Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gas tank rust and sludge (Read 74 times)
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gas tank rust and sludge
02/24/14 at 07:50:54

The 87 savage I purchased is pretty much going to be just a parts bike. I drained the eng. oil and about a pint of tar came out. No wonder cam chain broke. I would like to paint the fuel tank and use on my good bike. It is pretty crummy inside.. Have some kerosene in it rinsing. If I put a good fuel line filter on it will that be good enough to stop rust from damaging my good low mileage end?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: gas tank rust and sludge
Reply #1 - 02/24/14 at 08:07:07

I know that Dave had a post about how to clean a tank, but I can't find it at the moment. I'll look around, if Dave doesn't come back before I can find it Smiley.

Found it!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386849349

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #2 - 02/24/14 at 11:13:52

I just cleaned out the tank on my old goldwing using The Works toilet cleaner. It worked very well and was very inexpensive - $3.50 for 2 bottles. The wing has a 5 gal tank under the seat and I only used one bottle mixed with a gallon of water. Sloshed with some nuts and bolts, dried, and then sloshed with marvel mystery oil to prevent rusting until I could get some gas in it.

It took about a day vs vinegar which did nothing in a week. I plan on using the other bottle on my savage's tank. It's worth a try before you attempt some of the more expensive/involved processes.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 02/24/14 at 14:44:56

I remember an article a year or two ago in Classic Bike mag on cleaning the rust out of an old tank. They put a few handsfull of fish tank gravel inside, sealed up the filler neck and fuel tap bungs, packed it in cardboard and put it in a cement mixer. Sounds violent but as the pics showed, the cardboard packing stopped it tumbling about in there, the only thing moving was the gravel sloshing about, chipping away the rust. After an hour or whatever, the gravel's drained out, vacuumed away and the inside of the tank looked pretty shmick.
The inside of the tank probs should be dry to do this.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 03/12/14 at 00:14:22

A guy on my rebel forum did the same trick but using nuts, wrapping the tank in an old quilt, (taped of course) and running it in the dryer on no heat

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:39:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas tank rust and sludge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.