Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly (Read 1788 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
Reply #90 - 04/03/14 at 12:52:02

and the free wifi at the library don't work

so couldn't get the chromebook set up, so much for that option

« Last Edit: 04/03/14 at 14:04:03 by Art Webb »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #91 - 04/03/14 at 15:37:25

And Wally gets another Chromebook back because of user mis-expectations.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #92 - 04/03/14 at 16:39:35

I expected the thing to work
I had wifi and it wouldn't recognise the connection, what was I supposed to do?
it is suppossed to be able to run off ethernet, but you have to have wifi to set it up
I went to where there was wifi and it still claimed there was no connection (after initialy connecting) if it won't work, it won't work, period
the fault here is not mine imo

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #93 - 04/03/14 at 18:54:13

Does it have a Cat5 cable connection?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #94 - 04/03/14 at 19:02:38

it had a usb connection, but it didn't matter, I called Acer when I was having problems and the tech there told me it could only be set up using wifi, no other connection would be recognized until initial setup was done, and initial setup could be done on wifi only
I didn't just look at it and throw up my hands, I called the folks who make it
I don't btw, know what a cat5 connection is

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #95 - 04/03/14 at 19:31:29

Cat5 is the standard LAN jack connection and cable structure that is used on all routers.  And almost all laptops and desktops.   And you are right, the unit you bought doesn't have one at all, it was apparently intended from the beginning to be supported through Wifi only.

For example, the Asus Chromebox does have a Cat5 LAN cable connection.

So the moral of the story for folks planning on going Chromebook/Chromebox is to check on the method you plan to use to hook it up to your home LAN network.

Now, me, would I have assumed that any laptop had a Cat5 LAN cable connection?    Yep, I surely would have.   And I would have done the ASSuME trick to myself just like you did.  

Walmart will get quite a few of those units back because folks didn't get what they reasonably assumed they were going to get when they opened up the box.

Art, how did you wind up with a no Wifi hard switch router for your home network hub?   You have a router, but no Wifi, right?

The reason your library's router's Wifi won't work is that it is a locked down commercial unit that will not allow itself to be identified as your "home base".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #96 - 04/03/14 at 19:53:29

I don't have a router, i have a cable modem, Roadrunner high speed internet through time warner cable
the modem will accept ethernet (looks like a phone jack to me) or USB
the existing connection is ethernet because that's what my tower uses, it is OLD
The Chromebook has a USB2.0 (I think) port for ethernet, but according to Acer the program required that the initial setup be done on wi fi, I have no idea why, seems to me if it has a physical connection it shouldn't have been a prob to program it to allow setup via ethernet

re the libraries wi fi, it did allow connecton, but soon after the connection was lost, I would guess for the reason you gave
still tempted to do the s3 phone an only have mobilewebb, but even a 5 inch screen is pretty small for reading / posting on forums, and also my current smartphone (LG Optimus dynamic) seems to have a slight issue with savage forums
the header, where it lets you click on forum, search, store, CPanel, etc, floats around on the page

this is my phone(cost me a lot more than that though)http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-L38G-LG-Optimus-Dynamic/22217225

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #97 - 04/04/14 at 07:19:28

So, if you liked the idea of your Chromebook, all you need to do is buy a $50 wifi router from Walmart and use your Roadrunner connection to go into the input connection of the router.

I have the same Roadrunner service, and I bought a Belkin N300 router on sale from Wally a while back and I have Wifi and four cable out connections off the Belkin N300 router that I actually found a use for three out of the four Cat5 connections.   My wife loves her various computer junk stuff, she does.

If you had a Wifi Router, you could use your wifi based Chromebook anywhere in the house.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #98 - 04/04/14 at 11:14:30

that is true, but an extra $50 was not in the budget on top of 200 dollars for the chromebook, and I've had bad experiences with wi fi before, even with a password

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #99 - 04/06/14 at 06:22:57

http://liliputing.com/2014/04/asus-c200-chromebook-makes-surprise-appearance....

$179 Asus C200 Chromebook makes a surprise appearance

Asus is doing it again, this time in Chromebook format.   This is the same machine as the S200 Windows device that should be running "free" Windows 8.1 should such a thing ever really appear.  

Look to see a pre-order $179 Chromebook with the same basic specs as the Asus Chromebox to hit Amazon, NewEgg and the others soon.

What is notable here is that the track pad on the notebook is VERY LARGE as touch and gesture control can be done more easily that way.  

You can reach the trackpad very easily and do all the gesture type controls on the pad instead of reaching across your desk to get to the screen itself.

Asus is showing a Chrome future that is making more sense than previous tries by other manufacturers.   Asus also understands power, and puts enough grunt into their units.   They also are the first ones to really get the PRICE portion of things right.

Completely customized for Chrome at a $179 price point.

===================

So far the only things folks really want added to the Asus Chromebox is a hybernate/sleep button (or keystroke combination for a standard keyboard).  

They don't like signing in all the time unnecessarily, they would prefer to hybernate/sleep the machine instead and come back to the same session with a button push like a Chromebook does.

When Asus has the exact same unit out in "free" Windows and Chrome OS folks will get to compare/contrast the two systems head to head on the same platform.   This will be interesting to watch unfold.

One dares to say that Microsoft isn't really pleased with Asus at the moment since the "free Windows thing" was supposed to preclude the existence of a Chromebook by that vendor.   However, this would be Microsoft "taking actions in restraint of trade" and MS does not need that on their plate at the moment since they are currently not well loved by computerdom at the moment for their killing off XP and putting a robber's knife to the throats of all the XP people by not having any XP upgrade pricing.

Besides, MS's whole premise was that Win 8.1 would kick Chrome's butt because it is so much better, right ???  

Time to see.
  Will be fun to see what the S200 (Windows) costs at retail vs the C200 (Chrome) version.

« Last Edit: 04/06/14 at 09:31:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #100 - 04/06/14 at 06:55:04

In case you haven't looked lately, the world is RAPIDLY becoming Wifi and Bluetooth connected.   Cables of any sort are getting downright passe` lately.

Your printers all have Wifi networking built into them now.   They will network and print off your tablet and your phone just as easily as your old Wifi laptop.

The Wireless N standard has evolved up into N300-N600 levels which is 100 times faster than Time Warner will actually supply the data to you through cable.   You don't even notice a delay when printing something wirelessly any more.

Times, they are a changin' ....

« Last Edit: 04/06/14 at 09:32:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #101 - 04/06/14 at 07:33:19

Having had the Chrome vs Windows 8.1 thought, I went looking.   Turns out Toshiba has same same 13" units and someone has already done the comparison on the $300-400 Toshiba matching units.

It's elephants vs donkeys again -- this time with a young lady discovering what she really uses a laptop for.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5505468/toshiba-chromebook-satelite-nb15t-r...

Google vs. Microsoft: a cheap laptop showdown

The short of it was that Chrome won -- for what the lady or her mother actually did with the machines they liked the Chromebook better.

=======================

Adding insult to injury, Chrome 32 is available to load on any Windows laptop or desktop now days, it starts like any program, executes, and vola !!! you are actually running Chrome OS now and you Windows is being hibernated for a while.

Seeing your hardware run quick and clean and getting ALL the ChromeOS advantages makes you able to try Chrome out on your own on your very own machine.

And a gentle point is made by the folks putting it out -- if your Windows machine gets sick on you as long as your Windows will boot at all you can still get to Chrome OS and keep on trucking.

And that brings up another pathway for the soon to die XP people --- go Chrome 32 instead of Mint Linux.

Once you are in Chrome 32 you are wearing the big red suit temporarily ....  but if you step in something out on the net and it goes BANG you can sorta expect it to find your Windows laying there hibernated up underneath your Chrome 32 and to go munching on its familiar MS food source.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/chrome-32-takes-windows-81-way-beyond-any...

"If you use Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and are a Google fanatic, you're going to love the latest version of Chrome. It's a standard browser for the desktop; it's a browser app for the Start Screen; it's the Chrome OS; it's an oddity and much more, all in a neat little package. You really have to see it to believe it. I'll describe how to download, install, and use Google Chrome 32 in Windows 8.1.

Get Chrome 32
You don't have to go to the Windows Store to get the new Chrome. To get started, launch your current browser and go to the Google Chrome page. On the Chrome site, click the Download Chrome button (Figure A)."

Wow, Google has just made it possible for you to temporarily leave MS because you are pissed off at them, without really leaving at all.

Plus they have just given XP people a way to get on the web that is much more secure than Windows.

Is this the easy upgrade path to XP that everybody has been looking for?

If it isn't already, I suspect some smart programmer person is going to figure out how to do it and post a bootloader mod for Chrome 32 so you can pick it at boot time just like a Linux distro.

Now, wouldn't that stick a finger in MS's eye right smartly?   They were planning to rob the XP people for some money and now the XP folks all go Google Chrome on them instead?

And if what the young lady says is true, a lot of disgruntled Win 8.0 and 8.1 folks might just jump ship as well.   The psychology is right, people wanted Windows because they were afraid of change, but now Chrome 32 is here and it works better, so they can have both things with no conflict.

What MS is going to hate is folks are going to learn that Chrome OS really is better, and you can get to it painlessly.

People will soon get past the extensive FUD campaign that MS put out with the pawnshop actors and all -- people can try it out themselves now and judge for themselves.

Justin, you got your ears on?   You can do this.   Art can do this.   You can do this right now and try it out for a while and see if you like it.

..... and you can jest chuckle a bit while you do it, because it is obvious you are jest putting some lit bamboo slivers up under MS fingernails when you go to doing it --- you can jest feel them squealing up underneath it all in an impotent fury when you leave their MS Explorer control.  

Hee hee, and all them warnings and notices when you come back to Windows pointedly tell you that you are now returning to being under MS Explorer's control.  They hates it bad, they do.

« Last Edit: 04/06/14 at 09:36:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #102 - 04/06/14 at 08:23:26

I have a couple of OLD pc's that are probably running xp or vista, I will jump on google and see if chrome can be downloaded to it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #103 - 04/06/14 at 08:45:42

If you could figure out the parameters to pass, and Chrome doesn't need any of the underlying Windows, I bet GRUB could do it. If so, it won't be long.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #104 - 04/06/14 at 08:52:35

Yup, it is all open source code and someone will have it sussed out before the week is out, I suspect.

Google didn't do it because they are Switzerland, above the fray and everything.   Impressively nobly impartial and all.

Still, you gotta admit -- there is a whole lot of Chromebook/Chromebox/Chrome32 buzz going on right now and folks are going to want to try it themselves just to see how big their elephant really is in their day to day life and just how handy their ass can be and what all it can really carry.

Something MS did that will be to their detriment was they put Office On-line out there on the web for free -- bet they chop that off right quick when folks running on Chrome32 begin accessing it instead of buying Office 360.

Wink    

Neat thing is your old XP hardware is WAY WAY WAY more powerful than what is required to run Chrome OS -- it should run like a scalded dawg on your old XP box or laptop.

This may indeed be the path for the XP folks to try out.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:49:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.