Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
80 mph in 3rd gear on a S-40 ? (Read 408 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 80 mph in 3rd gear on a S-40 ?
Reply #15 - 02/24/14 at 20:49:32

Pgambr

I'd like to do something similar to my KLR because they make replacement front sprockets.  If I add 1 tooth to the front sprocket would that be the equivalent to decreasing the cruising speed by 400 rpm?  Thanks.

Add all you can to the front , you never ride off road anyway do ya ?  Wink

(new front sprocket/rear sprocket ) divided by (old Front sprocket / rear sprocket) = percent of  RPM left at a givin speed.   Percent is the key work here.   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #16 - 02/25/14 at 11:21:53

Thanks MM, I ordered the biggest one available.  I should be able to do 70 at 4200 rpm.  Not bad Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #17 - 02/26/14 at 13:19:27

I do 55 miles of daily communting on the freeway, is doing just the front pulley mod a good fit for that? What about fuel economy with the new pulley? (such as it is with a 2.9 gallon tank.)

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 02/27/14 at 05:29:41

Dane Allen wrote on 02/26/14 at 13:19:27:
I do 55 miles of daily communting on the freeway, is doing just the front pulley mod a good fit for that? What about fuel economy with the new pulley? (such as it is with a 2.9 gallon tank.)

Doing the front pulley alone is a start.....is drops the rpm about 320.  It does move the rear axle forward and if you have an oversize rear tire it might hit the swing arm.  If you can move the rear axle all the way forward and still have clearance at the front of the tire - you will be fine.  MMRanch can comment about how big of rear tire you can use with the front pulley conversion.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 02/28/14 at 22:20:44

MMRanch can comment about how big of rear tire you can use with the front pulley conversion

I have  a 140/90-15 comander II along with the front pulley and ended-up with about 10% speedometer error  in the right direction !  Smiley

Now I also added the rear pulley and the speedometer error has gone to 20% ... 51 mph on factory speedometer = 60 mph on the Garmin GPS speed indicator.   I stay in 4th gear till I get in a 55mph zone now , It sure is sweet having 60 mph where 50 used to  be .    There is no shortage of power to climb hills with either but passing works better with a downshift to 4th. (but 4th is higher than  5th used to be, so its OK ! )

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 03/01/14 at 09:02:56

Just putting the taller rear tire on saves a few RPM.. but if your riding the slab more than not AND you wont cry about increasing the 0-60 time some, then do both pulleys. Thats IF you can do the math. IF the goal is to save $$$ on gas, then do the math. How much gas will you save in a year? How many years do you think youll have the bike? How much will doin the mod cost? Is gas the only consideration? Will the bike be "happier" ? Will the feedback it gives be more comfortable for you? Cant put a dollar figure on Buzzing in the pegs,, you have to decide the value of the projected difference youll feel.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 03/01/14 at 09:34:00

I'd really like a taller top gear,.. but, when I tried the Kawa front pulley, I found that I didn't like the bottom 4 gear spacing as well... (I do a lot of city, and mountain twisty riding, and I like having 3 gear options for most any speed,.. the taller set limited gear choice)...
Good for highway... not for twisties...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #22 - 03/11/14 at 18:34:42

On my KLR I added one tooth to the front sprocket and it dropped the rpm by 400 in 5th gear.  I may add one more; although it was a pretty significant difference.  5th will now do 70 at 4,600 rpm and it will probably top off at 95 + mph.  I don't have any desire to go that fast, but it is nice to know you have it.  

Smiley

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:29:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 80 mph in 3rd gear on a S-40 ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.