Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Put this Hella Headlight in the stock housing? (Read 169 times)
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Put this Hella Headlight in the stock housing?
02/24/14 at 12:46:52

Something must be done about the candle at the front of my Savage... I can't see a darned thing!

First, I did order the Easter Beaver Relay kit, I will be installing once it warms up.

Next up, we always had great success using the Hella E-Code headlights in the old miatas - even with the same bulbs. Just better reflectors, light cut off, etc.

Can I install this Hella e-code headlight into my stock housing with out much trouble?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002M9QKQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc...

Some of the schematics I have looked at for the Savage seem to show tabs, etc., which I know the Hella won't have on it. I just don't know if they are a separate assembly that can be transferred, etc.

If not I plan to go all out with the 7" light in a Dime City Cycles housing. I know that will give me better light, I am just trying to NOT make this into a huge project if I can help it....

Thank you for your time!

Jac

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Put this Hella Headlight in the stock housing?
Reply #1 - 02/24/14 at 13:09:32

You might as well go all out as the plastic bucket will crack on you sooner or later.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/24/14 at 13:31:22

Do a search or look though the index and find old threads on the headlight, it has been discussed at length several times.

I have some good Dime City products on my bike.....I have not heard great things about the headlights they offer.  The buckets are thin plastic and some of the lenses are as well.  Just be sure what you are ordering is better than what you have.

One of the Suzuki C50,M50, etc. has a similar headlight mount and is supposed to be a better light bucket than the S40/LS650 light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/24/14 at 13:36:29

HA!

supposed to be a better light bucket than the S40/LS650 light.

Wouldnt take a lot to do that,,Put much of a light in it & itll get hot & die

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/14 at 14:13:56

Thanks for the fast replies everyone.

Dave and verslagen1,

I have read back on past posts, I had not read where anyone had dropped a Hella into the stock housing.

The headlight bucket I am looking at from Dime would be this one:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

It is metal, and I would drop a 7" e-code into it and figure out what side mount parts work best. Open to recommendations! I like the ones that look to be one piece, but I am not sure if I want to drop the forks down for the install. It's one thing when a DIY Turbo install gets fussy in your car, a different bag when messing with the forks...

justin_o_guy2,

In regard to getting hot, I am not expecting that the same H4 bulb in a better (Hella) Headlight will get any hotter than the existing set up... is there something I am overlooking?

Thank you!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/24/14 at 15:02:02

Fishbulb wrote on 02/24/14 at 14:13:56:
I have read back on past posts, I had not read where anyone had dropped a Hella into the stock housing.

Neither have I, several have commented about the bulbs, but never the lens.

I was aiming for a 7" GS series headlight, but settled for the 5 1/2" as it was a metal bucket and wanted to install a HID beam.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 02/26/14 at 13:03:57

I got a Demon's Cycle headlight, good price and high quality metal construction, much better quality then I was expecting for the price.

http://www.demonscycle.com/headlights

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/26/14 at 17:47:13

ToesNose wrote on 02/26/14 at 13:03:57:
I got a Demon's Cycle headlight, good price and high quality metal construction, much better quality then I was expecting for the price.

http://www.demonscycle.com/headlights

Thanks ToesNose!

Can you tell us which one you went with? Any pics you can share?

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #8 - 02/26/14 at 23:07:52

My solution to the very dim stock headlight setup was to set my hi/lo switch at a point in between the two positions. This causes both hi and lo beams to light up. I had no overheating problems of any kind. I believe that if you add the wattage of the hi and lo beams together the stock housing will safely work with that amount of heat generation. Try it yourself with the stock light with both beams lit.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 02/27/14 at 15:22:41

I also got one from Demon's Cycles (eBay store) and I'm happy with it.

Here's my thread about my busted a$$ headlight  Undecided

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1381934686/

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 02/28/14 at 07:23:11

Quote:

Yea I went with a 5.5"  full 7" long bucket with the visor lip, I went for the longer one since I did a 3" HID conversion and didn't want to have to shoe horn all the components in there. Here's what it looked like when I first got it before the HID, now the bucket is semi flat black with the visor/trim ring still chrome. Once I have it together again I'll put up a pic of that too.  Wink

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/28/14 at 11:51:55

Thanks ToesNose! That looks good...

Is there a thread started covering your HID conversion? If not, any details you have would be awesome.

Thanks again!

ToesNose wrote on 02/28/14 at 07:23:11:
Quote:

Yea I went with a 5.5"  full 7" long bucket with the visor lip, I went for the longer one since I did a 3" HID conversion and didn't want to have to shoe horn all the components in there. Here's what it looked like when I first got it before the HID, now the bucket is semi flat black with the visor/trim ring still chrome. Once I have it together again I'll put up a pic of that too.  Wink

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy206/bcrx2/Motorcycles/IMG_3866_zps124a22...

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/10/14 at 10:51:38

Decided to go for it and ordered the 7" bucket and mounting brackets from Dime City Cycles. I'll do a write-up on the install.

Thanks for the info everyone!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/10/14 at 16:44:26

Yea there is a thread, unfortunately the pics that we're linked from Photobucket got dumped.  Sad.    I haven't had any free time to re-link the pics yet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Put this Hella Headlight in the stock housing?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.