Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
80 mph in 3rd gear on a S-40 ? (Read 408 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
80 mph in 3rd gear on a S-40 ?
02/20/14 at 16:35:44

I just finished up the pulley conversion on my S-40 and went for a ride !

I put the Kawasaki 454 front and Kawasaki 750 belt pulley on the rear.

No time for pictures yet , I got back after dark.

So I had the factory speedometer and a GPS (Garmin) to go by.

After ridding around a bit I pulled into a main hwy and opened it up in third ... The GPS was on 80 before I shifted to 4th , it was still pulling but had a lot more RPM's than I like.  Roll Eyes

The percentage conversion between GPS and Speedometer  is  50mph on speedometer and 62mph on the GPS ... 24% overdrive.    
So I headed for the big hill going toward the next town over.   I used to have a S-10 chevy pickup with the 2.5L engine and it would top the hill at 45mph no matter how fast I hit the bottom of it.  
Well the S-40 stock engine with 150 main jet and the 24% overdrive still gains speed going up the same said hill.   I just maintained my 62mph but had plenty of power left over.

I'm looking forward to an interestate ride next time.  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: 80 mph in 3rd gear on a S-40 ?
Reply #1 - 02/20/14 at 17:00:19

I'm curious to hear how 4th & 5th gears work.  Please let us know, thanks for posting.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/20/14 at 18:13:58

I finished up my pulley conversion just before winter set in, and I only went for a 10 miles ride with it before the bike came apart to be painted.  I was turning 3,300 rpm at 60 mph in 5th gear.  It will be great for cruising.  I am expecting the top mph gear to now be 4th, and the cruising around on the highway gear to be 5th.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 02/20/14 at 19:26:16

Very interesting, sounds like a worthwhile mod, keep reporting. Stock bike is about 4000 rpm at 100 kmph or about 62 mph. Let us know how you get on passing rigs and things

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/21/14 at 09:43:31

Let me start by saying that MMRanch gets the credit for teaching me about the use of the Kawasaki Pulleys.......I just got to my camera faster!

Here are a few photos to show what goes on.

The stock LS650 pulley is 23 tooth (black in photo), the Kawasaki EN454 pulley is 25 tooth (silver).  As you can see in the photo, the silver pulley has extra material at the center on both sides, and this has to be machined off in order for the Kawasaki pulley to work on the Savage.  I had a machine shop use a carbide cutter in a milling machine, some have used a lathe.....this stuff is really hard and is tough to cut.

Additionally there are some space issues on the engine block that have to be addressed.  One of the mounting tabs for the pulley cover has to be trimmed.

And a hex head bolt has to be removed and replaced with a flatter screw head.

And a small amount of material has to be removed from the pulley cover.

I was able to reduce the amount of material that needed to be removed by flattening the tabs on the Kawasaki pulley a bit.  I used a flat punch and a hammer.

This front pulley modification can be used with the stock rear pulley, as long as you don't have a real tall rear tire or an 18" rear wheel conversion.  The change from 23 teeth to 25 teeth is a 8.7% increase, so 60 mph rpms would drop about 320 rpm.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/21/14 at 10:04:23

The rear pulley conversion to the Kawasaki KZ750 cannot be used alone and has to be used with the 25 tooth front pulley.  The belt is too long to long if you only use the rear pulley.

The Kawasaki pulley has the wrong diameter bolt circle, and the center hole is too big to center on the pulley hub.  The stock pulley is 68 tooth, and the Kawasaki pulley is 65 tooth.  This change with the front and rear pulley setup makes a 548 rpm drop from 4,000 to about 3,452 rpm at 60 mph.  On my bike with an 18" rear wheel I am turning 3,300 rpm at 60 mph.

I first made a spacer to slip onto the pulley hub so I could center the pulley to drill the new holes in the pulley that matched the Suzuki spacing. This photo shows the spacer before it was pushed down onto the hub.  I then used a Hole Center punch through the wheel pulley hub to mark the location of the holes I needed to drill.

Then I had to cut off 0.107" of the face to allow the front pulley and rear pulley to align correctly.  This measurement could vary with however your front pulley is machined, and is best measured by mounting the rear pulley and putting a straight edge along the outiside edge of the pulley.

Before you mount the pulley on the bike, the rear shock bolt needs to be trimmed to clear the pulley.  I trimmed some of the hex off and left enough to grab with a wrench.

This is what what it looks like mounted.  The axle is set waaay back in the adjustment travel.  I had to use a couple of washers under the pulley nuts, as the threads did not go deep enough for the nuts to go down and tighten the pulley to the hub.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/21/14 at 10:16:22

Is the chain coversion easier?

Yes....on a stock bike it is.  But a lot of us like the belt as it is clean and needs little care.

On a RYCA or Cafe Conversion or a stock bike with longer shocks .....it is not easier.  The chain uses smaller diameter sprocket, and with the longer shocks the chain hits the swing arm.  If you have rear set peg mounts.....the peg mounts have to be clearanced to allow the use of a chain.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/21/14 at 10:24:10

Nice job clearancing & adjusting stuff to fit.. YOu can go into a detailed report on the lathe,, & any other stylin stuff ya have that would make me jealous..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/21/14 at 10:51:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/21/14 at 10:24:10:
Nice job clearancing & adjusting stuff to fit.. YOu can go into a detailed report on the lathe,, & any other stylin stuff ya have that would make me jealous..

Oooh, I love my lathe, and my bandsaw.....and tools!  I don't hunt or fish, or go to any organized sporting events.  I hide out in my garage and make stuff!  Grin

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 02/22/14 at 05:37:45

Great walkthrough Dave, thanks to MM for getting him rolling  =D

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/22/14 at 10:22:51

MMMMM,, Bandsaw,, ( Homers voice, dreaming of a donut) & a drill press!
Ive used a drill press as a lathe of sorts, stacking washers on a bolt & spinning them up & working a grinder on them to bring the OD down to fit right under the clutch springs. And, somewhere theres a series of pics in photobucket of a repair job on a Honda Civic air register, where I used it like a mill to make a coupla parts out of a gray mop bucket, Im waiting on a trip to OKlahoma,, theres an early 70's, hardly used Sears drill press up there a buddy is gonna let me have for cheap.. I expect it comes with a travelling vise ( XY axis) & a solid vise,, Im no great machinist, but if I had  a lathe I think I could use it, occasionally.
You use the replaceable tools or sharpen the carbide tips? That takes some learing, getting the edges shaped right, proper relief.. kinda like free hand sharpening drill bits, which I can do.. THATS something I got from working in a machine shop, very good to know.. but dang those 14" & smaller bits,, theyre heck to sharpen,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/23/14 at 17:29:20

Well, if ya'll know me yet, the idea of stacking up two washers to take up the extra room on the bolts was not making me feel really good about the project......and the original holes in the pulley hub didn't look all that great either.

So with an opportunity to use my drill press and lathe.......I got busy yesterday and made an aluminum piece to replace the washers and cover up the extra holes. Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 02/23/14 at 21:00:01

Dave

That plate to cover the holes is Great !

You sure do a good job with the pictures ...

I just kinda stuck mine on , compaired to the way you fixed yours.  

I used a 4" angle grinder against the front pulley spinning in the lath and only cut-down one side of it (Kawasaki rear side).   Then put it on with cut side out , and used thread lock on the nut instead of a keeper.
The rear didn't get off-set any and the bolt-head that was in the way got replaced with a flat head 1/2" bolt with an allen head.
Its working fine but doin't look anywhere near as good as your setup.

I did have to do some "Warpping" on the chain guard to keep it from rubbing (side-by-side comparison would show the difference) ... the belt runs about 1/8" to the outside compaired to factory .   I though the Kawasaki rear was 64 teeth ?

Good job with the thread !   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 02/23/14 at 21:09:20

Great work.  I admire your abilities to do quality custom work.

I'd like to do something similar to my KLR because they make replacement front sprockets.  If I add 1 tooth to the front sprocket would that be the equivalent to decreasing the cruising speed by 400 rpm?  Thanks.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 02/24/14 at 00:11:29

This serious stuff and is probably more important than a lot of the tuning and exhaust stuff spoken about on this forum. Sadly I don't have the gear or skills to do it. I wish someone would tell Suzuki about it, but sadly they probably wouldn't believe or care about you.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:28:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 80 mph in 3rd gear on a S-40 ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.