Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sporster cv pumper carb (Read 155 times)
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sporster cv pumper carb
02/22/14 at 16:25:43

has anyone tried a sportster cv carb on the s40? I had the manafold at a harley shop and a sportster 40mm?? fit on ok. Since it is jetted for twin 1200 cc, it should be close enough to start out on a 650cc. I have a sportster but do not want to take carb of to try. Oh by the way older sportster carbs are not easy to find.

« Last Edit: 02/23/14 at 07:32:41 by victorbsa »  
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: sporster cv pumper carb
Reply #1 - 02/23/14 at 06:29:39

Sportster

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/23/14 at 07:42:20

I am sorry for sporster instead of sportster error. By the by, I also spelled manifold wrong, which you neglected to point out. I am from former East German Republic and English is hard to construct sentences properly. Old German saying goes,"If you are going to teach, you must first be smarter than student." There is no reason for spelling errors anyway, as I see the site has spell check, which in my hast, I failed to use.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/23/14 at 08:14:31

I can spell my own name wrong... Undecided...

Anyway,.. as far as the carb... seems like you could make it work, but I have no advice as to how...

When you ask a question, and get no replies... it's not that no one cares,.. It's usually that no one has an answer...

PS... Take the spelling correction as a compliment... You post clearly enough, that no one realizes English is not your native language...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/23/14 at 08:55:08

If students hadnt been smarter than their teachers society would never have progressed.. How many have succeed in a field where they had no teacher?
Dont sweat the spelling, communication is the game here. You wanna ride a Sporster, thats just OOookay,, Ride that Mushroom Makin Machine, dude!

Seeing as your history isnt in English, Spores are what mushrooms make,,

http://www.spores101.com/

Your English is much better than my German, maybe my English, too, but, lets not go there.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/23/14 at 08:57:57

I have owned 11 British bikes 7 jap (counting the two s40s I still have) 4 Harleys. British never had a very good carb when I had (amal 930) I don't remember ever having a problem with jap carbs, and only recently one with a Harley... the one I ride now. My sportster is a 98 with 6,ooo miles. I think the problem was lack of use and improper storage. I had Yamahas set unstarted for years and they would start up with little effort.The biggest complaint I hear of the suzuki carb is the lack of quick response, and I just thought the harley carb(with the pumper) might eliminate that. I had the suzuki carb at a harley dealer and they asked what harley it was off of. I suppose if ya have to pay several hundred to get an old cv harley carb you might just as well get the mikuni that Lanser offers all set up already, and be sure of a better carb. I know a lot of harley riders over my years always went to mikuni as an upgrade.

IP Logged
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/23/14 at 09:09:12

I just saw your post on my reply to a reply....What Happened??? In your name box it says WHAT HAPPENED ? is that from the two words said in every three stooges episode ? cool. As you see above my sportster has 6k and is a 1998. so I quess i don't really like it that much.It just has become worth only $1,800 around here on a good day so It's worth more to me than others. I have become crazy about this suzuki since i rode it last fall, and found you guys with all this experience and knowledge to share. From the first ride around the block it reminded me off not the best bike I ever owned , but the one I had the most fun on. My 441 BSA, followed by a triumph 500 single rode bike, and then a 500 triumph scrambler, which by todays design, are obsolete.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/23/14 at 09:20:39

By today's standards,.. our beloved Savages are obsolete... Grin...
We love them anyway... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/23/14 at 12:18:36

I have a Kawasaki W 650. Its a twin, one carb has an accelerator pump. I did the valves, still didnt run right, I discovered the pump diaphragm had not survived the gasoline,, The rubber diaphragm is not even the size of a quarter & costs about $35.00.. So, when I parked it, I drained that bowl so it wouldnt be submerged in gasoline,
If your Sporster is running poorly,, you mite have a look at the pump or pumps, if it has both carbs so equipped.
& Yes, the Savage has a good lawnmower motor on it. I had to play with the idle adjustment for about the first 20 minutes of every ride,, raise it up when first started, even on summer days, &, as the engine warmed up, slowly drop the idle, NEVER allowing it to go low.. Under 1,000 RPM & oil wont keep the cam/head journals protected..
I dint love mine "anyway".. I loved it Because its an obsolete design,,
I also have an 87 F 150, 300 CID 6 cylinder, 4 speed on the floor.. If I cant ride a bike, Give me an old pickup w/ a standard transmission..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/23/14 at 17:00:46

If you want faster response....don't use a CV carb.

I am using a Mikuni VM34 Round slide......it works great.  I did not use the Flow Enhancer or the Dial a Jet.  I jetted it using an oxygen sensor and I am very happy with it.

For the sporttsser carb.....if it works well on a 1200cc bike.....wouldn't it be a bit oversized for a 650 which is going to flow half as much air?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 02/25/14 at 07:58:20

Savage airbox is a bit larger volume than an XL air filter housing. Intake tract volumes are roughly the same.

Mikuni BS40 as used on the Savage was an XL upgrade carburetor. With 155/50 jetting, it flows enough fuel to keep a 74 inch (1200cc) running just fine...

CV vacuum slide carburetors, regardless of manufacturer, size, and with or without a pump, are garbage. If you are at all familiar with turbo lag, same concept. The engine is crying out for more, and the initial shot can't keep up with demand. You want either a cable slide carburetor, or a proper butterfly valve carburetor (Bendix or Weber  type) off a Big Twin.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/25/14 at 16:26:14

thanks for the feed back. I figured a sportster carb was not the way to go since any harley owner i ever knew who upgraded, went to a mikuni 90% of the time. We even used mikuni on bsa and triumph...but anything was better than an amal carb. By the way has anyone ever tried an amal on a savage??

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 02/25/14 at 16:41:28

victorbsa wrote on 02/25/14 at 16:26:14:
but anything was better than an amal carb. By the way has anyone ever tried an amal on a savage??

Nobody with any brains! Shocked

Back in the 70's I remember one of the motorcycle magazines comparing the Amal carb....to a brick.

« Last Edit: 02/26/14 at 06:11:42 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 02/27/14 at 02:02:26

Many of us have used Amal Mark II's (36 & 38mm) right out of the box, with excellent results.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:27:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sporster cv pumper carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.