Send Topic Print
First post old problem (Read 96 times)
Urban Jonson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First post old problem
02/24/14 at 13:46:52

I bought a LS 650 -97 with the cam chain adjuster apart and I wonder if there might be a risk that the chain has jumped a few teeth?
Should I just  make the modification (extend the tensioner) and put it back on?
Or shall I check if the crank and the cam are in the right positions before?  Undecided
I have found all the pieces in the oil and I can't see any other damages, I have also bought a new adjuster which I will extend.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: First post old problem
Reply #1 - 02/24/14 at 13:56:04

I would check it, that and the head plug.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/24/14 at 14:04:12

If you do the chain tensioner mod, then pull the valve adjustment caps and move the engine to TDC.....if both rockers have some clearance the chances are the chain has not jumped time.  If one of the rockers is up on a cam lobe enough that the valve lash is gone.....it most likely is an indicator that the cam is out of time.

That is the only way I know to check the cam timing without having to take off the head cover.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Urban Jonson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/01/14 at 05:40:56

The chain had jumped, and I want to open the cylinder head cover to remove the chain and measure it. I think I've loosened all the screws, but I can't get the cover off. There are 3 longer bolts on the right side and 4 shorter on each side. Is there anything that I've missed??? I did not remove the bolt for the exhaust valve rocker arm shaft and not the valve timing inspection covers.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 03/01/14 at 05:58:34

You can hit the Tech section for Table of Contents, for all our tech issues, here is one which should answer your cam chain questions

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1176999168

And here is one that will help with the removal of the head, although it is for resealing the "plug" that tends to leak, if you are pulling off the head you might as well reseal or replace the plug, so it won't leak in the future

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 03/03/14 at 06:01:18

Urban Jonson wrote on 03/01/14 at 05:40:56:
The chain had jumped, and I want to open the cylinder head cover to remove the chain and measure it. I think I've loosened all the screws, but I can't get the cover off. There are 3 longer bolts on the right side and 4 shorter on each side. Is there anything that I've missed??? I did not remove the bolt for the exhaust valve rocker arm shaft and not the valve timing inspection covers.

You didn't remove the valve adjustment covers?  You missed one per side then that live under the covers.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:30:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First post old problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.