Send Topic Print
'Heavy' Clutch (Read 55 times)
533clive

Knuckle scraper, and
airbrush artist

Andover, Hants, UK
'Heavy' Clutch
03/01/14 at 11:51:11

Just a quick question. How 'heavy' should the pull on the clutch lever be, when not running.

I only ask as the Savage I've just bought has not been running for a while, and the clutch lever is an effort to pull. I've gone direct to the clutch arm in the casing, and it's as hard to move too.

As it's sat for a while, will that be the cause, and will it get easier once running?

1990 bobbered Savage, and a 1996 work in progress

www.airborneartwerx.co.uk
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 'Heavy' Clutch
Reply #1 - 03/01/14 at 12:09:47

turning the clutch lever will be hard cause of leverage, put a monkey wrench on it so you can push down, then it's not hard.

you probably got to lube the cable.

running or not, it's the same.

WWW   IP Logged
533clive

Knuckle scraper, and
airbrush artist

Andover, Hants, UK
Reply #2 - 03/01/14 at 12:35:08

Cheers buddy

1990 bobbered Savage, and a 1996 work in progress

www.airborneartwerx.co.uk
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 03/03/14 at 10:01:59

EJID wrote on 05/01/12 at 15:09:12:
Not one to leave well enough along for very long, I started messing with the cables again the other day trying to re-route them a little better and I think I finally got them right.  Grin

Then I finally lubed the cables using this little trick http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1237997098/1#top
I was AMAZED at the difference when I rode it again today. The cables that I had put on were in dire need of that lube. I didn't have any heavy weight lube oil, so I used what I had (an old partial bottle of some old SYN 10w-40 that I would never use again) It only took about 30min before it was dripping out the bottom and I cleaned it up. Still a couple more drops since then but almost nothing.

Before lubing the cables, the clutch had become so stiff that I started shifting w/o using the clutch because I was dreading pulling it in (it took that much force). After lubing it, I can pull it in with 1, maybe 2 fingers as easily as I can the brakes on my mountain bike!!! What a difference.

I guess my rant here is just that don't overlook lubing those cables, simple and easy, that made riding more enjoyable again.   Cool

Lube the cables with that little trick and you will be amazed!!!  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:25:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 'Heavy' Clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.