Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Died in the rain... (Read 71 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Died in the rain...
02/19/14 at 17:36:10

Ok on my way to work, all running well, I hit empty, switched to reserve on my raptor petcock massive backfires and sputter, then it runs fine until I get to a gas station.Stopped at flying j gas station filled up with premium.

Left station in massive down pour, 4 miles later bike sputters several times and dies, several attempts to start, several sputters and dies, killed battery to point it won't turn over...

Get bike home, charged battery, starts right up idles fine, when throttled there is backfires and sputter, then returns to idle...idles fine.

Added stabul, idle fine, throttle and runs fine.

Took water hose to it while idling, sprayed kick stand switch, spark, coil, battery, decomp...while doing this it would idle slightly higher at times, but it ran just fine.

Questions being, what's the most likely culprit... Water in fuel or electrical component. Ideas?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Died in the rain...
Reply #1 - 02/19/14 at 18:38:04

Premium sits & sits in the tank. Its a lawnmower engine, it runs on regular. First thing Id do is dump the gas & drain the carb bowl & put some regular in it, if theres a truck dumpin gas in, go on down the road,
Once ya prove its Not gas, then you can go lookin, till then, youre spending time, pulling hair, maybe over a lousy tank of gas,, start in the easiest place.. the gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/14 at 20:36:20

My wild guess is that due to high humidity you lost spark. Check spark plug cables.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 02/19/14 at 20:44:59

Sounds to me like water in the fuel sitting low in the tank, and it got in the bowl.  Drain the bowl, and put in some fuel conditioner (Stabil Marine or SeaFoam) to run out the rest.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 02/19/14 at 23:49:37

Never waste money on premium for a Savage. The thing will run just fine on as low as 85 octane, been there, burned that. It has what, 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression, maybe?

Mine did that same thing for two years before the insides of the decompression solenoid relay (the black widget over the carburetor) turned into a baby rattle. Full of green sand. Because the factory would rather charge you $85 or more for a new $5 relay than spend 2 cents on silicone to seal the thing up.

You still have functional safety interlock switches? Mine lasted all of 2 months before the salt air on the Gulf Coast ruined them. And ate the fender rails from the inside out... sent them to a now deceased former member here who lived in the desert, he managed to save them.

And if you have the 2 piece seat, in a down pour, the air box can fill up with water. Take the air box side door off, stuff your regulator/rectifier in the air box intake snorkel, it slows down the water ingress.

I've had my Savage for 16 years this month (bought new 2/2/98 in Biloxi MS). I've found pretty much every short cut the factory took slapping mine together, and that is when they were still 100% Japanese sourced parts...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/20/14 at 08:06:40

Its and 86, all stock except for the cam chain tensioner and the petcock. How Should I go about testing or disabling then interlocks or water proofing the electronics? I do have a two piece seat. Can the air box realy fill up in the rain? That seems like really bad planning...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/20/14 at 09:25:48

If the airbox is the same design, & Im sure it is, then I can see how water could get in w/ the 2 piece seat design.Simple answer is, Check the filter, like WD said,, So far, I havent seen him wr, wr, wr,, incorrect..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:28:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Died in the rain...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.