Send Topic Print
Rislone (Read 111 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Rislone
03/01/14 at 18:14:07

I don't want to start an additives war, but I bought a 04 Buick lesabre recently, 80 k mi. Either the valves or lifters are ticking slightly, and I thought I'd add a quart of rislone to the crankcase . Are there any real reasons why this is a bad idea. I'm hoping at worst it won't hurt anything. Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rislone
Reply #1 - 03/02/14 at 00:51:30

Won't hurt nuttin' much... as long as you don't make a habit of it...
I've used Marvel's for the same thing, and it worked on my old truck... (un-stuck a sticky lifter)...

There's basically two kinds of additive... thinners and thickeners...  Thinners have things like iso-alcohol, kerosine, naphtha,mineral oil to penetrate sticky lifters and gunk... thickeners are motor honey, and make oil too heavy to pass leaky seals and rings (crooks use motor honey to sell dying cars to suckers)...
Don't use them more than once every year or two, and no harm...
Rislone never worked for me,... try Marvels Mystery Oil for sticky lifters... (but only once, and don't try to go 10,000 miles on that oil change... 2 or 3k max)...
JMHO...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #2 - 03/02/14 at 05:04:21

I second the Marvel Mystery use. Was on a road trip years ago in my well used 88 S-10 when a valve started sticking. Hit the next exit and put a half a bottle in the oil. Cleared it up before the next exit. Works as an injector cleaner as well. I still use a little in my vehicles now just before an oil change.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 03/02/14 at 06:23:54

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/02/14 at 07:15:34

My G-Paw had a V6 Chevy pickup that made noises up top. He would dump a little Marvel Mystery Oil in & it would be happy a while,
Ive never seen rislone, have no clue, but MMO seems like a good plan AND you can use it in air tools, so, its good to have around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 03/02/14 at 09:18:08

I had a bad experience with marvel mystery oil. I put it in my old bronco and it broke loose some old burnt oil in the pan and it clogged up some oil passages and made the oil pressure funky for about a year, until I sold it off, told the new owner who promised to tear it down and fix it, but got rear ended and ended the bronco's career.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 03/03/14 at 04:20:20

I also had a bad experience with MM oil. Put some in my Monte Carlo once and within hours I had a problem. Seems my valve seals took a dump.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/03/14 at 04:59:05

When I was in high school I worked at a garage and Rislone was one of the products used regularly when someone had a noisey lifter.  It was a rural area and most arterial roads where 45mph, the back roads were all 35mph.  For months you might drive 5 miles to work and back and never go over 45mph.....and your car ran 15 minutes going to work and then 15 minutes going home.  And for most people the oil changes were infrequent.....the 3,000 mile club was not yet invented then.

It was not uncommon for engines to get sludged up and an oil change that included a bottle of Rislone often calmed the noisey lifters down.  Marvel Mystery Oil and Kano Kroil as similar solvents, and help with engines that are gummed up.  Problems might occur if the engine is really sludged up.....and the solvents loosen up too much stuff all at once.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 03/03/14 at 06:41:41

Reading yalls post... reminds me back in the day... we would call it "kerosining the engine".

I treid it on my moms 1968 merc wagon with a 302 and about 80k miles. Yeah.. sure it unstuck that lifter... but I swear every gasket on the thing went out at once.

Ever since then... I pretty much choose to just use oil, and fix it if somethin needs fixing.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 03/04/14 at 17:48:36

Every 3 or 4 oil changes, my dad used to put in about a gallon of kerosene and let the engine run for a minute then drain the oil with kerosene out.  It was amazing how much thick black sludge would drop out of the pan as the oil was draining.

He never had an engine let go on him.  No seal leaks. Only 1 valve cover gasket leak I can remember.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/05/14 at 10:38:32

Done from early on in an engines life clearing the crud wont create leaks, but once the valve seals are crunchy with dried up oil & other seals are equally compromised, then flush the gunk away & the seal isnt gonna hold.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 03/05/14 at 11:42:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/14 at 10:38:32:
Done from early on in an engines life clearing the crud wont create leaks, but once the valve seals are crunchy with dried up oil & other seals are equally compromised, then flush the gunk away & the seal isnt gonna hold.  

Kinda what I have been told. Nice PM, but wont fix whats already bad.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/06/14 at 04:45:02

Has anyone else ever taken a valve cover off an old engine.....and found a 1/2 inch thick layer of congealed oil that looks like dark brown pudding?  I have done that on some engines and wondered if the engine ever had an oil change in it's entire life.  Dump some sort of solvent in that engine and run it and loosen all that crap up and run it through the oil system......and I betcha all sorts of bad things will begin to happen.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/06/14 at 08:02:06

I doubt Ive had the valves covers off of more than 10 engines, one of them was loaded with gunk. I asked what oil theyd used, it was Pennzoil, Ive never used that stuff since,, I know, thats not fair, I have no idea IF they changed the oil or how often, I dont remember why we pulled the cover, or if I even continued with the project.. I have been known to walk away from things that look like a waste of time..

You guys remember those old Matadors?( 72/73) A guy in the AF had one, absolutely gutless piece of crap, decided he wanted to rebuild it.,.mite have been 5 or 6 of us in that,, My big part of the project was keeping parts organized so it would go back together. Sadly, NO ONes job seemed to be knowing enough to solve the problem while it was apart..
Did anyone know we needed to hone the cylinders? Noooo,, so, we slapped rings in, never touched the valves & called it a "Rebuild",, HA!! BUncha 18 y/o kids with no experience at all. Amazing we even got it back to gether..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:28:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rislone

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.