Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly (Read 1788 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
Reply #75 - 04/01/14 at 17:40:11

ok so no tethering, dangit
that leaves a chromebook, linux, or a tablet with wifi
I think a lot of tablets will only run one tab at a time?
if so that would be a problem, I keep multiple tabs open quite frequently, thou I'm pretty sure my phone does more than 1 tab at a time if needed

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #76 - 04/01/14 at 18:40:04

Quote:
that leaves a chromebook, linux, or a tablet with wifi

There is another alternative - You can still buy a new laptop with Win7 on it for $300 - $400. Of course a few years from now you'll find yourself in the same pickle. Win 7 isn't exactly like XP but it's close enough to not be that much of an adjustment. Wife's laptop has 7 on it and she switched from XP without any trouble.

May not be a great investment long term though. I don't know how long 7 will be around.

Wouldn't be my choice. Linux Mint is going to do me just fine I think, and I like not having to buy another computer as long as the hardware is chugging along. And it's hard to beat the price.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #77 - 04/01/14 at 19:21:58

that's true, I could be an MS slave and get win 7, but why? I've been using an andriod to do mobilewebb, and Chrome browser to browse, I should be able to adapt to chrom OS or Linnux fairly well, though it might take some time

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
deciding on what to do
Reply #78 - 04/01/14 at 21:56:41

Have you ordered your Mint DVD yet?

If so, you have a pathway that will give you several years to make up your mind about all these other options, plus the new options that will come available during that time.

Your hardware is still fine, nothing is wrong with it.  

Your old XP operating system got slowed down by all the stuff MS added to it over the years, and with the basic structure of the hard drive stacking everything up to the front and having the file allocation table mess up and the Software Registry that kept getting crowded and screwed up as you installed and removed software -- the entire MS system literally worked itself into a state of decay over 3-4 years.  And that required having MS come along with a service pack 1-2-3 simply to clean out the pipes and keep it going.

Linux and Android don't require these things (they lack these built in flaws).   You don't require defragmenting your hard drive because Linux evenly spreads their tiny files over the entire allocated drive space so there is LOTS OF ROOM between each file -- so they can grow and change right were they sat originally, lots of room to do so.

The Linux Kernel is a monoblock of thoroughly and constantly checked code, refined by hundreds of skilled programmers over the last 30 years.  Attacking the kernel would be very difficult to do, since a worm needs a flaw (inherent or accidental) to catch hold of.  

Ain't many cracks or flaws in the Linux Kernel to take advantage of.

And as we know, MS built hooks into their system for lots of strange reasons, hooks that are now being discovered and exploited by worms and viruses.

If you take the track that MS wants XP to die soon so they can sell you something else, then all they have to do is let a crucial hook or vulnerability become known in the hacker world and they can count on the evil boys to do all the rest for them.   MS can leak the info, then make money selling "corrections" to commercial firms and industry.   Ditto for all those hundreds of anti-virus firms out there, they want you to have a sick machine so they can peddle their snake oil at you.

However, take that same hardware and put Linux Mint on it, and it runs quicker and has no flaws to exploit (the viruses and worms simply can't do anything).

So far the folks putting on the suit haven't had any show stopper issues in doing so.  I think the only real issue found so far is one person wanting to run his fancy monitor up at retina levels, and with the new Mint 17 he should be fine in doing that.

So, you can talk about it all you want, just so you have a DVD winging its way to you through UPS.

And while it is on the way, take a new thumb drive and back up all your pictures from when your kids were growing up, getting married, etc.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 04/01/14 at 22:15:21

Speaking of things that mangle up a Windows machine (and can affect a dual boot arrangement) is the infamous boot sector (or boot kit)  attack.

Microsoft does not like Linux and they try to kill off a dual boot arrangement "accidentally" every once and a while by installing new software updates that replace the boot loader with a bone stock MS version.

There is a Linux tool for that, it is called the Boot Repair disk.  If you run off CDs, it comes on a CD.   If you run thumb drives, it comes on a thumb drive.  

The key thing is you need to have it already sitting in your software box when the need arises -- so go here, read up, burn you a copy on to your favorite bootable media and set it aside for when you need it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

I have used this disk 3 times in my years of Linux use, once because MS screwed me up on purpose, once because I screwed myself up repairing Windows (ignorance, really) and once because of a boot kit attack virus.

This disk is worth it -- trust me.

As Microsoft gets more and more desperate, you can count on them "helpfully" replacing your boot loader for you at least once or twice to remove that "unauthorized access" to all that "illegal copies of software" that they just detected on your machine.

It is all part of your journey to the point you finally throw MS off your machine as not really doing anything useful for you and for being just a plain bad citizen with all their arrogant behaviors.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #80 - 04/02/14 at 00:08:03

I've not yet ordered it, haven't gotten to a secure PC yet
I'm NOT putting credit card info on the web via my PC, it's simply not secure IMO
though I could do it on my android phone I guess, if I can remember my password to this site so I can get the web adress from this thread lol

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 04/02/14 at 08:24:20

Let's stroke the crystal ball again, since this one has come to pass we need to make a new set of big predictions to look forward to ....

Desktop stuff is now going to start to evaporate and all the Linux distros and other FOSS stuff that want to survive into the future will begin to move themselves towards phones and tablets and Chromebooks and light laptop stuff.  

ARM processors will slowly begin to take over once they hit the true 64 bit levels later this year and the new 64 bit ARM standards will begin to be enforced by the marketplace.

Saying it may happen and saying it is STARTING RIGHT NOW is somewhat different.   2014 is your tip year for these predictions with 2015 making them all solidly real.

When you see Ubuntu (and Mint and the others with it) start to pay LESS and LESS attention to their desktop distros and suddenly begin to consolidate and bend their efforts more towards tablets and phones (with portable after market keyboards w/track pads, mice, etc) all working together through the new high speed longer range Bluetooth connections, then this prediction will have started to come true.

When you see Firefox begin to slight the desktop in favor of tablets and phones, it will be just the beginning of the tip point.

When you see Roku and Chrome dongles set up AS SHIPPED to run a full browser through a full sized Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad/mouse with the same browser based stuff all working on TV, tablet and phone (and Chromebook/box in the case of Google) then the tipping has hit the pivot point.

When you can comfortably game on your 10" tablet and your TV using the same sort of stuff -- then acceptance will have arrived.

Work stuff (word processing & spreadsheet) will come along naturally as you can do these more difficult gaming things on your mobile devices and TV.

Last long big prediction -- Windows 9 will not reverse Microsoft's decline in overall market share.   What Microsoft loses by killing off XP stays gone (and the ill will they generate for themselves on the desktop will remain forever).   Apple will become the main top end player in the USA marketplace.

Normal People will have tasted FOSS now and liked it.   Apples remain crunchy juicy good stuff.    

Microsoft, not so much, that sour greedy aftertaste remains on the tongue long afterwards.  

Note, there will still be a desktop PC pie chart that shows Microsoft as a major player, but if you compared the relative size of the pies that makes up those charts the pie will be down in size relatively from a 9 inch pie to a snack sized tart by the end of 2015.  

Mobile will have grown to be HUMUNGOUSLY bigger and the desktop PC market will have actually shrunk in both real and relative size.

FOSS major OS players will be Google, Firefox, Ubuntu/Mint.   MS will still be in there, ranked no higher than 4th-6th place and still shrinking.   Apple will be a lot bigger than MS.   A not yet seen Chinese OS player will come up in the pack to be in the top 5.

Intel will be still shipping up in the top end 25% of chipsets, but nothing much in the lower half of things.   Nothing much will be x86 natural any more.  ARM/Android will be the hardware standard of the day.

The 20-16nm shift starts before July of this year, but in year 2015 14-10nm will be where Apple is headed with their latest full volume shipping 64 bit ARM chipset.

These two year predictions will tend to happen quicker than you predicted.

Wink

« Last Edit: 04/02/14 at 09:24:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #82 - 04/02/14 at 10:54:14

Quick survey of the software we use (business)
(bysides the standard MegaSh!t Orfice)
results in only 2 packages ready to go to Linux out of 4.
and that would be red hat or suse.

And that doesn't include the really high end stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #83 - 04/02/14 at 18:56:53

Microsoft is attempting to disrupt their disruption by the Chromebook wave.  Figures have just come out that 2.1 million Chromebooks sold last year, with most of them selling in the Christmas quarter.

And the Chromebook/box figures have increased significantly each month since then.

When last faced with this phenomena, Microsoft pulled XP out of retirement and gave it away to netbook makers for free to get them to stop using Linux.   This was a successful ploy by Microsoft, so they are trying it again, this time giving away their current main operating system, yep, Win 8.? the one everybody loves to hate.

Question becomes, is this seen as an inducement by the OEMs or another layer of fiscal punishment similar to the entirety of last year?  

Microsoft is still trying different mixes of fall back on various features trying to find a mix that makes Win 8.? "appealing" again.   So far nothing has clicked.

XP people who are at the verge of getting trashed are sure to really appreciate MS willingness to give away the OS to people buying $79 cheap plastic tablets, while these loyal users who paid thousands for their XP machine will be taking it in the neck starting next week with no upgrade rights to anything.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #84 - 04/02/14 at 20:45:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/02/14 at 18:56:53:
Microsoft is still trying different mixes of fall back on various features trying to find a mix that makes Win 8.? "appealing" again.   So far nothing has clicked.

All they have to do is make win8 w/out MS and everyone will love it.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #85 - 04/02/14 at 23:43:24

I got a chromebook at WM today, the acer of course, tomorrow I'll see about getting it hooked up and try a test drive
I hope I don't have to buy anything else to get it working (dunno what sort of connection my internet uses)
OF is right, I think, I'm the perfect chromebook candidate, as I am leary of trying to do the whole Linnux rout at this time
with the chromebook, if it works, I won't have to
part of the reason for this decision was a friend of mine on another site said Linnux is basically unsupported (he's an IT guy, and no, not for MS) and any time there's a problem you gotta go to a forum to get it fixed
I remember someone on the dual boot thread also mentioning you should be part of a Linnux support group before taking the plunge, so I decided to try the chromebook first

if it works, my XP machine will live just fine with no internet connection for those few offline tasks I use it for (untill I find better ways to handle those at least)
the future might indeed hold wifi and a tablet, too, as I see advantages to that setup, but one thing at a time

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 04/03/14 at 02:57:33

By unsupported, he means you have no paid person taking care of you, that you have to do it (whatever it is) yourself.

Support in Linux comes from on-line community resources, just like what we do for the Savage motorcycle.   And no, Linux is supported fairly well by their communities, it is the same people who write the distros after all.

And yes, you are the perfect candidate for Chrome OS -- so we want to hear from you about how it does for you.

Serowbot would hate chrome because it doesn't do it all where he can get his hands on it to tweek it.   And Serowbot wants it all where he can see it and get to it, no remote processing for him, thank you very much.

Chrome is fully supported (as your IT guy would think about it) -- it is supported by all the Google server farms out there in the world and it actually follows the thought pattern of a thin client machine.  

A good bit of the heavy duty processing power you use for doing difficult things in Chrome OS is provided by the Google Servers.

Same tricks that work for my Galaxy S3 phone -- all the voice recognition typing I do actually takes place in a Google Server, not in my little bitty phone.

Chrome OS is the ultimate no brainer just use it computer -- and a lot of folks are ready for that since dicking around with their PC is a large source of tension in their lives.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #87 - 04/03/14 at 03:28:54

Ran into one problem already the plug to my internet modem isn't right for the darn chromebook
maybe i should just get a galaxy s3 and do all my browling by mobilenet

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 04/03/14 at 09:11:21

Art really is the quintessential Chromebook/box "perfect user".

What is neat about Chrome and Google is that they won't lift your skirts all the time like MS did -- if they do, please tell us what you have to pay extra for.

Art, I think you bought a Wifi only device there with that Acer unit.   I'm not sure it even has a Cat5 connector.

Justin, are you paying attention to this?    

Art is going down the Chrome pathway because he can't deal with all the complex shite that comes with computer ownership in the post-Microsoft era.   He has intentionally picked the least complex pathway, realizing that computing pleasure is stuff that just plain works and computing pain is having to screw with stuff all the time.

Serowbot can still deal with the complexity but he really really resents having to do so.   Seeing MS give Win 8.? away for free to people buying cheap $79 tablets while MS won't give him an upgrade path at all  from XP REALLY irritates him a lot, and eventually he will get around to telling us about it.

I begin to see that way out in the future that a Chromebox might begin to look good to me too.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #89 - 04/03/14 at 11:59:29

for anyone who is considering the chromebook, be aware that it requires wifi fir initial setup, after which you can supposedly use wired internet
cuss cuss fume fume

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:11:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.