repairable cars (Read 295 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: repairable cars
Reply #15 - 03/04/14 at 04:35:46

I've had a lot of classic muscle cars over the years, mostly Mustangs 65' to 68" but my favorite 4 wheel vehicle was my 69' Bronco so much fun!  Since my son came along I went current and got a new 2009 Jeep Patriot,  I got the full lifetime bumper to bumper warranty so no more wrenching for me except for the LS650   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #16 - 03/04/14 at 07:09:03

kt97679 wrote on 03/03/14 at 20:41:29:
I thought that Mustangs were decent cars, what specifically is wrong with electronics and suspension? From original "gone in 60 seconds" I've got impression that mustang suspension is pretty strong Smiley.

I am not googling this so I may be off. late 70's saw the intro of the new Ford "Fox body" as a much needed replacement of the Mustang II.  With the new body came a lot of kinks to be worked out.

My own mother bought a 1980 2.8 RS Capri. The engine was that great german little 2.8L v6. But the car over all was very unreliable due to bad brain boxes, faulty wiring and those "new fangled struts" that would not hold their position.

The 2.8 v6 still lives ( or did) in the Ford Ranger as the 3.0 v6, which I had in my 1986 Ranger. My 1996 Ranger had the 4.0 V6, another stuff engine that I would put up against any little truck motor of its day.

Other fun info that NOBODY cares about:
My 1976 Pinto had the 2.3 I4 and a C4 auto tranny. I raced the car, and could not blow it up or trash the tranny... the motor.. ehhh.

The 2.3 I4 was used in the Turbo Tbird and the 1979 Indy pace Mustang.  That same lower end was then used in the Rangers but with a  dual overhead cam. Ford got a lot of milage out of that little engine.

To me... I would love to find a well preserved Gen II Pinto. Fun to drive, easy to work on ( carbs were crap).. justa fun little jalopy of a car; Fords version of a VW beetle.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 03/04/14 at 11:01:26

While it is nice to remember the cool old cars we had, and how they could be repaired at home - times have changed.

I have owned a 1964 and 1966 VW bus, a 1964 and 1966 VW Beetle, a 1970 Karman Ghia, a 1959 MGA, a 1950 Plymouth, a 1957 Pontiac Cheiftain, 1970 Dodge Dart.........and they were all my daily drivers at the time.  There is little chance that anything but the Dodge Dart could be driven safely on the road in the Cincinnati area.  Traffic on the 4 lanes is 65-75 mph.......and when I had my bus it would crawl up the "Cut in the Hill" on I-75 from Cincinnati at about 35 mph and I would just tuck in behind a slow semi and make the climb.

A lot of the old cars don't have great brakes, don't handle all that well, run out of gearing at 60 mph, and don't have crumple zones, air bags ir even shoulder belts.  If you stay off the highways and only need to travel on local roads and city streets you might be OK.....but I really don't want to be doing my interstate travel in a 40 HP car again!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/lgwF8mdQwlw

Dave        

« Last Edit: 03/05/14 at 05:01:06 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 - 03/04/14 at 18:12:21

Great link Dave, was that the the Russian military?  If so I guess they don't have a whole lot going on these days huh LOL

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/04/14 at 22:28:04

Hi Dave, you points are valid, but I think those cars

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4351368515.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4342829986.html

are highway capable and don't have issues with brakes. Or I'm missing something?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 03/05/14 at 10:07:06

I think the big handling issue w/ Mustangs is one that only rarely surfaces for most drivers,, Their CG is right behind the front seat & if ya get all 4 tires broke loose in a spin it'll rotate on that axis, making it very hard to effectively turn into the direction of the spin & get the front end to "catch". The "Bear TRap" built in for the shadetree mechanic is the front fender. Get leaned over under the hood & start to lift something out & plant the elbows & Whammo,, you just dented the fender,, & then theres the need for the cross member supporting the shock towers, Tho, I actually kinda like that look..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #21 - 03/05/14 at 10:26:11

kt97679 wrote on 03/04/14 at 22:28:04:
Hi Dave, you points are valid, but I think those cars

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4351368515.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4342829986.html

are highway capable and don't have issues with brakes. Or I'm missing something?

I read or saw on the net somewhere that the Mustang II ( what you listed) was one of the most sold versions of the Mustang. Though I feel like many old Ford guys, that the Mustang II, was anything but worthy of the name.  The 302 car would be a kick to drive, but fully expect it to be passed by most V6's on the road today, as US car makers were being forced to deal with ever increased EPA regs. I don't recall any brake issues, and sure they will do fine on the highway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 03/06/14 at 09:18:05

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 03/06/14 at 21:08:00

I happen to have a 302 V8 on a stand in the garage from a 74' mustang. I was going to rebuild it and put it in my 89' bronco before I sold it and bought my 2000 F150.
Now I am thinking of perhaps rebuilding it anyway over the next year and do me some searching for a 2 door 69' falcon and drop that baby in it. Reason? my brother wants an old falcon like he had in high school, would be cool to get one for him.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 03/06/14 at 23:03:26

I have a 2001 Chevy Lumina, and once you get the problem diagnosed, it's not that bad to work on
unless you have to work around the darned air pump system california made Chevy put on it
unfortunately you have to do that for a lot of basic maintenance work
Hell for reliable though
over 300k on original powertrain so far

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #25 - 03/08/14 at 21:28:23

The Mustang's rear suspension is total crap. Ford bean counters made them engineer the control arms to move in two directions at once. Works ok for most people who don't know any better but it's a very bad design.

I'm not a huge fan of the front strut suspension either. I much prefer the old school upper/lower control arms.

2001 Mustang w/~130k miles

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/11/14 at 08:52:28

85 corolla
89 cressida
88 toyota truck
01 lexus rx300 (wife's car)
69 corona
68 corona
72 javelin
75 corolla wagon

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 03/11/14 at 09:18:04

My 95' Metro is as old school as a 60's car... other than a throttle body...
Manual tranny, cable operated clutch, manual steering, brakes, door locks, roll up windows, and a key without a chip in it...
No 20ft serpentine belt, no plastic engine covers,...
...and 52 screamin' Hp...  Grin...
Honestly,... 52hp is way more fun than you would think... because you get to use all of them, quite a lot...
Rides like a go-cart with a lid on it... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 03/11/14 at 11:13:34

Ive GOTTA get a test drive in one of those,, I like low ponies,, youve GOT to drive it right to carry any speed thru a corner..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #29 - 03/11/14 at 11:14:10

I think my favorite vehicles would have to be:

74 Super Beetle that I affectionately called Bug Attack. (Fastest 4 banger in three cities after I had got done with it.) 1600cc dual port with .041 racing heads, 2000lb drag clutch, biggest cam I could find without having to line bore.

82 Camaro Berlinetta aka Confederacy (due to rebel flag license plate on front). Stock 2.8L V6. (Stayed door to door with an Iroc)

72 Dodge Ram pick-up aka Big Red. 318ci with a 2bbl carb pretty much stock but she was practically bullet proof, 3 speed manual tranny.

and my current vehicle 85 Chevy Dually aka Clara Belle. 454ci with 4bbl, 3 speed manual with extra low granny gear tranny that came out of an old dump truck. Frame from an old moving van so she now has a 10 1/2 ft bed. There ain't nothing I can't hook to and pull.

Every one of these vehicles I can work on myself with the standard mechanics tools without having to have a degree in computer engineering like todays vehicles.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › repairable cars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.