Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly (Read 1788 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
02/19/14 at 09:57:56

Last month I was nattering on about ARM needing a hardware standard such that a general purpose broad range ARM FOSS operating system or two could be written.

Asus then came out with a $179 Chromebox that could run Ubuntu as well as Chrome OS and I thought "Well, Chrome has a hardware standard built into it that is actually enforced by Google, and it is the ONLY hardware standard/interface standard that currently exists in the ARM world".

Since then Microsoft's new exec has had his worker bees sniffing around FOSS for code sources and media pundits are talking about MS trying to fork Android into their own personal flavor called "Windroid" by the press guys.

I wrote a prediction that the $179 Asus Chromebox signals that a tipping point is coming, when HP starts shipping Chromeboxes it signals the tip is happening and when the Chinese Cheapie guys start shipping Chrome boxes it signals full acceptance has occurred.

.... AND THAT MS WAS IN REAL TROUBLE and had best be about DOING something about it before it was too late.

Well, step #2 is here ....

http://www.zdnet.com/hp-to-join-chromebox-fray-with-mini-pc-available-in-four...

If you count on your fingers the number of NEW ChromeOS laptops and ChromeOS boxes that have come out in the last 2 months, you will run out of fingers .....  soon you will run out of toes too.

Standard Hardware Based Foss PC type boxes for less than $200 are here, now.  

Look for the larger Linux distros like Ubuntu and such to start offering support for these Google boxes, in essence providing a second set of general purpose FOSS ARM OS support for those not happy with Google's net-based system.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
Reply #1 - 02/19/14 at 10:12:20

ching... ching... ching... don't worry MS... this cash register doesn't toll for you.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/19/14 at 12:57:01

Awwrite,, w/o me havin to read a buncha gobbledygook Im not gonna understand.,, is this a replacement for the tower I have thats not running wurfahoot?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/19/14 at 13:35:03

And it should be noted that it's the design for the new Sochi train station.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 02/19/14 at 14:28:57

HAhahahahahaha Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 02/19/14 at 14:52:57

For Justin a chrome box would be a pretty good fit is all he really does is go online and he doesn't do a lot of office clerical work or spreadsheet work.

He would appreciate the fact it was constantly kept up to date and didn't have viruses and didn't require an antivirus or defagmenting.

What would screw him up is a large degree of "different" as it is a new browser, new office programs, etc.

Justin would be happier with Linux Mint and an old Dell refurbished trade in.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/19/14 at 15:31:40

pssst... don't mention the nsa and Chinese back doors built into the os of the chromebook.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 02/19/14 at 16:12:21

If you were judging operating systems for being flawed, security wise, Win 8 would be much worse.

NSA could trap the signal in any internet node in the US and catch signal on Chrome that way.   I'd like to think Google could keep them out of their servers.    Maybe not.

Ubuntu or Mint would be better for a real security paranoid person.   There are versions of Ubuntu that are encripted.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/19/14 at 18:31:06

Well,, IM gettin ready to take a step. so, if one of you smart guys would pop a link to The Critter you suggest,, Ill pass it along to the wife.. being done with Bills software would suit me just fine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 02/19/14 at 19:45:23

If you want a recommendation to Linux Mint, wait 2 months until the next long term support version comes out.    This version will stay fresh and good for 5 long years, enough time for you to become totally accustomed to it.

Justin, in the town you live in you need to find a local Linux Support Group.   You can find them through the public library or a local university or a local computer store.   You will have to make the effort to find them and to meet with them.

You my friend lack some of the skills you will need to deal with a change in OS.   All newbies at the beginning needed some form of support (me too).

Linux Mint makes it as easy as can be to change over, but it isn't flawlessly easy -- having somebody LOCAL who has done it before who can get you over the speedbumps is a good thing to have.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/19/14 at 20:48:42

ChromeOS devices have not much local storage, they assume that all your data is in google services. And personally I don't like it. If those devices can be modded to add storage and if they would allow installation of linux - probably I'll try them.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 02/20/14 at 06:28:57

The current crop of Chrome devices DO allow you to run Google services local on your machine with no internet connection (so you can do word processing and spreadsheet and whatever when you are off line or on a train, plane, etc).  

The current crop of Chrome devices allow you to access 16-64 gig of internal FAST flash systems memory and as much of a fast USB 3.0 hard drive as you care to plug in.  

They all have large capacity SIMM slots too.   These can go up to 128 gigabytes right now.   So Really Now, memory or on-line/off-line is not an issue with the current Chrome devices.  

That ain't what is stopping you.   You are like all of us, comfortable with what you already know how to use and you are quite reluctant to change it .....

BTW, a terabyte USB 3.0 portable drive by Western Digital costs $69 on sale at Costco right now.    I just bought one to plug into my Simple.TV DVR device.   It is the biggest drive I have ever bought, by a factor of 3 at least and it sits (1/4" thick) flat in the palm of just one hand.

Chrome boxes, since they are hooked up to AC power all the time, can afford the power to run a USB hard drive and also have a larger "power wasting" Intel processor like an I-5 or an I-7 if you really really think you still need it.    

Chrome was designed for battery powered devices, so it is inherently power friendly,  even in the Chromebox which doesn't have to be so power contained.    Chrome boxes and Chrome books are very very light and VERY quick when you actually go to use one.

And you don't need a big huge Intel processor either.  Actually, Chrome OS runs just fine on any current crop quad to octa core ARM processor, but we Americans, we do just love all that raw speed and power whenever we can find it, now don't we?

================

I think the point here is that you can buy a "hardware standard honoring" Chromebox for cheap and then you can put an Ubuntu derivative on it later on if you find you don't like the Chrome experience.   Or you could go Android.   Or pay to go Windroid (when it gets here).

Me, for example, I like to use Linux Mint Mate edition because it is almost exactly like XP in how it works.

(very intentional, that, I am sure).

What all this does is to put TREMENDOUS PRESSURE on MS to pull their pride out of their butts and go ahead and write an ARM OS.  

They can see that all of these FAR less expensive alternatives are popping up now, removing their potential market share by entire percentage points every few weeks.

And their old partners (Intel, ASUS, Lenovo, HP) ARE NOT GOING TO WAIT FOR THEM ANY LONGER -- Intel is supporting ARM calls natively in their newest designed generation of Cherry Trail chipsets and the actual ARM chipsets have become much much more powerful recently.  

Over half of these Chromebooks and Chromeboxes are running off Intel's current crop of processors (and they will likely continue to do so as long as Intel continues doing their loss leader pricing).

ARM processors cost less (a lot less) even when Intel is trying to price support their stuff with 15-20% loss leader pricing.    As soon as ARM accepts they need to enforce a hardware interface standard in all their designs, then the more powerful of the ARM chipsets will swing firmly into the forefront due to their lower cost.

Once somebody shuts off that Intel loss leader pricing with a lawsuit or two, Intel will be left with just the legacy "power loving" markets in America and Europe.

Intel vs ARM,   Google vs Microsoft   ---  these competitive pair-offs have cause some rapid progress to be made recently.   Problem is that Microsoft is moving soooooooooooo slowly they make even Intel look fleet of foot.

Intel sees their market going away as they watch and is actually FIGHTING to save what they can.   Intel is on the field, trying to move the ball.  

Microsoft is still sitting in the snow out past the sidelines, trying desperately to get their bearings and to get up after stitching on a brand new head.    
It is very shocking to the invalid MS when you can buy an entire ASUS Chromebox brand new for the exact same money as what the retail license for Windows 8.1.1 Pro currently goes for.    Very shocking indeed.

Cheesy

Apple is reaping the benefits of Microsoft's inability to move and to innovate, Apple is certainly picking up the bulk of Microsoft's lost upper end sales here in America.

Prediction:   Microsoft stays stuck on their dime long enough for Apple sales to exceed Microsoft PC sales -- this to take place any time now.

« Last Edit: 02/20/14 at 10:20:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 02/20/14 at 08:32:55

Hello,, Im justin, & my windows software is outta control.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 02/21/14 at 16:30:05

Prediction:   Microsoft stays stuck on their dime long enough for Apple sales to exceed Microsoft PC sales -- this to take place any time now.

And, as the world turns, it comes to pass ....

Apple's iPhone Is Now Worth More Than All Of Microsoft

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/08/19/apples-iphone-is-now-worth...

"One Apple product, something that didn’t exist five years ago, has higher sales than everything Microsoft has to offer. More than Windows, Office, Xbox, Bing, Windows Phone, and every other product that Microsoft has created since 1975. In the quarter ended March 31, 2012, iPhone had sales of $22.7 billion; Microsoft Corporation, $17.4 billion."

The post-PC era takes shape: Apple devices outsold Windows in Q4

http://bgr.com/2014/02/14/iphone-ipad-mac/

Read it, both articles certainly indicates that Apple has continued to spike and Microsoft has continued to tank and the colored lines have indeed crossed in Q1 2014 (or may have actually done so around Christmas last year).

Microsoft is no longer #1 in new product sales.

Microsoft is no longer even #2 in new product sales.

Microsoft is now #3 overall and is still sinking.

There are other numbers out there such as "installed base" in which Microsoft does somewhat better.   Consideration of such "installed base" numbers is why MS did not kill XP on the date that was originally planned.  

It would have killed off 1/3 of their installed base number and since it is the only glory MS has left they just couldn't do it.

Cheesy

Now, who beats Apple worldwide carrying 81.2% of the current sales in the cell phone world and 60%+ of the current sales of tablets?

Did you really need to ask ??  

Android is the largest OS in the word with huge growing lead.

Wink

Look at the red pie slice -- remember, that little red slice is worth more than Microsoft's current entire everything .....

« Last Edit: 02/22/14 at 09:11:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 02/21/14 at 20:20:29

Who else is getting re-ranked in America vs the I-Phone by itself?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-25/listen-up-apple-haters-iphone...

Android is tough to characterize in this sort of list since it is hundreds of companies in lots of countries with Google waving the FOSS leadership baton but making its real money by selling ads and various other sorts of odds and ends.  

Plus they give both of their OS products away for free ....  so they don't really turn much of a profit off of it, now do they?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:46:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.