YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Back Problems
Reply #15 - 03/04/14 at 08:18:07

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/04/14 at 06:19:37:
My remedy, and it may sound stupid but it works for my, is to hang from a chinning bar for about 20 - 30 seconds, a couple of times per day.

Thanks for the reminder, Jerry,... I've been meaning to do that for several years, and never got around to it... I had a bar up at my other house..
...(I used to be able to do 40 chin-ups... probably can't do 5 anymore)...(and yer' back does feel better from hanging)...
6 years of procrastination... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 03/04/14 at 09:04:19

Gents, thanks for the suggestions, they should all be very helpful.  After learning a bit more, anything you can do to keep the spine straight with your hips aligned correctly, reduce tension / stress whenever possible (at all costs), as well as gentle stretching will be extremely beneficial.

I got get it feeling real good soon.  I got jets from Lancer on the way and I'm working on getting a tensioner from Versy.   Wink  

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #17 - 03/07/14 at 19:11:11

Gents:

I’m looking for a bit of insight to a rear shock upgrade.   Please point me in the right direction.  I weigh 180 lbs and would like to be able to ride with an extra 10 lbs on the back seat.  I’m thinking of putting on 12.5” or possibly 12”.    Here are a couple questions:

1)       Can someone explain how the lbs/inch or how that realistically applies to someone of my stature?

2)      Other than the slight issue with the chain guard is there any other issues?  Possibly handling concerns or maybe the petcock in won’t work as well in reserve?

3)      Regarding the VS800 shocks, I remember you don’t want to get those after a the bike became an s50.  Is that correct?

4)      Any other thoughts based on your experiences?  

I’m looking for some good deals on e-bay for either VS800 or possibly progressives.  As always, thanks for your help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/07/14 at 19:58:41

Sounds like the vs800 are the cheap way to go.
at least you'd find out the mechanicals of it.
and if you wanted better.

the 440's I picked up for 170 shipped were a steal.
and were a lot better than the 412's.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #19 - 03/08/14 at 16:43:19

verslagen1 wrote on 03/04/14 at 07:25:02:
pg wrote on 03/03/14 at 16:02:26:
I'm feeling better, but it isn't fun trying to get my leg over the saddle and those bumps don't feel so swell.   Sad 

I know that feeling.  Try putting your knee in the seat 1st, then pivot and swing the lower leg over the seat.

It took me a couple of tries to get it right.  But, is does help a whole lot!  Thanks for sending one of your tensioners.  I look forward to putting it on.   Cool

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 03/08/14 at 22:45:21

You learn to live with it. I have a life time prescription for muscle relaxants and narcotics. Missing chunks of bone and disc at 2 levels in my lumbar spine (should have had a fusion years ago). I have days that I can't get in and out of the Subaru or the Ranger w/o a cane. Legs tend to go to sleep after an hour or so in the Subie...

Savage has Intruder 800 shocks. No issues other than the handling, while better than stock, and the ride, while better than stock, suck. Bad back be dam*ed, my bike is getting a rigid conversion and a sprung seat. Have ridden rigids several times post op, it doesn't hurt any worse than a suspension bike does. And the handling is soooo much better...

It's funny, I can go 2 miles in a Kenworth T800/W900, a few hundred in a Peterbilt 377/378/379, or all day on a motorcycle. The bike seems to knock everything into proper position.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #21 - 03/09/14 at 23:05:45

pgambr, you need fixing--not the bike. Get a doctor to check you out and recommend some in-home therapy. Most docs have a set of exercises depending on the site and degree of pain. Keeping your muscles strong is the best way to hold your vertabrae in place. If it is more serious, you need to know that, also. Good luck. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #22 - 03/10/14 at 06:51:32

I did the 412's last year. The ride is improved, but still very harsh compared to a heavy bike. It also raised up the seat a tad, so you gotta toss that leg up even further.

My lower back ( knock wood) is good, but I still drop the $60 for a good massage every now and again. Funny how even though my lower back never really bothers me,  just how dern good it feels when they work just above the butt. Of course the shoulders are my weak point. they knot up like rocks.

I often think the main culprit is loss of muscle tone. Doing yoga, or some such seems to help (if I keep doing it).

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #23 - 03/10/14 at 15:04:53

Boofer:  You are correct.  Actually, everyday it gets a little better and I am changing how I do a lot of things.  This will be an ongoing challenge, but it is looking brighter.

Pine:  What length did you go with and do you remember if you went with the regular or the heavier springs?

Gents, thanks for your concerns and input.   Wink  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:29:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Back Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.