What else you do? (Read 368 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
What else you do?
03/02/14 at 16:50:50

I got started by my wife in photography who thrust a digital camera into my hands with orders to learn.
She needed me to take product pictures of her creations (which can be seen here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/deniseannette?ref=em )
I do approx. 2 hours a day capturing her latest creations, which she makes each evening after her day gig, no two alike, so each one has to be taken and posted, often only lasting minutes until someone from around the world snags it!

Anyway....

It brought me to a place I had no idea that dwelled in me....

photography.

I do her products, but I love landscapes!

I have shot portraits/weddings, etc....HATE IT!!!!

Too hard  Angry

Here is an example of my work, Lady Fisher.
Caught her from shore with my lens extended, as she is presenting her offering to the raising trout in a local lake where I live....

And a guy in his yak w/ a live one fishing the fall as the colors begin to change....

Here is one after the storm has passed, the sun is peaking out and shining through the storm generated waves that crash the shore down on the beach where I live....

So....what else do you guys do?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What else you do?
Reply #1 - 03/02/14 at 17:58:27

You are both talented, the pictures are great and so are the little glass creatures.  Does she use an oxy-acetylene torch to melt the glass?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 03/02/14 at 18:12:40

engineer wrote on 03/02/14 at 17:58:27:
You are both talented, the pictures are great and so are the little glass creatures.  Does she use an oxy-acetylene torch to melt the glass?

Thank you.

She uses an oxygen generator w/ propane in a minor bench burner.  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 03/02/14 at 18:38:41

Neat stuff....

Three years ago I was getting interested in photog. after seeing a friends shots.
Bought a FinePix700 and just brought it out again this week after seeing some early morning and evening shots of a fella on facebook.
Funny how I keep seeing photo's and keep whipping out the camera and not going anywhere and taking pictures, thanks for reminding me to get off my butt and go do something.
I was getting good at micro/macro shots (or so I thought) and have a few good pictures.
I have asked the few folks on facebook if they would start an amateur help studio and give pointers, but alas...they are keeping their secrets, secret Sad

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 03/02/14 at 19:41:31

old_rider wrote on 03/02/14 at 18:38:41:
Neat stuff....

Three years ago I was getting interested in photog. after seeing a friends shots.
Bought a FinePix700 and just brought it out again this week after seeing some early morning and evening shots of a fella on facebook.
Funny how I keep seeing photo's and keep whipping out the camera and not going anywhere and taking pictures, thanks for reminding me to get off my butt and go do something.
I was getting good at micro/macro shots (or so I thought) and have a few good pictures.
I have asked the few folks on facebook if they would start an amateur help studio and give pointers, but alas...they are keeping their secrets, secret Sad

The secret is......keep shooting!
Unlike film where it took a tidy sum to develop a skill (pun intend) ....
Digital is almost free. Shoot, shoot, shoot, upload and see what you got, if its only 1 out a 100, who cares, delete, repeat  Grin
Your eye and preference will come accordingly, and its fun to use all the different editing programs too. They can take a ho hummer and give it a special twist. Some turn their elitist noses at editing, but who cares about those buggy whip hypocrites anyhow  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 03/02/14 at 20:20:13

Yes, was doing that.... recently the night shots have me really interested in doing some more shooting... I uploaded some of my older ones to photobucket, here is a slide show

http://s1047.photobucket.com/user/Orphistle/slideshow/Finepix%20700

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 03/03/14 at 04:12:01

I spent the last two years of my studies at the Ontario College of Art studying photography- figure, portrait, and street. After that I worked as a commercial photographer for a dept store chain (Simpson's) for 2 years doing product photography in their advertising dept. I hated it with a passion, although I enjoyed working with my off the wall co-workers a lot.
After that, while at U. of Guelph getting a degree, I free-lanced, doing weddings, portraits, and general work. I hated doing weddings.
Now I do photography as a hobby.

"The secret is......keep shooting!
Unlike film where it took a tidy sum to develop a skill (pun intend) ....
Digital is almost free. Shoot, shoot, shoot, upload and see what you got, if its only 1 out a 100, who cares, delete, repeat  Grin
Your eye and preference will come accordingly, and its fun to use all the different editing programs too. They can take a ho hummer and give it a special twist. Some turn their elitist noses at editing, but who cares about those buggy whip hypocrites anyhow "
Raydawg, I agree with what you say, although I will add that shooting film hones your skills far faster than digital because of the expense. When I was at O.C.A. one of the teachers had us shoot transparencies only, so that you HAD to think about what you were doing while taking the shot because you couldn't edit it at all after the click. Talk about your ratio of keepers going up!! For my final graduating critique I hired a figure model for 2 hours and shot 4 rolls of 120- 2 slide and 2 B&W. About 1/3 of them found their way into the critique, and I got an A.
I guess I am an "elitist" "buggy whip hypocrite" because I dislike the attitude that ".. that's OK, I'll take 30 shots, one will be close, and I'll fix it in Photoshop". That gives all your photos a similar look. For example, if you had processed your seascape for accurate colour, it would loose a lot of impact. That yellowish tint makes me feel the sun on my face as I look at it.
Incidentally, when newspaper photographers began changing to digital, they would delete everything that wasn't printed, eliminating the possibility of going back to the shots they took for additional publication. They don't do that anymore.
If you want to learn about lighting, shoot everything in B&W for a while  (even flowers) and process it for as many tones as you can. Anyone can impress with colour, but it is harder to impress with B&W.
Just my 2c. Wink
BTW, I really like your seascape.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 03/03/14 at 07:47:52

Going to have to try a couple editing programs.... your second and third pics actually look like paintings to me....very soft...

Any programs you prefer over others?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 03/03/14 at 08:17:17

Teach, let me extend my remark.....
Not for a second do I think digital usurps film or the knowledge and talent it takes to be good at it, film stands on its own ground, as does digital, apple and oranges in my opine. Some of the rules and techniques apply to both, but all in all two distinct medias I feel.
My remark was based upon personal observation from those who shoot film and look at digital as the lessor of two arts. Nary do I see one who shoots digital discount the merit of the results and product of film.
Nor is this attitude solely unique to this endeavor..... I see it in other pursuits as well, fishing comes to mind.... a "true angler" will tie his own flies and only fish natural water for native fish, a hook with a glob of red worms is so sacrilegious to the sport he has to bath and change his apparel if one of these neanderthals pass him along the stream   Tongue 

Now....back to lighting  Kiss
Shooting glass is a real bugger...trying to capture the colors without compromising a lessor shade/tone gives me fits. The reflective nature of my product only adds additional elements to my problem. You any tricks or advice for me?
I was thinking of trying to move my lens further away so it gathers more light and I can tone down the lights and adjust my settings, but then I am thinking I was loose the contours, or sculpturing of my wife's work as it will appear flatter, yes?
Appreciate any adivce you can lend  Grin  

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 03/03/14 at 08:29:20

old_rider wrote on 03/03/14 at 07:47:52:
Going to have to try a couple editing programs.... your second and third pics actually look like paintings to me....very soft...

Any programs you prefer over others?

Lots of free stuff out there if you don't mind the ads, etc.
I myself use 2, Adobe PS Elements (12) as I am doing 100's of edits a day. My wife's beads are pretty consistent products, so the program remembers what I do and then incorporates that knowledge into a preset hit one button fix....saves me a great deal of time.
Of course I cam override that and go as far as I want, and that is way further than I know where to go  Huh
The other is from Topaz Labs. They make a lot of different filters you plug into your primary editing software, now this one is really easy to use with its presets and sliders, but you can take this program to points of unimaginable results with masking and stuff.
Some of the people who share their works their take the art to a new dimension, its awesome!!!!  

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 03/03/14 at 13:17:55

"Shooting glass is a real bugger...trying to capture the colors without compromising a lessor shade/tone gives me fits. The reflective nature of my product only adds additional elements to my problem. You any tricks or advice for me?
I was thinking of trying to move my lens further away so it gathers more light and I can tone down the lights and adjust my settings, but then I am thinking I was loose the contours, or sculpturing of my wife's work as it will appear flatter, yes?
Appreciate any adivce you can lend "
Have you tried a light tent? I looked closely at the pics of your wife's work (Nice stuff BTW) and it appears to me that you are using diffusers on overhead lights, with maybe a reflector or two. With a light tent you can get perfectly even lighting with no reflections on the glass. you need a minimum of three lights- four is better, and you vary the intensity from side to side or front to top (if you have four) in a ratio of 4-3 or 3-2 by moving the lights further or closer to the tent. I also had a small light in the corner to supply a specular highlight to the pieces. I used to use one to shoot silverware and glassware when I worked at Simpson's.
Hope this helps.
My wife used to make dolls with hand embroidered faces, and all the clothes as well, which she sold at craft shows. She did two or three life sized dolls for an art show that were 5' tall. I figured out her hourly wage and it was less than a buck an hour. An unscrupulous dealer bought five of them,  copied them with printed faces, had them made piecework by the dozen and pretty much put her out of business. This was before the copy write laws tightened up.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - 03/03/14 at 14:48:47

I don't even own a digital camera, but I guess I'll have to eventually for recreational and personal photography.
I'll still hang onto my Nikon 35 mm film cameras for as long as I can buy film, and get it processed.
At one time, with an Omega enlarger, I did lots of B&W, but those days are far behind me now.  I wouldn't even know where to buy the lab chemicals anymore, let alone the quality B&W films of 50 years ago from the likes of Agfa and Kodak.  Remember Plus X?  Is it even made these days?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 03/03/14 at 15:52:06

Plus x is no more. What I really miss is Kodachrome 25 120. You could project a life size figure on a white wall from a 6 by 6 slide and swear she was in the room.
My plan is to dig out my 2 1/4 camera, shoot B&W negs, process them and scan them into the computer to print.
I have three digital cameras, an Olympus E30, a Leica Digilux 3, and a Panasonic Lumix L1. The Leica has the best flesh tones, the L1 is almost identical to the Leica, but the colours pop a bit more. The E30 has a bit more resolution. I have a bunch of lenses covering 9-500mm including the Leica 25mm portrait lens and a 50 mm macro.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #13 - 03/03/14 at 18:56:00

Kodachrome 25 was the best film ever.  I still look at my slides that I took in the 1960s every now and then, and they are as fresh as ever.  The scenes jump out at me just like they did 50 years ago.  Ektachrome wasn't even a close second.  Is it still available?  Are slide projectors even still available?  What about the bulbs - where would you buy a replacement?
Why did we let ease and convenience destroy the art of those films and those years?  Maybe like we did the motorcycles of that era.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 03/03/14 at 19:05:52

I think that Jerry has hit a key point; we seem to go for ease over quality.  And yet, when I look at modern TV's and computers etc, and cars of course, wow it is a golden age.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › What else you do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.