Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
repairable cars (Read 295 times)
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

repairable cars
02/28/14 at 22:43:48

Most people on this forum like to repair things they use so I wonder what cars do you folks own? Modern cars can't be easily repaired with screwdriver and hammer so should be something 20 or 30 years old?

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: repairable cars
Reply #1 - 03/01/14 at 00:14:47

I agree.  I had a saturn for 10 years and it was a great car.  When it started having problems I couldn't fix it, a mechanic couldn't fix it, then saturn as a whole went away.  I now have an f150,  So far so good.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #2 - 03/01/14 at 02:41:23

On all my cars I do all the work myself, I either do it in the driveway on my back or on a lift in the man cave Smiley
The only thing I couldn't do myself was retune the GTI's computer...

I own a 2012 jeep patriot,I'm use to these newer computer cars. I haven't fixed anything on it yet but I have upgraded a bunch of stuff like, lift kit, skid plates..

Before the jeep I had a 2005 Vw GTI 1.8T, now to that I upgraded turbo, lowered it, too much too list :-D

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 03/01/14 at 06:17:55

1985 Purpose built Chevy C30 Dually with 10 1/2 ft bed, 454 4bbl, 3speed with granny gear out of an old dump truck.

This thing in practically bulletproof, but if if it does brake, I can fix it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/01/14 at 07:24:53

No one actually Taught me hoot about cars, but, I was determined,, & about the time I started understanding them, daggum if they didnt just Up & change how they worked! I was just starting to understand the points & carbs & such, when, POOF! Understanding points became pointless.. then, here comes fuel injection,, & computers & readers & codes & OHH MY Gawd, NEW shaped screw heads, ever few weeks it seemed I needed another set of tools! ( I figured that scheme OUT, boy! The tool makers came up with the new screw head designs & paid for the tooling to make them for the screw makers,,JUST so they could make a fortune selling tools)
Anyway,, a power steering pump on an 03 Taurus? Wanna change one? REally? YOU think YOU can wheel it in the garage & do that? OHH NO you cant,, YOuve got to get the pulley off of it, so it will go thru the cast bracket.. & THAT tool runs about 50 bucks,, & when youre pulling connections, youll see a skinny, white, plastic washer,, & YES it has to be there & NO it doesnt come with the kit,, & if you go together w/o it its GONNA leak,,

Ive never actually been happy to see a car break down in that "Its now worth fixing" category, but it did, I have an 03 Taurus lawn ornament,,transmission is dead, it needs a steering rack, & the windshield is cracked, about $2,000.00 to fix a Maybe $2,500.00 car,,

OHH, I COULD get a used transmission & rack, problee have both for $350.00,, BUT, ya gotta drop the entire sub frame & get the engine & tranny out,, kinda need a lift & a special dolly
Cars just arent user friendly any more,,
So, I have an 87 F150 300 CID 6 banger w/ a 4 speed..
fuel injected,, computerized,, phhhht!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 03/01/14 at 09:01:58

Can't wait for my fuel injected, electronic ignition, hydraulic throw out bearing equipped 1994 Ranger to give up the ghost for good.

As infrequently as I need to use it as a truck, I'd rather use the 85 C10 short wide. 4bbl carburetor, 262 V6, TH400 slushomatic.

Or my 1969 Dodge D100-128 with 318/727 that is going to be swapped out for a 390/C6, yep Ford engine, because reaching a rear mount distributor in a full sized truck sucks when your back is fragged.

Or my 1949 Dodge B1B-108 Express with a flathead inline 6 and a 3 speed. Rear axle is getting swapped out for the one from my 1992 Ranger parts roach.

I'd even drag the 1972 Super Beetle out of the barn and drive it, but my father in law got conned out of the 2332cc street/strip engine that it had when we acquired it. I don't like the 1600cc 1968 engine it  has in it now.

Found out last night that any tax return is going to have to go into my Savage. Can't afford to keep my job if I can't commute most days on 2 wheels. The company lied about pay structure (among other things), I'm still on trainee rate.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/01/14 at 09:07:44

Can't afford to keep my job

Ive had jobs like that,, heck, even roughnecking can be prohibitively expensive early on. Ya dont want to start out in the winter, because the cost of clothes will destroy a check,
When you make it past this level & youre a real, no kiddin employee,, you gonna make enough to stay on? I forgot what youre doing,, if you ever said.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 03/01/14 at 10:55:41

I had a '67 GMC van that never saw a mechanic because I couldn't afford to take it to one, then I had a '74 Volvo that I did everything on- replaced the head, adjusted the carbs, converted from auto to standard, complete body job, brakes etc etc. NEVER saw a mechanic in the 10 years I owned it. Then I had an '89 Four-runner that never went off warranty, then an '88 Land cruiser that never saw a mechanic except when the front axle had to be rebuilt because Crappy Tire put odd sized tires on it so the diff was constantly turning. Now I have an '08 Scion xb that I can't do anything to, because it has 5 computers that run everything from the throttle to the brakes. ( suppose I could change the oil, but it only costs $25 to have someone else do it so why bother).

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 03/01/14 at 11:34:37

I have a 2000 ford f150 4x4 that runs fairly good on warm days, on cold days it bucks like a bronco till it warms up. I know its the coil over plugs and have 2 to replace, but my reader says coils b & e need replaced and the manual reads in 1,2,3 ect.... and i'm not really sure which coils to replace, guess i'll have to get another reader.

I've already replaced the seal in the back window because it leaked when raining, replaced the water pump and radiator and hoses.

I also need to replace a abs switch or sensor cause the light always stays on (was on when I bought it but the brakes work so what does it matter) and will do that once my back gets fixed.

It just went over 200,000 miles this past month an still runs good and gets fair gas mileage for a pickup with a 5.4 L v8.

Here it is with my new truck tent installed

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 03/01/14 at 16:23:12

I'm driving a 1992 Holden VP Commodore wagon (just google it if you wanna see what they look like), Had it for 13 years now. Had 150,000km when I bought it, has 420,000 now. Never left me stranded and is still on the original unrebuilt engine. I tested the compressions a couple years ago and they were still within factory specs. I've replaced one transmission (had to drive about 400km in second after 3rd and 4th stopped working, towing a ski boat) one PS rack, shocks once and the rest the usual wear and tear consumables. I take it on interstate trips regularly. It still drives almost like a new one, no vibes, rattles, leaks, the air con and heater are perfect. It just looks like hell, is all. Most of the paint has fallen off. I chopped a matching wagon in half and built it into an enclosed trailer to go with it.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/01/14 at 22:43:11

Thanks for sharing experience folks. So what would you recommend to buy if I would like to have car, that I'll be able to service by myself? Preferrably not truck Smiley.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 03/02/14 at 00:35:13

Anything emissions exempt. You are in "Thing County WA", right? So no newer than 1989. Preferably even older, some things you just can't wear out irreparably. Early Toyotas with a 20R or 22R engine, older Honda Accord or Civic, air-cooled VW, any Chrysler product with a 318 or 360 V8, etc. If you do decide to get a truck, Fords through 1986 are good but need the TFI distributor replaced with a points version, Chevy/GMC through 1987 and Dodge through 1971 (1972-93 4x4 axles and bench seats are a direct bolt in upgrade by the way).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/02/14 at 20:26:25

Yes, I'm in "thing county wa" Smiley. Thanks for the hint, looks very reasonable. If you would try to find some optimum between fun to drive, reliability, access to spare parts and self-servicability what it would be from the list above?

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #13 - 03/03/14 at 07:02:43

Just bouncing off of what WD suggested:

76 - 86 Mustang/Capri - electronics and suspension are crap.
Early jap cars.. sheetmetal is not corrosion resistant like american cars of the era. It just means you need to keep mud and salt off of them

Sexy older cars to have:
mid 70s Toyota celica supra
mid 80s Toyota MR 2
early 70s USA truck
late 70's Toyota Hilux

Funny how keeping a keen eye on CraigsList and keeping enough cash on hand to pounce and you can find some neat stuff. I saw an 89 Celica for $1500 with only 30k miles!!!

The problem with some older vechs now is that oil.. just as in our bikes. The old cars needed the zinc, now its not there! My poor old Ford 390 was a real worry for me.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/03/14 at 20:41:29

I thought that Mustangs were decent cars, what specifically is wrong with electronics and suspension? From original "gone in 60 seconds" I've got impression that mustang suspension is pretty strong Smiley.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › repairable cars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.