Send Topic Print
Fuel leak. (Read 241 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fuel leak.
Reply #15 - 03/05/14 at 11:25:50

Well,, SHAZZAM!! I gotta admit, I dont understand how a MM change in the fuel level in the bowl would affect how the thing runs. I shut the fuel off on the 4 wheeler & ride it to where I park it. I cant feel anything change till its sputtering. I do that because the bowl drain screw drips a little. Im not about to tighten it any more. & Its not a big enough deal to make me wanna take anything apart.
Any of you carb smarty pants types wanna try to educate a guy on this?
IF you do, then please be fore warned, Im gonna need a REaders Digest format if Im gonna grok it, dont go all Carb Engineer on me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 03/05/14 at 12:00:40

Well....at low rpm's and a wide open throttle....there is not much vacuum beneath the carb slide to pull the fuel up out of the float bowl.  So if it has to pull the fuel up 13mm......and you change that to 14mm.....it is gonna make a difference on how much fuel gets pulled up the jet.

Now the CV carb is going to help correct for some of that.....but raising or lowering the fuel level in the float bowl does make a small difference.

Here is a link to the article I qouted.....it is for the CV carb mounted on any motorcycle including 2 and 4 cylinder bikes.....so it is not specifically for the Savage:
http://www.zrxoa.org/webpages/techinfo/carb/carbtuning.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/05/14 at 12:23:43

The bike is an 86' so the main jet is a #155 and the pilot jet is a #47.5.  I ordered a jet kit and started to play with it.  but anything different I tried seem to cause problems so I returned to the original.  My assumption was that due to changes to the intake and exhaust I would need to change the jetting.  That is when the first leak started.  I made another assumption that I had caused the leak by bumping or damaging something.  I have had a similar problem with riding mower recently.  A Carb kit with a new valve and seat, and a healthy shot of carb cleaner solved that problem.  I am hoping that and a new petcock will have the same result here.  I have also discovered a new local source for ethanol free fuel.

Link to detail.

http://thelycanproject.blogspot.com/2013/12/carb-and-fuel-line-woes-on-specia...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 03/05/14 at 13:26:16

Dave wrote on 03/05/14 at 12:00:40:
Well....at low rpm's and a wide open throttle....there is not much vacuum beneath the carb slide to pull the fuel up out of the float bowl.  So if it has to pull the fuel up 13mm......and you change that to 14mm.....it is gonna make a difference on how much fuel gets pulled up the jet.

Now the CV carb is going to help correct for some of that.....but raising or lowering the fuel level in the float bowl does make a small difference.

Here is a link to the article I qouted.....it is for the CV carb mounted on any motorcycle including 2 and 4 cylinder bikes.....so it is not specifically for the Savage:
http://www.zrxoa.org/webpages/techinfo/carb/carbtuning.html

Okay, Dave, You said (So if it has to pull the fuel up 13mm......and you change that to 14mm) & I get this, in an "almost, kinda sorta" way,,BUT!!! (You KNEW there was a Biggo BUTT comin, didnt ya? )
What happens when Im running up or down a hill? Its no longer a vertical lift to get the fuel from the bowl to the venturi, I guess itd take a pretty good slope to tilt the tube from the bowl to venturi to make a MM change, IDK, Id hafta siddown w/ pencil & paper,, But seriously,,that would BE some fine tuning of jetting..
Okay, I get it, good enough to at least accept it as a tuning method.. But, I would never be the guy who would use it. I can see how a drag racer mite.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 03/05/14 at 13:53:09

JOG

The main jet holder is located about smack dab in the center of the float bowl - the fluid level at that point won't vary much with an angle change forward or back or left or right.  The float level in the Mikuni manual doesn't bother to correct for the mounting angle of the carb....but I suppose the specific manual for any bike that came from the factory with that carb may have corrected the float level for the original equipment carbs.

For the distance changing because of the slope decreasing the vertical lift....yeah it would a tiny bit.  But a carb is not a precision tool anyhow and the best you can make it do is provide a mixture that is close to ideal, and it will bounce into the rich/lean sides constantly.  When I jetted my carb I had an O2 sensor on it.....and it constantly bounced around as you changed throttle settings and rpms.  Fuel injection can monitor this change hundreds of times a second and adjust.......a carb can't.

The fuel level however can change a bunch when it is sloshing around on uneven terrain....or upside down!

If you use the clear tube method to check the float level - you will see a change in the level if you lean the bike over....since the clear tube is held beside the carb and it is not in the center of the float bowl.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 03/05/14 at 13:58:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/14 at 13:26:16:
What happens when Im running up or down a hill? Its no longer a vertical lift to get the fuel from the bowl to the venturi, I guess itd take a pretty good slope to tilt the tube from the bowl to venturi to make a MM change, IDK, Id hafta siddown w/ pencil & paper,, But seriously,,that would BE some fine tuning of jetting..  

paper aside and seat of the pants ruling...
Downhill a forward tilt of the pickup tube will reduce fuel delivery but due to less throttle, less is needed anyway.
An uphill will just about level out his RYCA tilted carb, shortening the lift and richening delivery.  More power scotty, thank you.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 03/05/14 at 18:41:39

Man,, thats just too cool,, OOOkay,,

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/09/14 at 20:58:56

I picked up the carb kit and the float Friday. The petcock also arrived Friday from California!  I was pretty impressed.  I spent Friday night changing the petcock out and cleaning and repairing the carb. The new seat and needle valve valve went in fine but the new float would not swing freely with the pin inserted. I had checked the old float and believed it to be fine.  So I put everything back drained and refilled the bike with oil and fired it up. It seemed to be great.  I let it run a few minutes then shut it down and backed it half way off the lift to get a better angle to check the oil level. I let it set a few minutes and didn't turn off the petcock. Low and behold it began to leak fuel from the air filter.
 I am in the process of moving my shop back to my house so most of my tools are at my house. I shut off the petcock and removed the card and took it back to the house.  Saturday I got up and ran some errands for my wife then I took the rotary tool and cleaned up the mounting area on the new float and installed it and set it to the proper height.  It was so nice I decided to ride my other bike and install the carb later. Later in the day I went back and installed the carb and followed the same procedures. This time no leak.
 One note when I went to work on the bike I had to use the back entrance because the restaurant across the street was having a classic car cruise in and the entrance was blocked with classic cars. After I got it running I took it out and cruised around the block a few times among all the classic cars. Even among those great cars it really turned some heads. I took some pictures of the carb and petcock and I will post them tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 03/09/14 at 23:22:36

Sheeeeout!... that's some tuning!...
I fancy myself a tuner of sorts,... but I just set the floats to be horizontal to the bowl...
Bowl get's filled,... but jets don't get flooded...
Period...

I ain't relying on gravity and straight roads to feed my carb...
More uphill than downhill?... are we accounting for inertia in turns?...
Pffffffffftttt!.... Grin...

I suck at maths!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #24 - 03/10/14 at 16:07:07

I've been caught out by mystery leaks a couple time on my suzukis (I know, slow learner) and both times was actually the o ring that seals the brass needle seat to the carb body. duh. Change that fixed it both times. Also, the new needle on my savage needed a couple of days to settle down and work right with no drips. Shouldn't be, but there you go...

BTW, Dave thanks for the carb tuning tutorial. Didn't know that... Smiley

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/10/14 at 18:56:20

Photos

Petcocks, OEM, Cheap Raptor knock off, Yamaha Raptor.

« Last Edit: 03/13/14 at 07:14:29 by OldSport »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:21:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel leak.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.