's a tiny screw on the bottom of the carb floatbowl that will open a drain for the carb... might as well get the old gas out of there too...
Then fill the tank and start it up with the petcock set to PRIME... (once it starts, you can switch back to the RUN setting)...

Welome to SS.Com... Wink...

I just bought a savage off a guy that had been sitting for 4 years outside. Did everything you said above and it fired right up. Oh and I changed the air filter because it was black and smelle like it had oil in it from the crankcase breather. Oh yeah.... and it only cost me 300 for the whole bike  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:20:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spring Tune-up after some winter neglect. Input?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.