Knocking LS650 (Read 782 times)
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Knocking LS650
02/23/14 at 09:38:00

Purchased non running 1998 LS650, Cleaned carb... Runs. However... Had a knocking/Tapping sound. Read the topics, Verslagen tensioner was the first thing. Inspected the tentioner and yes, almost fell out. So, no matter what I'm getting that knocked out. I live about 45 min from THE GUY!! Super cool guy, did the mod quick and the work is nothing short of perfection. Fits perfect. All back together. Last night I started it up. Now just the knocking. Loud too. I have read a few threads and seems it could be a variety of things. My guess. The decomp not adjusted properly and/or valve clearance and/or Valve adjustment. If anyone has seen the LS650 youtube vid that say Sammy www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECcvy_rV5K4 here it is. It sounds just like this. noise is in sync with the rev of the bike. Throttle up, sound gets faster. So, Where should I start checking? Some suggested in other threads it is Valve Clearance, Decomp adjust, bearings gone, the " I will take it off your hands" guy, (by the way, I'm close... haha), the gasket is not thick enough (it does look like someone has been in there before because I see some black rubber seal gasket from around the spark plug area that has pushed out a bit). I did try to remove the head cover and did remove all the nuts to pop open the valve cover to see if I could be removed with out having to take the engine out, I got scared of going to far and tightened it back down. Maybe I over tightened?? I also removed THAT bolt that one thread here tells you NOT to when removing that valve/top head cover. Good lord, what a Noob I am. Are there quick inspection techniques to rule stuff out? Noob here so I really thank you. I tried to read and watch as many vids as possible before asking and I think, I can take pics and videos of what the hell I'm deal ing with if needed.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Knocking LS650
Reply #1 - 02/23/14 at 09:45:58

I'd try adjusting the valves first... it's pretty easy to do...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #2 - 02/23/14 at 09:49:23

Ok, I will Do that. Thanks for the link. Get my feeler and move forward with it.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 02/24/14 at 16:44:23

From the video it sounds like an "upper" noise. You can do the poor man's stethoscope (two foot broom handle, piece of metal rod, big screw driver") and put one end on the motor and the other on your ear. You'll be able to listen to different parts of the motor and isolate the sound a little better.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/24/14 at 19:16:17

If someone put the head cover on & used some too thick goo & didnt get the cam/head cover distance right, the cam may be sitting too loose.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #5 - 02/27/14 at 12:32:46

Is there a gasket for the top end instead of using the goop? part #? I will also try the broom stick trick... Thanks. I will be on this bike probably Tuesday of next week. I will keep ya'll posted. Thanks a ton.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/27/14 at 13:07:21

The valve covers have 0-ring seals (reusable)...
That's all you remove for a valve adjust...

The head cover has no gasket, just RTV sealant... use very,.. very little...(it's easy to plug up an oil passage using too much)... Thin like you're sealing a letter,.. not making a peanut-butter sandwich... (and I don't mean a wax stamp kinda' letter seal  Grin...)...
Basically,.. if you see any ooze out when you tighten,.. an equal amount oozed inward... that's not good...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/27/14 at 13:44:34

NOT this!

headsealplug-033_002.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #8 - 02/28/14 at 16:17:07

Sounds like badly worn rocker arms... Had the same noise with mine( the ends that ride on the cam) they tend to gouge out the rocker arms, the cam Is steel of course, but the arms are aluminum, they run around $60 each from ma Suzuki, this may or may not be due to a lack of oil or misadjusted valves but just a suggestion from experience..., hope this helps!!

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #9 - 06/10/15 at 15:07:19

Ok, I know I'm bumping a very very old post, but FINALLY had the time to pull the engine and take a look and the arms and camshaft. I had the verse cam chain mod done and I went through the valve adjustments that were on the tech posts and still had the same noise. So here you go... I think we got the answer.

check out the cam lopes... they look lop-sided.

Also, the idiot that did this job before put too much RTV on it. It actually built up and was over a lot of the internals. A glob of it sat right on the valve springs. just a mess. So, what do I do now. Is this as easy as just getting a new camshaft and rocker arms?? New engine?? How difficult is this going to be to get done? Any help... I will thank you in advance.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/10/15 at 17:21:02

IIRC, Versy can get the rockers welded up and refaced and what a wonderful time to put a stage one or whatever cam in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #11 - 06/10/15 at 17:38:20

oh sweet... did not even think of that. Versalagen is like half hour from where I live too.... I got the cam chain tensioner mod done from him. Should take him my head too. The journals are built up or worn out... don't know which. should I get a new head here? I think some oil starvation on the middle journal from the "too thick" silicone job clogged some oil passages. Check these out...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/10/15 at 17:43:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/24/14 at 19:16:17:
If someone put the head cover on & used some too thick goo & didnt get the cam/head cover distance right, the cam may be sitting too loose.

The head is hurt. Some one did a fix, but I don't remember who or how long it lasted.

IP Logged
HBTim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Huntington Beach, Ca
Reply #13 - 06/10/15 at 17:56:02

I think I'm in new engine territory. I have a chance to pick one up with 7000 miles on it. from an S40 2011. It's the same engine right??

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 06/10/15 at 18:33:05

Yep, same.

Those pics make me cry.  :'(

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 12:44:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.