Send Topic Print
Win XP dies April 8th (Read 237 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Win XP dies April 8th
Reply #15 - 03/01/14 at 07:48:57

Driving around shooting paintballs or tossin eggs takes time & costs a little $$$, but idiots do it & call it fun, wrecking other peoples cars or houses,, but who is it that sits down to write code that causes pain in the lives of unseen, unknown & countless others? Ive long suspected the antivirus people of creating the problems they sell the answers to. I have a hard time believing MS would pay someone to make MS look as vulnerable as it has proven itself to be. What better way to drive people to use "other"? Tho, I also believe MS & EVERY manufacturer creates back doors.. Because I believe the goobs require it, I dont believe anyone can produce a secure ANYthing.. NOt X-box, not a DVR, nothing that can be snooped can be made UNsnoopable, by decree,, even if the technology to make it secure exists, INsecurity is designed in,

Remember the Superbowl when some gal had a "wardrobe malfunction"?
In the days following stats were given on the news telling how many people backed up their DVR to watch it again,, & again, & again,,
How did they KNOW how many people did that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 03/02/14 at 04:40:38

Nobody said MS was paying criminals to pay hackers to write these paid attacks.

What was said was that criminals ARE PAYING  hackers to write attacks.

The "who pays the criminals to pay the hackers" was left as an open question.

Cops would say "Follow the money" and they would be right in that approach.

http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-august-2013

This is the current year's report on who could benefit financially from the writing of paid hacker viruses.  

Be sure to make the distinction between those who always get paid by customers and those who provides the fixes for free.

Security Essentials may be big, but MS provides it for free ....

Consider the SHEER SIZE of the anti-virus industry.   It is huge.

"According to Gartner, the security software market grew from $7.5 billion in 2005 to an estimated $16.4 billion in 2010".

There is a lot of coin to be made from MS's poor programming habits that IS their stinking OS system.   So much money that somebody figured out they could prime the pump occasionally to keep the milk flowing.

"Computer viruses used to be the domain of digital mischief makers. But in the mid-2000s, when criminals discovered that malicious software could be profitable, the number of new viruses began to grow exponentially."

MS does have a very large corporate business serving whatever needs the corporation has, and that includes fixing attacks and damages done to the customer's systems.   They do get paid BIG BUCKS to do so.

However, for people's personal computers, MS gives Security Essentials away for free.  It doesn't stop much, so when you need your machine flushed you still have to go to a pay-me company to get the real fixes.

Point made on several articles was that when XP dies then the AV people are going to have a license to print money off of it.  

And all the criminal hackers are saving up their best new nasties so as to get top dollar for them when MS's support ends and you are have to pay out the nose to stay running.

===========================

Contrast Linux please,  

Exploits are hard to find because the code is tight and very well written.   Once exposed, a vulnerability is patched in a day or so and the source code in the kernel gets fixed and released with the next scheduled release.

MS patched XP for 13 years and it is still septic with bugs and exploits.

Linux is so well written that the actual viruses can be easily counted (and  a record kept) of every exploit that has ever been found.

And here is the entire Linux list of malwares ....

http://www.unixmen.com/meet-linux-viruses/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware#Viruses

Note: many of these malwares were written to attack Windows machines but can be carried by any computer system -- so they are by default also listed as Linux viruses.   Since the net runs on Linux these sorts of "carrier only" viruses are a legitimate concern for the Linux folks.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 03/03/14 at 09:33:04

What is MS offering you to replace your XP machine with?

In a desktop, nothing --- no plans to offer any special OS upgrade deals either.   Old XP class machines can't run Win 8 effectively anyway, no touch feely screen and most XP class machines are far too slow to run the bulky Win 8.0 OS and don't have the systems memory to do Win 8.0 anyway.

However, there maybe possibly is a way to upgrade your OS and get a free copy of Office for a $200 total price tag which you might be able to move to another device later on (assuming MS lets you actually do that when the time comes).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/miix-2-8-32gb/2341001.p?ref=199&loc=TnL5HPStwNw&s...             $100 off subsidized deal

This is an 8" tablet with a quad core Bay Trail processor, 32 gigs of system storage memory running full Win 8.0 and containing Microsoft Office.   It actually has a lot more processing power than your old XP box ever did.

But it is a tablet.     Sad

But that is what MS sees as being a competitive product to the old XP product now days.

Rest assured that at $200 you are getting the full Intel Bay Trail loss leader pricing and a free copy of Win 8.0 as it is a "under $250" Windows device and is entitled to both company's low price leader full price cuts.

Just don't expect any ARM like run time off the battery system unless you let the energy nanny chipset on the motherboard choke the processor down to some sub ARM performance levels.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #18 - 03/03/14 at 15:16:49

My issue with using Ubuntu or something similar is that some programs just won't run on it. I know you can fool it to make it think its running on a windows OS but that won't always work. I know about the only piece of software i us for actual work just does not run on anything but windows.  Embarrassed

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 03/03/14 at 17:12:06

What piece of software is that?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #20 - 03/04/14 at 00:30:25

Its called MINDA, a farm animal management program put out by LIC (Live stock Improvement Corp) in NZ

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:28:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Win XP dies April 8th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.