Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
hi new here, savage locked help me get er done.... (Read 244 times)
WickedBiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa Bay Florida
hi new here, savage locked help me get er done....
02/25/14 at 06:38:07

Hello everyone
I just bought a 2000 savage650 in pretty bad shape for $500 no keys which should have tipped me off, but I figured even if seized it could be a fun project. Well I used the key code off of the ignition and for $23 on eBay had a brand new set of keys. Of course low and behold I charge the battery and turn the key and click that's it, no turn over or anything just click. Before that I put it into high gear and could not push it at all. So I know this could be quite a few things and don't really know where to start. I checked the oil and there was only a small amount in the bottom of the window so I filled it proper. My thought is to remove the spark plug and dump some mystery oil in the case and let it sit and try again.... So welcome to my new savage project thread and I hope you guys can help me, thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: hi new here, savage locked help me get er done
Reply #1 - 02/25/14 at 06:47:20

The big single is hard to turn over in any gear.......removing the spark plug could help.

You can also remove the little access port on the left side of the engine case with a tool inserted into the slot, then use a wrench and socket to rotate the engine.

Removing the access point can be done with the tab on an old brake disc pad, or a piece of steel bar cut to fit the slighly rounded profile of the slot, etc.  They can be tight........

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/25/14 at 07:11:49

My thought is to remove the spark plug and dump some mystery oil in the case and let it sit and try again....Id say thats a good plan.,.& get the battery tested & have a look at the connections, the main ground is by your right ankle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #3 - 02/25/14 at 07:42:22

The battery is good charged it last night and the lights are beaming the spark plug on the other hand well...... you be the judge.
I think it was threaded for one thing and if your wondering what that stuff is where the gap should be it appears to be metal Undecided

I used a flash light to see as best I could into the engine where I removed the plug and from what I could tell it looked dry and there appeared to be gouge spots.

I did here it begin to sound as if it was turning over when I put it in high gear and tried backing it up after I removed the plug.

Is it possible some numskull jammed the spark plug too far into the engine and that's what happened?

I have to say I have never in all my years seen a spark plug that looked like this?????

IMAG0059.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 02/25/14 at 08:11:07

How many miles on the odometer?

Looks like a failure of some sort to me. I'd pull the head off of it and look at that piston, but first......pull your side cover off the right side and see if the cam chain tensioner failed.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/25/14 at 08:11:39

You need to pull the head or poke an eye ball down ol' sparky hole.
have a seat ready in case you are a fainter.

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #6 - 02/25/14 at 10:55:16

I just poured almost a gallon of mystery oil in the sparky hole so I'm going to if that will free it and in the meantime I will pull the covers off and check for tension-er failure, if it is that does that mean it's new engine time? I may be a bit but don't give up on me I'll be back if I have to get another engine and I can find one on the cheap less than $500 I just might. again if I have to.... Thanks

UPDATE: I just opened the stator side and it was full of mystery oil and large melted metal aluminum chinks and tiny metal peices. A lot!!

I am definantly going to need a new engine so if anyone has a used running engine for a 2000 savage 650 in Florida or willing to ship please  
PM me thanks
Adam

« Last Edit: 02/25/14 at 13:46:18 by wickedbiker »  
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/25/14 at 11:10:04

1 gal = 4 liters

where do you think it is?

I'll tell you where it's not... not between piston and head.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 02/25/14 at 11:26:38

Yeah.. if you put a gallon in the spark hole, its the piston rings and maybe piston shot, even if its down all the way I don't see maybe a quart and a half and it would be full, a gallon? means it already went past the piston rings.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #9 - 02/25/14 at 13:47:33

old_rider wrote on 02/25/14 at 11:26:38:
Yeah.. if you put a gallon in the spark hole, its the piston rings and maybe piston shot, even if its down all the way I don't see maybe a quart and a half and it would be full, a gallon? means it already went past the piston rings.

Yea I updated my previous post

Question though: I plan on removing the engine soon and opening it up, in the meantime what do you think the likelihood its only the piston or do you think the walls were most likely damaged as well considering all of the metal peices

WWW   IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #10 - 02/25/14 at 14:00:40

thats alot of oil.. don't know how you managed to pour in that much, but I would be carefull when taking off the intake and exhaust..

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 02/25/14 at 14:21:17

I doubt its going to be very pretty up top, with the spark plug looking like that.

Not sure what they can do with the piston walls, have to ask the experts here about rebuilds.

But I did find this, and a couple others by typing in Suzuki LS650 engine in the ebay search bar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Suzuki-LS-650-P-savage-engine-motor-gearbox-15k-...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Suzuki-LS650-Savage-LS-650-motor-engine-runs-str...

One in boca raton florida

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-SUZUKI-BOULEVAR-SAVAGE-LS-650-S-40-2008-OEM-ENGINE-...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/25/14 at 15:46:17

Chances are......this engine is toasted!

Not sure what caused the thermal melt down....maybe a high speed run and he was not watchin' the oil consumption.  These engines do go through some oil if pushed hard.

The first thing to do at this point is to drain the crankcase and see what comes out.....maybe even use some diesel fuel or kerosene to flush anything loose out of the sump.  If it comes out clean, there is a chance that the bottom end was spared the worst of it.

The second thing to do is pull the right side clutch cover and see what you can see in there - or - pull the engine out and take off the head cover and then the head.  If the cam and rockers are bad and the head bearings are scored.....moneywise it is time to find another engine.  If you can get away with only a piston and jug....you might be OK to try and fix it....but not if any crap went into the crankcase.

Time to do some mechanic work to take things apart and see how much damage has been done.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WickedBiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa Bay Florida
Reply #13 - 02/25/14 at 15:52:01

That sounds good thanks Dave. I'll take your advice and star there

IP Logged
WickedBiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa Bay Florida
Reply #14 - 02/26/14 at 04:41:40

old_rider wrote on 02/25/14 at 14:21:17:
I doubt its going to be very pretty up top, with the spark plug looking like that.

Not sure what they can do with the piston walls, have to ask the experts here about rebuilds.

But I did find this, and a couple others by typing in Suzuki LS650 engine in the ebay search bar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Suzuki-LS-650-P-savage-engine-motor-gearbox-15k-...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Suzuki-LS650-Savage-LS-650-motor-engine-runs-str...

One in boca raton florida

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-SUZUKI-BOULEVAR-SAVAGE-LS-650-S-40-2008-OEM-ENGINE-...

OK! I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the middle option on eBay the 1998 engine I wrote him and it has 15000 miles on it. So provided everything goes well I will have a running bike for $1000 oh yea they had best offer I offered $500 shipped and they took it.
Hopefully everything is cool and I'll be updating you with a running bike and asking about mods. Thanks guys see you soon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:28:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hi new here, savage locked help me get er done....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.