Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fuel leak. (Read 241 times)
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel leak.
03/04/14 at 07:43:52

I built a RYCA type mod last year. Lowering the front and raising the rear. I have done a raptor petcock conversion as well as many other mods. Early this year I discovered fuel dripping from the air filter. I removed the carb cleaned and adjusted the needle valve on the carb new gasket on the bowl and installed the raptor petcock, drained the oil and did a cam chain mod. Everything seemed great. Today I walk into the shop a smell fuel. The petcock is off and there is a puddle of fuel under the bike on the lift. Looking in the oil sight glass it looks as if there is fuel in the engine. My question is WTF?  Any ideas guys?  The petcock is obviously leaking but doesn't seem to with the tank removed.  The carb does have a forward lean as does the engine.  Angry

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fuel leak.
Reply #1 - 03/04/14 at 08:04:20

spontaneous fuel leak?  can't happen.
how are your fuel cap vents?
genuine yami raptorcock?
try pressurizing the tank a little (pucker up and French it)
does it leak?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/04/14 at 08:07:32

Is that a Chinese Raptor?...  If your observations are correct, it clearly needs new rubber inside...
If it's not really in the oil,... I'd say replace the float needle and seat...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/04/14 at 09:59:22

Make sure you are moving the lever to the correct "OFF" position.  Some motorcycles use the handle as the indicator, some have a pointer on the other side of the lever.  Maybe you are turning the petcock to "RESERVE" instead of "OFF".

To confirm if the petock is working, either take the tube of the carb and see if fuel flows or drips out of the tube with the petcock turned off.....or open the drain in the carb and see if the flow continues with the petcock turned off.

The fuel should not flow if the petcock is closed.

I have a Cafe' conversion with a number or RYCA parts, and it does lean forward, and I have no fuel issues.  The angle change is not enough to make the carb overflow.....however it could tend to move any unwanted overflow toward the engine intake rather than the air cleaner.  You might want to take a close look at the carb needle once you have the petcock issue resolved.....it should be able to shut the fuel flow off and not allow the carb to overflow even if the petcock is turned ON.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/04/14 at 10:34:10

I had the tank off for a couple of weeks recently waiting for modified cam chain adjuster and there were no apparent leaks then.  Changed throttle cable and rode maybe 20 miles seemed fine. Then I noticed what I thought was an oil leak but apparently it was a grime gas mixture. I had this problem before as I mentioned above. I cleaned the needle valve assembly, placed the float in a cup of fuel to make sure it was ok then blew air into the fuel line as I gently raised the float to cut off the flow with only light pressure.  The bike seemed to be fine for several weeks then.....
I will order a new float, seat, and needle valve, and check the petcock.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/04/14 at 10:41:39

even if you have a bad float, or float valve, this should not happen if you've turned the petcock off when you're not riding.

are all the vents and hoses routed like stock?

WWW   IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/05/14 at 05:01:33

Apparently petcock is China knock off.  and does leak in off position.  Orderd Genuine Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R
Prt # 5LP-24500-01-00
Part is stamped H14

Also ordered carb kit and float from Suzuki Dealer.
I will change oil again and start over with carb and petcock.

Pretty sure I have a clean engine now.

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/05/14 at 05:04:27

verslagen1 wrote on 03/04/14 at 10:41:39:
even if you have a bad float, or float valve, this should not happen if you've turned the petcock off when you're not riding.

are all the vents and hoses routed like stock?

With the modifided petcock the vacum is plugged.  The air box modification left the two vent hoses with no place to go so they are routed up over the carb toward tank.

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/05/14 at 05:13:15

one more question.  When I install the new float and needle valve the Clymers Manual only list a measurement when setting the tang on the float to get the proper height.  When I cleaned it I put a fresh hose on the inlet and blew through it and adjusted the tang on the float until light presure on the float cut off the air flow.  Is it better to just measure, or is there a better way to set this.  
When I parked the bike before the puddle it ran smoothly and idled perfectly.  There was no backfire or sputtering at any point.  So no apparent fuel issues.  Its just bothersome to keep having this problem.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/05/14 at 05:43:52

The proper way to set the float height is to turn the carb upside down, and just let the weight of the float compress the needle/seat.  Then measure the float height from the gasket surface.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/05/14 at 07:28:03

You sure thats upside down?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/05/14 at 07:50:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/14 at 07:28:03:
You sure thats upside down?

That is the way I have always done it.....and the way most manuals show it being done. (Don't pay any attention to the distance listed in the photo....not sure what carb that is).

FloatDiag.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 03/05/14 at 09:01:35

Alternate method for the inversion challenged...

Quote:
Float level is 1.06 to 1.114" for all models.

Easiest way to check, get a clear fuel hose that will fit the nipple on the bottom.  Hold it up along side of the carb.  Open the drain and fuel will go up in the tube.  put the petcock to prime and the fuel level should come up to the where the bowl meets the carb body.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 03/05/14 at 10:54:07

AHH! What was I thinking?!! Yea, Dave, youre right,, & IF it needs adjusted , thats how to go about it, but as Versy posted, the easy check is a piece of tubing,

Ive been known to set a float a hair lower than spec, I dont see how that is gonna hurt anything. Anyone wanna splain why thats a bad idea?
I know I HAD to do that to an old Suburban w/ a Quadrajet that I hadda put an electric fuel pump on, It was flooding after the mechanical pump died. Well,, I have no idea what level I set it at, actually. We were camping in Big Bend & had no way of checking, I just popped the top off & bent the tab & HOPED for the best,,
Thank Gooniss I hauled tools or my buddy woulda been way stranded.
He was disappointed when I handed him the tool bag & explained what he needed to do. I was on vacation, Smiley  ,, But, it took him forever but he got it all hooked up. It just wouldnt run more than a few seconds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/05/14 at 11:03:04

The Mikuni manual actually recommends adjusting the float level as a tuning option.......when one main jet is too small and the next size bigger is  too big!  They must really be doing some "fine tuning"!

3. Low end (full throttle / 2k-3k) Float height (AKA fuel level & how to..)
To get best low end power, set float height so that the engine will accept full throttle in 2nd gear from 2.5k to 3k rpm at minimum. Float heights, unless otherwise specified in the installation guide, are measured from the "gasket surface" of the carb body to the highest part of the top of the float - with the float tang touching but not compressing the float valve spring.

Base settings are usually given if a particular application has a history of fuel level criticalness. The Fuel level height in the float bowl affects full throttle/low rpm and, also, richness or leanness at cruise/low rpm. Reference: a bike that runs cleanly at small throttle openings when cold, but starts to show signs of richness as it heats up to full operating temperature, will usually be leaned out enough to be correct if the fuel level is LOWERED 1mm. Check out and RESET all: Suzuki (all), Yamaha (all) and Kawasaki (if low speed problems occur). Needless to say, FUEL LEVEL IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:27:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel leak.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.